<button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key when using JAWS

<button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key when using JAWS

Devin Lindsey
Hi,

I'm using FF 3.0.10 and JAWS 10.0.512. When I tab to a button, and
press enter or spacebar, nothing happens! However, if there is a
<input type="button"> then the button can be activated. All of the
buttons can be activated on IE.

Any ideas why?

Thanks!
Devin

Re: <button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key when using JAWS

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha, devin!

no idea why, but the same problem is encountered when using the latest
release of JAWS, 10.0.1151, and FF 3.0.10 on WinXP SP3

devin, have you tried (or do you use) WebVisum -- it's option to force
rendering of a submit mechanism for form controls without an explicit
submit mechanism and provides a submit mechanism (and a "safety") on
form controls which rely on OnChange or OnSelect events to input form
information, which is obviously extremely helpful, plus the info WebVisum
provides is included when one uses JAWS' "list of form fields" -- with
JAWS 10.0.1151 it is possible to use the list of form fields to activate
a BUTTON which i one cannot otherwise activate using the spacebar or
enter

more info on webvisum can be found at at:

http://www.webvisum.com/

gregory.

> I'm using FF 3.0.10 and JAWS 10.0.512. When I tab to a button,
> and press enter or spacebar, nothing happens! However, if there
> is a <input type="button"> then the button can be activated. All
> of the buttons can be activated on IE.
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> Thanks!
> Devin

Re: <button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key whenusing JAWS

mozilla accessibility
Not sure if I'm understanding you question exactly, but here's my attempt at
an answer.

The button needs a handler in order for it to do anything useful.
If you use an input type="submit", then the onsubmit event on the parent
form will fire when the button is pressed.
If you use input type="button" or simply the button element, then you need
to attach a handler explicitly (either inline or after the fact via
javascript).

Here is a little test page. The first button is implemented using input
type="button" and does nothing when activated with space/enter because it
has no handler attached. The second button uses the button element and fires
an alert when activated; it uses an inline handler. The third is an input
type="submit" and fires the onsubmit handler on the parent form element.

<head>
<title>List Test</title>
</head>
<form onsubmit="alert ('submitted'); return false">
<input type="button" title="button1" />
<button onclick="alert('button2'); return false">
button2</button>
<input type="submit" title="button3" />
</form>

> I'm using FF 3.0.10 and JAWS 10.0.512. When I tab to a button,
> and press enter or spacebar, nothing happens! However, if there
> is a <input type="button"> then the button can be activated. All
> of the buttons can be activated on IE.
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> Thanks!
> Devin

Re: <button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key whenusing JAWS

bhawkeslewis
On 27/5/09 21:35, Rich Caloggero wrote:
> Not sure if I'm understanding you question exactly, but here's my attempt at
> an answer.

I'm confused. Are you saying JAWS 10 and Firefox 3 can activate "button"
elements or not?

If they can't, has anyone reported this bug to Freedom Scientific?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Re: <button> tag not getting activated with tab or enter key whenusing JAWS

mozilla accessibility
They certainly can.
I wish the original poster had given a URL of the offending page / pages so
we could check them out. Maybe they did, and I just missed it?
-- Rich