image license

rmartinho
Hi,

I'm developing a small library in java to use with smart cards (will be released with MIT license).
I have the intention to use the sslwarning.png image (it depicts an authority agent inspecting a document) in a dialog that requests the authentication pin to  a user.

The image is covered with a license that permits the intended use?

Best Regards,
Rui Martinho

Re: image license

Benjamin Smedberg
On 2/11/2014 7:26 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a small library in java to use with smart cards (will be released with MIT license).
> I have the intention to use the sslwarning.png image (it depicts an authority agent inspecting a document) in a dialog that requests the authentication pin to  a user.
>
> The image is covered with a license that permits the intended use?

The image files, as with all the rest of Firefox code, is covered by the
MPL version 2.0.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can mix MPL and MIT-licensed code
as long as you follow the license terms for the MPL files. Those terms
won't "infect" other files in your project, since the MPL is not a viral
license.

--BDS

Re: image license

Gervase Markham
On 11/02/14 14:31, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> The image files, as with all the rest of Firefox code, is covered by the
> MPL version 2.0.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can mix MPL and MIT-licensed code
> as long as you follow the license terms for the MPL files. Those terms
> won't "infect" other files in your project, since the MPL is not a viral
> license.

"Yes", "yes" and "sort of, but yes for rmartinho's purposes". (The MPL
is a weak copyleft license.)

Gerv