[iOS] Firefox for iOS 4.0 localization

Jeff Beatty
Hi everyone,

Sorry this email is a bit delayed. Let's begin, shall we?

*String freeze*: 5 April
*Localization freeze*: 1 May
*Strings profile*: 52 new strings.

   - 25% are concerning authentication management,
   - ~14% contain are web page error messages,
   - ~8% are concerning enhanced privacy features
   - and the remaining strings are for general use of the browser (sharing,
settings, etc.).

*L10n process changes*:

   - *Testing*:
       - New automated screenshots for testing 4.0 features will be made
available a few times per week. To find your locale's screenshots, visit
http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/ . Nightly l10n builds
will still be available here: https://people.mozilla.org/iosbuilds/l10n.html
   - *Sign-offs for shipping locales*:
       - Our sign-off experiment last cycle was a success, so we'll be
continuing to take the top repo commit on the day of l10n freeze this cycle
for the release candidate build. Instead, on 1 May we'll ship the last
commit of each locale that meets the following criteria:
           - 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
dashboard,
         <
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios>
           - Have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's
screenshots (e.g.,  significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.)
besides what may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
      - *Sign-offs for new locales:*
          - We will continue to work through bugzilla for processing new
locale sign-offs. The criteria for shipping these locales will be the same
as the criteria mentioned above.
      - *Issue tracking:*
           - In addition to the new "Localization" bugzilla component in
the bugzilla Firefox for iOS product, we've filed this tracking bug for
tracking any l10n issues you find in 4.0. Please be sure to list any bugs
you file as blocking bug number 1264283.

Thank you for all of your help and feedback. This process continues to
improve thanks to your involvement and willingness to make constructive
suggestions for improvement Please continue to let us know where parts of
the process don't make sense or need changes.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
Looking forward to shipping a lot of localizations on 1 May!
Jeff

Re: [iOS] Firefox for iOS 4.0 localization

Stefan Arentz-5

> On Apr 13, 2016, at 9:53 AM, Jeff Beatty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry this email is a bit delayed. Let's begin, shall we?
>
> *String freeze*: 5 April
> *Localization freeze*: 1 May
> *Strings profile*: 52 new strings.
>
>   - 25% are concerning authentication management,
>   - ~14% contain are web page error messages,
>   - ~8% are concerning enhanced privacy features
>   - and the remaining strings are for general use of the browser (sharing,
> settings, etc.).

It is also worth mentioning that we have switched to a method where the string id is not the source string anymore. So for example:

      <trans-unit id="ErrorPages.CertWarning.Title">
        <source>Your connection is not private</source>
        <target>Uw verbinding is niet privé</target>
        <note>Title on the certificate error page</note>
      </trans-unit>

Previously the ‘id’ would be “ Your connection is not private”. Now it is a descriptive identifier and the source and target strings are the actual strings.

We are using this for new strings and may convert older strings in the future.

Let us know if this causes any troubles.

 S.

Re: [iOS] Firefox for iOS 4.0 localization

droidbittin
Swedish is being worked one, and almost done, we will continue during the Nordic Hackathon next week aswell :)