iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Stefan Arentz-5
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into our options
regarding bad wrapping menu items that have been reported. You can see that
in for example this German screenshot:

http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-24/de/de/iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png

We are not entirely sure what the solution here should be, but I think it
is good to keep the small available space in mind and try to keep the
localized titles as short and compact as possible.

We will see what we can do on top of that.

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Delphine L
Le lundi 27 juin 2016 12:14:55 UTC-7, Stefan Arentz a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into our options
> regarding bad wrapping menu items that have been reported. You can see that
> in for example this German screenshot:
>

> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-24/de/de/iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png
>
> We are not entirely sure what the solution here should be, but I think it
> is good to keep the small available space in mind and try to keep the
> localized titles as short and compact as possible.
>
> We will see what we can do on top of that.
>
>  S.

Thanks Stefan. At this point for v5.0 (and given l10n deadline is this Thursday), do you think you will be able to do anything on your side about this? Or is the only way out to try ans shorten the strings as much as possible (which is often not possible)?

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Stefan Arentz-5

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:35 PM, delphine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le lundi 27 juin 2016 12:14:55 UTC-7, Stefan Arentz a écrit :
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just wanted to let you know that we are looking into our options
>> regarding bad wrapping menu items that have been reported. You can see that
>> in for example this German screenshot:
>>

>> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-24/de/de/iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png
>>
>> We are not entirely sure what the solution here should be, but I think it
>> is good to keep the small available space in mind and try to keep the
>> localized titles as short and compact as possible.
>>
>> We will see what we can do on top of that.
>>
>> S.
>
> Thanks Stefan. At this point for v5.0 (and given l10n deadline is this Thursday), do you think you will be able to do anything on your side about this? Or is the only way out to try ans shorten the strings as much as possible (which is often not possible)?

We are testing code changes to deal with this. New screenshots coming up asap to validate these changes.

Shorter item titles is better, but we will do what we can in code also.

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Michael Bauer-11
Even if the answer is negative, I would still appreciate a definitive
yes or no answer as to whether it is possible to use some form of
break-introducing code such a <br> or something else.

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 29/06/2016 aig 15:02:
> We are testing code changes to deal with this. New screenshots coming up asap to validate these changes.
>
> Shorter item titles is better, but we will do what we can in code also.
>
>   S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Stefan Arentz-5
I don’t know. I understand the question, but there is no simple answer. It depends on the context and how the string is used. It is better to be more specific than to ask a general question in this case.

Regarding the menu titles, we are making good progress with that I think. You can see some results at

http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/menu/menu.html <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/menu/menu.html>

We probably need one more iteration. (Code changes, not string changes)

 S.

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Even if the answer is negative, I would still appreciate a definitive yes or no answer as to whether it is possible to use some form of break-introducing code such a <br> or something else.
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 29/06/2016 aig 15:02:
>> We are testing code changes to deal with this. New screenshots coming up asap to validate these changes.
>>
>> Shorter item titles is better, but we will do what we can in code also.
>>
>>  S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Michael Bauer-11
Ok then to be specific, for gd:
Roghainnea

Taba prìobhaidea
ch ùr

doesn't work, at worst we would have to force

Roghainn-
ean

Taba prìobhaid-
each ùr

But I'm not sure how to force that. Put a - where I wanted it? Hyphen
minus? Optional hyphen? Hyphen and <br>?

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 29/06/2016 aig 17:59:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Michael Wolf-2
Michael Bauer schrieb:

> Ok then to be specific, for gd:
> Roghainnea
>
> Taba prìobhaidea
> ch ùr
>
> doesn't work, at worst we would have to force
>
> Roghainn-
> ean
>
> Taba prìobhaid-
> each ùr
>
> But I'm not sure how to force that. Put a - where I wanted it? Hyphen
> minus? Optional hyphen? Hyphen and <br>?

Maybe "\n"?

Michael W.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Michael Bauer-11
There are too many maybes, I can't try them all :/

Michael

Sgrìobh Michael Wolf na leanas 29/06/2016 aig 20:41:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Michael Wolf-2

I've just seen that I have the same issue for hsb and dsb for screenshot
"iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png".

There is hsb:

Desktopo
we sydło
požadać

and dsb:

Desktopo
we sedło
pominaś

"Desktopowe" is one word. But, in hsb and dsb you can hyphenate at this
place, but, of course, there should be a hyphen then.

Michael Wolf

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Axel Hecht
Stefan is evaluating a bunch of options right now, from asking iOS to
hyphenate, to soft hyphens, to rude mean things.

Note, the menus are a problem on the screenshots we have, but if you
recall, iOS exists on quite a few screen sizes, so over-optimizing for
the smallest screen might create bad UI on bigger screens.

Thus looking for something that adapts well on all screen sizes (not
just the smallest one, which we're running screenshots for), is good.

And if you're wondering why we're running just for small screens?
Because each screensize takes ages to complete. So we're testing the
smallest, and if the problem solutions we find there are flexible enough
to un-hork themselves for bigger screens, we should be good.

Axel

On 29/06/16 23:09, Michael Wolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just seen that I have the same issue for hsb and dsb for screenshot
> "iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png".
>
> There is hsb:
>
> Desktopo
> we sydło
> požadać
>
> and dsb:
>
> Desktopo
> we sedło
> pominaś
>
> "Desktopowe" is one word. But, in hsb and dsb you can hyphenate at this
> place, but, of course, there should be a hyphen then.
>

> Michael Wolf

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Stefan Arentz-5

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Michael Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just seen that I have the same issue for hsb and dsb for screenshot "iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png".
>
> There is hsb:
>
> Desktopo
> we sydło
> požadać
>
> and dsb:
>
> Desktopo
> we sedło
> pominaś
>
> "Desktopowe" is one word. But, in hsb and dsb you can hyphenate at this place, but, of course, there should be a hyphen then.

Please check http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html - is that better?

 S.

Re: iOS 5.0 - Long menu titles

Onno Ekker-2
Op 30-6-2016 om 05:20 schreef Stefan Arentz:

>> On Jun 29, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Michael Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just seen that I have the same issue for hsb and dsb for screenshot "iPhone4s-10MenuOnWebPage-01.png".
>>
>> There is hsb:
>>
>> Desktopo
>> we sydło
>> požadać
>>
>> and dsb:
>>
>> Desktopo
>> we sedło
>> pominaś
>>
>> "Desktopowe" is one word. But, in hsb and dsb you can hyphenate at this place, but, of course, there should be a hyphen then.
>
> Please check http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/t/l10n-screenshots-menu-with-hyphenation/all.html - is that better?
>
>  S.

For Dutch locale it *is* better, but it would be even better if we could
specify where to hyphenate. For Dutch it is now hyphenated in the middle
of a word:

Desktopwebsi-
te opvragen

This should preferrably be:

Desktopweb-
site opvragen

or even:

Desktop-
website
opvragen

It would be great if localizers can specify optional hyphenation points,
for example with a soft hyphen (&shy;, &#173; &#xAD;, \u00ad).

Onno