make hidden and random directories visible

make hidden and random directories visible

mistofeles
There i s no need for the directories to be hidden and with random name.
It was important back when we had win3.x and 9x, which didn't have any
kind of security systems. They were used in homes and alboratoories,
where anybody could see, what anybody else had done. Back then I
wondered, if browsers and email systems could have been built with
internal password systems.

Nowadays about every OS has some kind of password system, even M$. There
is no need to hide things.

It is OK to hide configuration data -in some cases.

Why I'm succesting this is that there is no good too to make backup of
the system. 'Copy all'-solutions copy all the garbage, caches etc, too.
And still in some cases they miss the important material, because they
either can't get it in their hand of don't find it.

Re: make hidden and random directories visible

Daniel-257
PTM wrote:

> There i s no need for the directories to be hidden and with random name.
> It was important back when we had win3.x and 9x, which didn't have any
> kind of security systems. They were used in homes and alboratoories,
> where anybody could see, what anybody else had done. Back then I
> wondered, if browsers and email systems could have been built with
> internal password systems.
>
> Nowadays about every OS has some kind of password system, even M$. There
> is no need to hide things.
>
> It is OK to hide configuration data -in some cases.
>
> Why I'm succesting this is that there is no good too to make backup of
> the system. 'Copy all'-solutions copy all the garbage, caches etc, too.
> And still in some cases they miss the important material, because they
> either can't get it in their hand of don't find it.

PTM, the "random" directories that you refer to are, I think, the
nnnnnnnn.slt directories in the profile set-up and these are not hidden
so I don't know what you are on about (and, besides, when I set-up a
profile, I put it where I want it to be and don't have a nnnnnnnn.slt in
my path at all)!

If you are talking about the MS Windows habit of hiding anything below
two levels of sub-directory, then you can remove this by telling MS
Windows to not hide directories or folders or files, whatever.

No need for any wishes!!

--
Daniel
(using his sister's computer)