l10n documentation

Axel Hecht
Hi,

one topic that we didn't get to at FOSDEM is documentation for l10n,
finding out which of the old one should die, which new ones are needed
etc. In the recent years there have been multiple failed attempts to
improve the situation and I'd like to try a new one.

First and foremost, I don't think that "Mozilla needs to provide docs",
this concept doesn't fly in any region of our community. What we want to
do is encourage and enable you to share your knowledge. This is what
devmo is good for and intended for. I shortly talked to dria already
about this.

So, I see quite a few entry barriers to contributing to devmo (other
folks call it MDC, or http://developer.mozilla.org/), such as "I have no
clue if this is appropriate", "I'm not sure this is right", "my english
sucks too bad", and I we need to flush all of these down the drain.

I'm ready to set a bad example here, just read the articles I wrote so
far (which are now in the Localization category, :Articles is dead as
per dria's post),
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Category:Localization (two of those
are mine, only). They're far from being good, but they're a good deal
better than what we previously had.

So, what I would like to set up is for as many of you as possible to
gather on irc and devmo for something like a l10n-doc day. We would
gather on a dedicated irc channel and find out which docs there are,
group up the work (wikis can do this pretty good), create pages with new
information, proof read, even fix English language etc. I'm hoping that
a day of massively parallel work will lower the bar for you in
contributing docs and will significantly improve the quality and
discoverability of our l10n documentation. I expect to see some help
from the devmo community here as well, to help with technical and
infrastructural problems.

I hope that you guys will be all cheers for this plan, and that we can
come up with a good date. Which would be a good day-of-the-week for you?
Rather weekends or in-the-week? (weekends may mean that we don't get
help from devmo folks, though)

Axel

Re: l10n documentation

Tsahi Asher
i've written an article in wiki.mozilla.org about how to use
mozillatranslator. can you clarify the purpose of wiki.m.o compared to
that of devmo?
--
Tsahi Asher
Hebrew L10n Team

Tsahi Asher wrote:
> i've written an article in wiki.mozilla.org about how to use
> mozillatranslator. can you clarify the purpose of wiki.m.o compared to
> that of devmo?

This is one of the more challenging parts. Nikola answered it to some
degree over at mozilla.dev.mdc (not cross posted here).

wiki.m.o is for project planning and discussion, devmo is for
documentation for developers and contributors. I'll chat with deb next
week (or this, depending on how you count). If you give me sample topics
(mt is one of those), I'll try to get clarification on it.

Axel

Re: l10n documentation

Tsahi Asher
ציטוט Axel Hecht:

> Tsahi Asher wrote:
>
>> i've written an article in wiki.mozilla.org about how to use
>> mozillatranslator. can you clarify the purpose of wiki.m.o compared to
>> that of devmo?
>

> This is one of the more challenging parts. Nikola answered it to some
> degree over at mozilla.dev.mdc (not cross posted here).
>
> wiki.m.o is for project planning and discussion, devmo is for
> documentation for developers and contributors. I'll chat with deb next
> week (or this, depending on how you count). If you give me sample topics
> (mt is one of those), I'll try to get clarification on it.
>
> Axel
these pages don't seem to fall to the "planning and discussion" category:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Updating_Localizations_in_CVS
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_Extras
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5_Localization
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Translation
and http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:MozillaTranslator

--
Tsahi Asher
Hebrew L10n Team

Re: l10n documentation

Axel Hecht
Tsahi Asher wrote:

> ציטוט Axel Hecht:
>> Tsahi Asher wrote:
>>
>>> i've written an article in wiki.mozilla.org about how to use
>>> mozillatranslator. can you clarify the purpose of wiki.m.o compared
>>> to that of devmo?
>>

>> This is one of the more challenging parts. Nikola answered it to some
>> degree over at mozilla.dev.mdc (not cross posted here).
>>
>> wiki.m.o is for project planning and discussion, devmo is for
>> documentation for developers and contributors. I'll chat with deb next
>> week (or this, depending on how you count). If you give me sample
>> topics (mt is one of those), I'll try to get clarification on it.
>>
>> Axel
> these pages don't seem to fall to the "planning and discussion" category:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Updating_Localizations_in_CVS
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_Extras

I'm not so sure about this one, I think I want the trademarks piece
inside project management.

> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5_Localization
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Translation
> and http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:MozillaTranslator