java script for downloading stuff

B.C.
Hi,

I want to use seamonkey to automate some web application tests, for
instance, I want to be able to post data, check out html responses for data
patterns etc. Could someone please point me to some samples or pages or
documentation? I am new to the mozilla platform and I feel overwhelmed by
the amount of information and lack of direction. I really don't know where
to start.

I went through two books about mozilla,  Rapid Application Development With
Mozilla and creating applications with mozilla, but there is too much talk
about various technologies rather than a cookbook approach for various
tasks. One of the books mentioned xpcshell that is used for testing
javascript. Can I use this to create batch javascript scripts that would go
and post/retrieve data/html etc?

Thanks in advance.