internationalization

Mark Waschkowski
Hi!

I was looking for a good example of internationalization, but don't
see any obvious, does anyone know of the recommended best practice or
have an example they can point me to?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: internationalization

Aaron Reed
Hi Mark,

If you don't get a response here, try asking on the W3C's XForms mailing
list.  Someone there has probably attacked it already.  You could
internationalize strings by just serving a different instance to your
form based on the language.  Or embed it all in your form and use a
switch with different cases, one for each language.  But I can't say
that I've thought much about it beyond these types of things.

--Aaron

mwaschkowski wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was looking for a good example of internationalization, but don't
> see any obvious, does anyone know of the recommended best practice or
> have an example they can point me to?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Re: internationalization

Steve Speicher
Depends on what internationalization features you are looking for but here's
an outline in the tutorial for XForms for HTML Authors Part 2, by Steven
Pemberton on providing externalized labels and such.

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2006/xforms-for-html-authors-part2.html#Getting

-- SteveS

On 5/22/07, Aaron Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> If you don't get a response here, try asking on the W3C's XForms mailing
> list.  Someone there has probably attacked it already.  You could
> internationalize strings by just serving a different instance to your
> form based on the language.  Or embed it all in your form and use a
> switch with different cases, one for each language.  But I can't say
> that I've thought much about it beyond these types of things.
>
> --Aaron
>
> mwaschkowski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I was looking for a good example of internationalization, but don't
> > see any obvious, does anyone know of the recommended best practice or
> > have an example they can point me to?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark

RE: internationalization

Klotz, Leigh
One way to do I18N is simply to use a server-side template processing
engine.  You can use any that exist already: JSP, PHP, ASP, even SSI.
You can also use XSLT.

Another way, using XForms, is to use label/@ref and itemset, and
populate the data from an instance.
When the instance containing the labels is fetched, the server can read
the HTTP Accept-Lang header.
Or, a form other can set some server-side parameter which can then be
used later to determine the user's language choice.

In XForms 1.0 help and friends have a src attribute that lets you source
these offbox.  In XForms 1.1 they got removed, not because they weren't
useful, but because it was felt that the host language should provide
them.  That's fine if your host language is XHTML 2, but not if your
host language is XHTML 1.  So, my hope is that Mozilla keeps them as
features of their integration with XHTML1 (which, after all, isn't
specified by anybody).

In the attached files I took the HTTP GET approach, but of course the
values come from files which never change.
You can of course host the files on your web server and use whatever
logic you want (session variables, cookes, HTTP Accept-Lang) to decide
exactly what bundle file to serve up.

And, you can write an XSLT transformation that takes the same bundles
files and applies them directly to the XForms page as is, except for the
itemsets, of course, unless you want to pull them inline as well.  If
you decide to go this route please write back.

Leigh.