making cairo/thebes backend default on linux

making cairo/thebes backend default on linux

Vladimir Vukicevic-3

I'd like to make thebes/cairo the default backend on linux, as we need
more testing and exposure than we're getting (it's getting much later
than when we'd originally wanted to have this done).  Not having it
enabled is blocking some work I'd like to do as well.

The performance is bad (roughly 2x slower); there are things that we can
do to improve native theme rendering speed, but the big killer is text
rendering -- and we're still working to figure out whether it's an Xorg
issue and how we can work around the problems.  Even with the bad
performance, however, it's usable, except for printing, which depends on
upstream cairo work on the ps/pdf output (and we'll know more there when
Stuart gets back from the linux printing conference).

Practically speaking, this will mean that we will have a dependency on
Render (buildtime but not runtime) and pango 1.6 (build and runtime).
--enable-system-cairo will not work (and probably wont' for the
foreseeable future).  argo is already putting out linux cairo builds; we
could just switch it to produce the official nightlies, though that
would add a bunch of machines that are doing various tests to the "needs
upgrade" list, which already has a bunch of win32 machines (for vc8
upgrade).

     - Vlad

Re: making cairo/thebes backend default on linux

L. David Baron
On Monday 2006-03-27 13:11 -0800, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> I'd like to make thebes/cairo the default backend on linux, as we need
> more testing and exposure than we're getting (it's getting much later
> than when we'd originally wanted to have this done).  Not having it
> enabled is blocking some work I'd like to do as well.

We need to figure out what to do about performance-testing tinderboxes.
Many of them would need massive system upgrades to build cairo.
Instead, we should leave them building non-cairo for a while so we have
overlap of performance benchmarks as we switch over (especially if the
performance of the graphics code will be fluctuating for a bit).

This means we need to set up new performance measuring tinderboxes on
modern systems that are producing stable numbers for our performance
tests.  And we should probably be doing this measurement for Firefox as
well, rather than SeaMonkey.

And the same for leak-test tinderboxes.

-David

--
L. David Baron                                <URL: http://dbaron.org/ >

L. David Baron wrote:

> On Monday 2006-03-27 13:11 -0800, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
>> I'd like to make thebes/cairo the default backend on linux, as we need
>> more testing and exposure than we're getting (it's getting much later
>> than when we'd originally wanted to have this done).  Not having it
>> enabled is blocking some work I'd like to do as well.
>
> We need to figure out what to do about performance-testing tinderboxes.
> Many of them would need massive system upgrades to build cairo.
> Instead, we should leave them building non-cairo for a while so we have
> overlap of performance benchmarks as we switch over (especially if the
> performance of the graphics code will be fluctuating for a bit).
>
> This means we need to set up new performance measuring tinderboxes on
> modern systems that are producing stable numbers for our performance
> tests.  And we should probably be doing this measurement for Firefox as
> well, rather than SeaMonkey.

I have some linux perf testing going on at
http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Firefox-Cairo -- Tp and
Tr/Tgfx at least.  This is on an older (1GHz Athlon) machine running FC4.

     - Vlad

Re: making cairo/thebes backend default on linux

Robert Kaiser
L. David Baron schrieb:
> And we should probably be doing this measurement for Firefox as
> well, rather than SeaMonkey.

We should get the official build machines for SeaMonkey upgraded to
configurations that can deliver thebes though - that is, a Windows
machine (creature?), a Linux gtk2 machine (lhasa or better a faster
replacement) and a mac machine (whatever new machine is set up for that
should have new enough tools to allow it once it will be done).

SeaMonkey is moving towards being a XULRunner app on trunk, so we should
have machines that can build whatever will be dfeault for XULRunner when
1.9 may get final some time.

Robert Kaiser