iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Arentz-5
Hello everyone,

We have two versions of improvements to the menu:

  http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu/all.html
  http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html

The first version has a bit more padding and shrinks down text size to make things fit.

The second version also adds native iOS hyphenation.

Please check these out and let us know what you think.

I would also like to communicate that the ideal number of lines of text for a menu item title is 3. If your locale shows 4 lines, which will currently bleed into the button row below, a simple fix is to simplify the title text. (I say simple here, but I very much realize this can be a tough problem)

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Fjoerfoks
Hi Stefan,

Well done.
Dutch and Frisian look almost fine except for the text "Desktopwebsite
opvragen".
Dutch in a way looks even better with Hyphenation, but I can't figure out
where the hyphens are being set when I look at
https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/firefoxios-l10n/blob/master/nl/firefox-ios.xliff,
or did you do it yourself?
Also, there might be to much hyphenation for Dutch, because
  Nieuw
  tabblad
fits nicely on 2 lines, but is now written as
  Nieuw tab-
  blad

Kind regards,
Wim

> Hello everyone,
>
> We have two versions of improvements to the menu:
>
>   http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu/all.html
>
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html
>
> The first version has a bit more padding and shrinks down text size to
> make things fit.
>
> The second version also adds native iOS hyphenation.
>
> Please check these out and let us know what you think.
>
> I would also like to communicate that the ideal number of lines of text
> for a menu item title is 3. If your locale shows 4 lines, which will
> currently bleed into the button row below, a simple fix is to simplify the
> title text. (I say simple here, but I very much realize this can be a tough
> problem)
>
>  S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Michael 'Coce' Köhler
Hi Stefan,

Nice job. As far as I am concerned, the first version with smaller text
looks better for German.

Regards,

Michael

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Plewako
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 30.06.2016, o godz. 05:17:
>
> We have two versions of improvements to the menu:
>
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu/all.html
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html
>
> The first version has a bit more padding and shrinks down text size to make things fit.
>
> The second version also adds native iOS hyphenation.

Hard to tell, for pl I don't see much difference on those screenshots and menu for the tab carousel screen (not included) was the one problematic.

Latest TestFlight build (14) displays menu strings in English (previous was fine) - is that expected?

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Michael Bauer-11
Works for me (gd) - many thanks for all your hard work on this, *much*
appreciated!

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 30/06/2016 aig 04:17:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Inma Barrios
​Hi everyone,

We have two versions of improvements to the menu:

>   http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu/all.html
>
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html

​Definitively, the first option is optimal for International Spanish (aka
'es')​. Native iOS hyphenation doesn't work at all - it adds 6 unnecessary
hyphens to 5 different menu items.

Thanks for your hard work on this, @Stefan!
--
Inma Barrios [@inma_610 <https://mozillians.org/es/u/InmaBarrios/>]

http://mozilla-hispano.org
http://twitter.com/mozilla_hispano
http://facebook.com/mozillahispano

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Theo Chevalier

Same for French, the first version is way better. With the second
version, there are so many hyphens that it makes it ugly and difficult
to read. It would become okay if we could prevent hyphenation on some
words like on Desktop [1]. But since the width is dynamic here, I don’t
think this trick is possible.

[1]
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/l10n/mozilla-aurora/fr/file/default/browser/chrome/browser/customizableui/customizableWidgets.properties#l9

Théo

Le 30/06/2016 à 09:33, Michael 'Coce' Köhler a écrit :

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Nice job. As far as I am concerned, the first version with smaller text
> looks better for German.
>

> Regards,
>
> Michael

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Arentz-5

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 5:43 AM, Stefan Plewako <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 30.06.2016, o godz. 05:17:
>>
>> We have two versions of improvements to the menu:
>>
>> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu/all.html
>> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html
>>
>> The first version has a bit more padding and shrinks down text size to make things fit.
>>
>> The second version also adds native iOS hyphenation.
>
> Hard to tell, for pl I don’t see much difference on those screenshots and menu for the tab carousel screen (not included) was the one problematic.

If you don’t see differences then you are good to go :-)

What is the tab carousel screen? Can you post a link to a screenshot?

> Latest TestFlight build (14) displays menu strings in English (previous was fine) - is that expected?

No, something went wrong with that build it seems.

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Plewako
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 30.06.2016, o godz. 13:53:
>
> What is the tab carousel screen? Can you post a link to a screenshot?

The screen where you switch between open tabs, opened by taping open tab counter button in the top browser bar.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Arentz-5

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 8:51 AM, Stefan Plewako <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 30.06.2016, o godz. 13:53:
>>
>> What is the tab carousel screen? Can you post a link to a screenshot?
>
> The screen where you switch between open tabs, opened by taping open tab counter button in the top browser bar.

I included screen shots of the menu there too now

 http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-2016-06-30/all.html <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-2016-06-30/all.html>

Is the problem you are seeing related to the menu or is there something else on that page that needs attention?

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Menu improvements, please check

Stefan Plewako
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 30.06.2016, o godz. 15:32:
>
>  http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-2016-06-30/all.html
>
> Is the problem you are seeing related to the menu or is there something else on that page that needs attention?

We should be fine, I don't see the hyphenation problem on included screenshot.

Thank you,
Stef