Quantcast

ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

Tito-12
Good day/night to all of you

In multiple builds of Thunderbird i am getting the

"ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted"

message. I thought it is because of the .ccache and first disabled and
then deleted the .ccache but after i did removed completely the
comm-central and complied again i see the same error again. Does anyone
have seen this before.

    INPUT("../../gfx/skia/SkBitmapProcState_opts_SSSE3.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/alloc.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/cue.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/cuetext.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/error.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/lexer.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/node.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/parser.o")
    INPUT("../../media/webvtt/string.o")

/usr/bin/ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [libxul.so] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/tito/Projects/comm-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/mozilla/toolkit/library'
make[4]: *** [libs_tier_platform] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/tito/Projects/comm-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/mozilla'
make[3]: *** [tier_platform] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/tito/Projects/comm-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/mozilla'
make[2]: *** [default] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/tito/Projects/comm-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/mozilla'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/tito/Projects/comm-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make: *** [build] Error 2

tito@worknix:~/Projects/comm-central$ cat .mozconfig
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-application=mail
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS=-j4
#ac_add_options --with-ccache=/home/tito/.ccache

Regards,

Konstantin

Re: ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

Joshua Cranmer 🐧
On 5/20/2013 2:27 AM, Tito wrote:

> Good day/night to all of you
>
> In multiple builds of Thunderbird i am getting the
>
> "ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted"
>
> message. I thought it is because of the .ccache and first disabled and
> then deleted the .ccache but after i did removed completely the
> comm-central and complied again i see the same error again. Does anyone
> have seen this before.

Since you're compiling on a 32-bit Linux machine, I would hazard that
you've exhausted the 3 GB address space. There are three remedies:
compile using the gold linker (which is more memory efficient),
cross-compile from 64-bit to 32-bit, or you can disable code you don't
intend to use (--disable-webrtc I think is the single biggest disable
you can do).

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer

Re: ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

Tito-12
Hello Joshua,

thank you for your mail. I have disabled testing and disabled  webrtc i.e.:

ac_add_options –disable-webrtc
ac_add_options –enable-tests

the compilation was still not successful. I am still getting the exact
same error. What is interesting is that I have 8 gig of memory in my 32
bit system and I am using pae kernel. I do understand that even I am
using the pae kernel no process can address the whole 8 gig,
nevertheless can the linker really consume that much memory i.e. more
then ~3,8 gig? What I mean is I have tested the build 3 months ago  on
three different machines one of which had only 4 gig installed, and then
I did not saw those problems with the memory consumption. I am looking
for a way to monitor the memory during the linkage i.e. something that
will supply history of the memory consumption. Someging like “free -m”
for every  second in for the last 4 hours.  Before writing my own script
if someone knows already the right way please let me know.

I was able to compile the source tree on a 64 bit Ubuntu with the same
.mozconfig successfully. The build was 64 bit i.e. no cross compilation.

Referring to the part where you mentioned “cross-compile from 64-bit to
32-bit” I am currently trying  that  on 64 bit machine with lots of
memory and quad core. Below is  my .mozconfig. Could someone please
share the cross-compile .mozconfig for Thunderbird. Below is mine which
unfortunately worked out for me today i am still having troubles
installing some 32bit libraries.

export CROSS_COMPILE=1
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-ff-dbg32

CC="gcc -m32"
CXX="g++ -m32"
AR=ar
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib32
ac_add_options --target=i686-pc-linux

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-libnotify
ac_add_options --disable-gnomevfs

ac_add_options --enable-profiling
ac_add_options --disable-pedantic
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j6"

ac_add_options --enable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-application=mail
#ac_add_options –with-ccache=/home/labor/.ccache

Regards,

Tito

>> In multiple builds of Thunderbird i am getting the
>>
>> "ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted"
>>
>> message. I thought it is because of the .ccache and first disabled and
>> then deleted the .ccache but after i did removed completely the
>> comm-central and complied again i see the same error again. Does anyone
>> have seen this before.
>
> Since you're compiling on a 32-bit Linux machine, I would hazard that
> you've exhausted the 3 GB address space. There are three remedies:
> compile using the gold linker (which is more memory efficient),
> cross-compile from 64-bit to 32-bit, or you can disable code you don't
> intend to use (--disable-webrtc I think is the single biggest disable
> you can do).

Re: ld.bfd.real: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Memory exhausted

Aceman
Hi,
I am building on a 32bit PAE system. The ld linker (not gold) takes
about 2.7GB RAM at peak but it works.

You can also try some of these options (depends on which features you
need, if you need full featured TB or stripped down just for development):
ac_add_options --disable-webm
ac_add_options --disable-ogg
ac_add_options --disable-opus
ac_add_options --disable-wave
ac_add_options --disable-wmf
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-websms-backend
ac_add_options --disable-webspeech
ac_add_options --disable-webgl
ac_add_options --disable-webapp-runtime
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-libjpeg-turbo
ac_add_options --disable-negotiateauth
ac_add_options --disable-xpcom-fastload
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --disable-angle
ac_add_options --disable-plugins
ac_add_options --disable-system-extension-dirs
ac_add_options --disable-smil
ac_add_options --disable-xtf
ac_add_options --disable-pref-extensions
ac_add_options --disable-ipc
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-installer
ac_add_options --disable-printing
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --enable-shared-js
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-libnotify
ac_add_options --disable-gconf
ac_add_options --disable-gnomevfs
ac_add_options --disable-gio

Warning: from time to time, using these options make break the build (if
some code changes in one of the features and the developer forgot to
test with the feature disabled). In that case, you'll need to find out
which --disable to remove.