icalx login details

HerbEppel
One thing that appears to have got muddled during my earlier
experimentation with 0.3a are icalx login details for synchronising 2 of
my calendars with the icalx website.

I can log on alright to http://www.icalx.com via Firefox, and I had
assumed that the login details I have to provide via Sunbird are the
same, but Sunbird now doesn't appear to recognise them.

I'm not sure how to resolve the situation - perhaps I could delete my
existing Sunbird password file and try entering the details I know work
for me in Firefox? Where are password details stored in Sunbird?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: icalx login details

HerbEppel
On 05.12.2005 16:14 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:

> One thing that appears to have got muddled during my earlier
> experimentation with 0.3a are icalx login details for synchronising 2 of
> my calendars with the icalx website.
>
> I can log on alright to http://www.icalx.com via Firefox, and I had
> assumed that the login details I have to provide via Sunbird are the
> same, but Sunbird now doesn't appear to recognise them.
>
> I'm not sure how to resolve the situation - perhaps I could delete my
> existing Sunbird password file and try entering the details I know work
> for me in Firefox? Where are password details stored in Sunbird?

Does anyone have a suggestion for resolving this problem?

Sunbird 0.2 still refuses to accept my login details for icalx - it
worked OK before, and I have a feeling things got confused when I
installed 0.3a (but I'm not sure, and it could well be my own fault).

As I said, I can access my data at http://www.icalx.com via Firefox
alright, but in Sunbird I get an error message when I enter the same
login data.

Where are password details stored in Sunbird?

Thanks

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: icalx login details

Rod Whiteley
Herbert Eppel wrote:
> ...Where are password details stored in Sunbird?

The file signons.txt in your profile.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: icalx login details

HerbEppel
On 06.12.2005 09:45 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...Where are password details stored in Sunbird?
>

> The file signons.txt in your profile.

Thanks, deleting that file did the trick :-)

By the way, further to yesterday's correspondence under the heading
"Can't see my calendar data in 0.3a1", I'm still a bit confused about
the most efficient way of transferring my calendar data to 0.3a1, and I
probably stick with 0.2 for a while until I see a bit clearer.

Regards

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: icalx login details

Rod Whiteley
Herbert Eppel wrote:
> ...the most efficient way of transferring my calendar data to 0.3a1...

The normal way is to import each calendar file into a new internal calendar.

If you have some special requirements, then you could do something
different.  For example, if you want to continue using the ICS files you
can open them as file URLs.  Or if you want to merge calendars you can
do that as you import.

By the way Calendar Folders has tools for filtering and changing
entries.  You could use them to reorganize your data, but be aware that
the current version is still just a prototype--it might have significant
bugs:

http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/calfolder.html

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: icalx login details

HerbEppel
On 06.12.2005 10:16 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>
>> ...the most efficient way of transferring my calendar data to 0.3a1...
>

> The normal way is to import each calendar file into a new internal
> calendar.
>
> If you have some special requirements, then you could do something
> different.  For example, if you want to continue using the ICS files you
> can open them as file URLs.  Or if you want to merge calendars you can
> do that as you import.
>
> By the way Calendar Folders has tools for filtering and changing
> entries.  You could use them to reorganize your data, but be aware that
> the current version is still just a prototype--it might have significant
> bugs:
>
> http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/calfolder.html

Thanks for your further reply.

Yes, I suppose ideally I would like to continue using my ICS files so
that I can continue using 0.2 while I familiarise myself with 0.3a.

How exactly does the "file URL" concept work, i.e. what do I have to do
in 0.3a if I want to follow this route?

Thanks

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: icalx login details

Ilja Sekler
Herbert Eppel wrote:

> How exactly does the "file URL" concept work, i.e. what do I have to
> do in 0.3a if I want to follow this route?

File -> New Calendar File -> Remote -> WebDAV - and provide as the path

file:///e:/folder/with/my_calendar.ics

Replace E:\ with the correct drive letter.

I do not recommend sharing the same *.ics calendar between 0.2 and 0.3
because the format is slightly different, but I use 0.3a1+ (current
nighlies only) with a *.ics calendar for general compatibility purposes
(and I don't like binary storage for my data). It feels *very* slow but
no real problems so far...

--
Ilja

Re: icalx login details

HerbEppel
On 06.12.2005 12:01 UK Time, Ilja Sekler wrote:

> Herbert Eppel wrote:
>

>>How exactly does the "file URL" concept work, i.e. what do I have to
>>do in 0.3a if I want to follow this route?
>

> File -> New Calendar File -> Remote -> WebDAV - and provide as the path
>
> file:///e:/folder/with/my_calendar.ics
>
> Replace E:\ with the correct drive letter.
>
> I do not recommend sharing the same *.ics calendar between 0.2 and 0.3
> because the format is slightly different, but I use 0.3a1+ (current
> nighlies only) with a *.ics calendar for general compatibility purposes
> (and I don't like binary storage for my data). It feels *very* slow but
> no real problems so far...

Hi Ilja

Thanks for the instructions and for the compatibility warning.

Does your warning include *viewing* ics data in 0.3a, or is this likely
to be OK, as long as I don't change any 0.2 data in 0.3a?

I wondered about the binary issue when Rod pointed out storage.sdb
yesterday, and like you I feel a little uneasy about it. Presumably the
developlers must have had a good reason for going down this route?

Regards

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Re: icalx login details

Ilja Sekler
Herbert Eppel wrote:
> On 06.12.2005 12:01 UK Time, Ilja Sekler wrote:
>>
>> I do not recommend sharing the same *.ics calendar between 0.2 and
>> 0.3 because the format is slightly different, [...]
>
> Does your warning include *viewing* ics data in 0.3a, or is this
> likely to be OK, as long as I don't change any 0.2 data in 0.3a?

If you open the *.ics file in real-only mode (there is a checkbox for
that), you avoid all compatibility issues, of course - but it isn't
interesting any more ;-)

> I wondered about the binary issue when Rod pointed out storage.sdb
> yesterday, and like you I feel a little uneasy about it.

Storing the calendar data in a sqlite3 database has been introduced
together with the backend rewrite around the beginning of 2005 AFAIK.

> Presumably the developlers must have had a good reason for going down
> this route?

Sure, perhaps Simon or MvL would be so kind to provide some links with
background information about these reasons.

Regards,
Ilja

Re: icalx login details

Ilja Sekler
Ilja Sekler wrote:

> If you open the *.ics file in real-only mode

*gr* "read-only", of course. Sorry.

--
Ilja

Re: icalx login details

Rod Whiteley
Ilja Sekler wrote:
> ...it isn't interesting any more...

If it's interesting you want ;) open storage.sdb with a tool like SQLite
Database Browser:

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

> ...background information about [the] reasons.

My understanding is that the main reason for a change in the storage
mechanism was speed.  The new storage mechanism is not specific to
Sunbird, and you will see it used in other Mozilla applications in
future.  I'm not sure why SQLite was chosen, except that it already
existed and seemed to be a good fit.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: icalx login details

HerbEppel
On 06.12.2005 14:30 UK Time, Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Ilja Sekler wrote:
>
>> ...it isn't interesting any more...
>

> If it's interesting you want ;) open storage.sdb with a tool like SQLite
> Database Browser:
>
> http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/
>
>> ...background information about [the] reasons.
>

> My understanding is that the main reason for a change in the storage
> mechanism was speed.  The new storage mechanism is not specific to
> Sunbird, and you will see it used in other Mozilla applications in
> future.  I'm not sure why SQLite was chosen, except that it already
> existed and seemed to be a good fit.

Thanks for the link and the explanation.

Regards

Herbert Eppel
--
www.HETranslation.co.uk