importing news from turnpike

Andy-20
I am using mozilla news mail version 1.7.12 under Linux fedora core 1.
I am having trouble transferring my histotic newsgroup articles
(originated under windows98 using turnpike) into mozilla news&mail. Any
suggestions as to how I can do this? Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Re: importing news from turnpike

Ralph Fox
On 26 Oct 2005 00:57:36 -0700, in message
 <[hidden email]>, Andy wrote:

> I am using mozilla news mail version 1.7.12 under Linux fedora core 1.
> I am having trouble transferring my histotic newsgroup articles
> (originated under windows98 using turnpike) into mozilla news&mail. Any
> suggestions as to how I can do this? Many thanks in advance.

Can turnpike export mail folders to mbox file format,
as is implied by the following link?
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030929052354214

If so, then the rest is easy.

1.  Rename the mbox file so it has no extension.
2.  Put the renamed file in the directory which you can find in this
    Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups setting.
        Edit -> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings -> Local Folders
          Local directory: [_______________________________________]
3.  Restart Mozilla completely.
4.  You might also need to have converted the mbox file's line-ends
    from DOS CRLF to UNIX LF.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On 26 Oct 2005 00:57:36 -0700, in message
>  <[hidden email]>, Andy wrote:
>

> Can turnpike export mail folders to mbox file format,
> as is implied by the following link?
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030929052354214

I used a similar method to move my mail into Thunderbird.
I was lucky to not need any changes to the file.

> If so, then the rest is easy.
>
> 1.  Rename the mbox file so it has no extension.

In an mbox format does it have a #! rnews xxx before each article?

> 2.  Put the renamed file in the directory which you can find in this
>     Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups setting.
>         Edit -> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings -> Local Folders
>           Local directory: [_______________________________________]

Done.

> 3.  Restart Mozilla completely.
> 4.  You might also need to have converted the mbox file's line-ends
>     from DOS CRLF to UNIX LF.

Done.

Mozilla only recognises about 830 articles out of 19K. These may be the
ones that are on the ISP news server.

I did try this with Thunderbird with very similar results. Is news
stored
anywhere else other than ~/.mozilla or ~/.thunderbird ? Can I change
the
start time to request earlier articles and force mozilla to recognise
all
of the articles in the file?

Thanks Ralph.

Re: importing news from turnpike

Ralph Fox
On 27 Oct 2005 00:35:59 -0700, in message
 <[hidden email]>, Andy wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
> > On 26 Oct 2005 00:57:36 -0700, in message
> >  <[hidden email]>, Andy wrote:
> >

> > Can turnpike export mail folders to mbox file format,
> > as is implied by the following link?
> > http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030929052354214
>
> I used a similar method to move my mail into Thunderbird.
> I was lucky to not need any changes to the file.
>

> > If so, then the rest is easy.
> >
> > 1.  Rename the mbox file so it has no extension.
>
> In an mbox format does it have a #! rnews xxx before each article?

No.  But it is supposed to have a line similar to the following
before each article

    From [hidden email] Thu Oct 27 00:35:59 2005

or more generally, of the following format

    From sender Www Mmm dd HH:mm:ss yyyy

> > 2.  Put the renamed file in the directory which you can find in this
> >     Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups setting.
> >         Edit -> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings -> Local Folders
> >           Local directory: [_______________________________________]
>
> Done.
>
> > 3.  Restart Mozilla completely.
> > 4.  You might also need to have converted the mbox file's line-ends
> >     from DOS CRLF to UNIX LF.
>
> Done.
>
> Mozilla only recognises about 830 articles out of 19K. These may be the
> ones that are on the ISP news server.

Are you transferring _mail_ folders (as you wrote originally) or
_newsgroup_ articles?

> I did try this with Thunderbird with very similar results. Is news
> stored
> anywhere else other than ~/.mozilla or ~/.thunderbird ?

AIUI unless you have gone out of your way to configured them
for "offline reading", T'bird and Moz generally do not store
news articles on your hard drive.  They treat the news server
as having the master copy, and only download copies temporarily
while you are reading them.

This is quite different to how POP incoming mail is managed.

> Can I change
> the
> start time to request earlier articles and force mozilla to recognise
> all
> of the articles in the file?

For news groups, try adjusting settings at

    Edit -> Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings -> (news server) -> Offline & Disk Space

Maybe someone else can give more accurate advice for news groups with Moz.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

Re: importing news from turnpike

Andy-20
I *think* turnpike exports in mbox format for mail and news.
I'll check that the file syntax is mbox format.

Basically I have about 7 years of news articles which I would
like to keep and refer to as well as new articles. If
mozilla/thunderbird
cannot deal with both types of articles then I need to use a
different tool. Do you have any recommendations?

Ideally it should be able to do mail as well.

Thanks Ralph.

Re: importing news from turnpike

gwtc
Andy wrote:

> I *think* turnpike exports in mbox format for mail and news.
> I'll check that the file syntax is mbox format.
>
> Basically I have about 7 years of news articles which I would
> like to keep and refer to as well as new articles. If
> mozilla/thunderbird
> cannot deal with both types of articles then I need to use a
> different tool. Do you have any recommendations?
>
> Ideally it should be able to do mail as well.
>
> Thanks Ralph.

I don't download news articles.  Instead, if I see one that I to save,
I click on it and drag it to a folder in my Local Folders.  That way,
its maintained on my end.

Re: importing news from turnpike

Ralph Fox
On 27 Oct 2005 06:04:15 -0700, in message
 <[hidden email]>, Andy wrote:

> I *think* turnpike exports in mbox format for mail and news.
> I'll check that the file syntax is mbox format.
>
> Basically I have about 7 years of news articles which I would
> like to keep and refer to as well as new articles.

You can import newsgroup messages into a T'bird mail folder,
and refer to them there.
I'm not so sure about importing them into a T'bird newsgroup.

The format of the two types of message is the same, the
only difference is in a few headers which don't affect importing.

If you use T'bird ongoing, the best way to keep individual
newsgroup messages long term is to drag a copy into a mail folder.

> If
> mozilla/thunderbird
> cannot deal with both types of articles then I need to use a
> different tool.

Moz & T'bird deals with both types of articles.

The difference is how newsgroup folders are managed.
It's not about individual articles of both types being
dealt with differently.

> Do you have any recommendations?
>
> Ideally it should be able to do mail as well.

Re: importing news from turnpike

Andy-20
I have imported my historic newsgroup articles as mail in Local
Folders.
(Just have to strip out a few headers.)
Some dates are being screwed up.

New newsgroup posts I can download and then copy to Local Folders.
This is kind of strange. I would have expected news to be saved
automatically
to Local Folders because I had defined offline settings.

I just need to move my mail from thunderbird to mozilla news&mail.
Should be reasonably easy. fx:crosses fingers

Thanks for everybodies help.