looking for a symbolic debugger for FF extension

looking for a symbolic debugger for FF extension

Andrew E. Davidson-2
Hi

I have combed the web looking for a symbolic debugger I can use to debug my
Firefox extensions written in JavaScript. I have tried venkman and firebug.
I can not figure out how "load" my toolbar code?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Re: looking for a symbolic debugger for FF extension

John J Barton
Andrew E. Davidson wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have combed the web looking for a symbolic debugger I can use to debug my
> Firefox extensions written in JavaScript. I have tried venkman and firebug.

Venkman can do this.  ChromeBug wants to do this, soon.

> I can not figure out how "load" my toolbar code?

? First create your extension then debug it.  Firefox loads the toolbar,
venkman is just there to catch you when you fall.

RE: looking for a symbolic debugger for FF extension

Andrew E. Davidson-2
Hi John

I guess I am a little dense. How do I set a break point in my toolbar code?
I tried adding a "debugger;" statement in my javascript, but that does not
seem to have any effect. I tried to use the "load" feature. It showed my
javascript source file. I set a break, how ever it seems to have been
ignored?

There is probably some fundamental thing I am doing wrong. I tried starting
Firefox with the -venkman option. I see venkman start up, but I am not able
to set break points. It does not seem to know about my toolbar

Thanks

Andy

> I have combed the web looking for a symbolic debugger I can use to debug
my
> Firefox extensions written in JavaScript. I have tried venkman and
firebug.

Venkman can do this.  ChromeBug wants to do this, soon.

> I can not figure out how "load" my toolbar code?

? First create your extension then debug it.  Firefox loads the toolbar,
venkman is just there to catch you when you fall.

RE: looking for a symbolic debugger for FF extension

Andrew E. Davidson-2
I found the missing magic

Once the venkman UI starts up the "debug" menu lets you include the browser
files

Andy