iCloud

1234 ... 12

iCloud

The Real Bev
Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?

If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Tell him that the

Re: iCloud

WaltS48-5
On 03/06/2017 01:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>
> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?

Only Apple and Windows stuff.

<https://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/>

Linux doesn't exist.

My choice would be <http://imgur.com/>

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: iCloud

David B.
On 06/03/2017 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>
> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?

Apple's iCloud is FANTASTIC!  :-D

Photos taken on an iPhone are almost instantly viewable on my iPad and
iMac - it's like ....... magic!

Recommendation?  Get an iDevice!  You'll love it! ;-)

--
David

Re: iCloud

The Real Bev
On 03/06/2017 12:53 PM, David B. wrote:
> On 06/03/2017 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
>> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
>> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
>> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?

Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
with other apples users?"  Carry on.

>> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
>> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?
>
> Apple's iCloud is FANTASTIC!  :-D
>
> Photos taken on an iPhone are almost instantly viewable on my iPad and
> iMac - it's like ....... magic!
>
> Recommendation?  Get an iDevice!  You'll love it! ;-)

Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...

Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.

--
Cheers, Bev
    everything under control."         -Bill Hicks

Re: iCloud

Good Guy-2
On 06/03/2017 23:55, The Real Bev wrote:

> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.

If these photos are meant for you privately then why can't she email
them to you?  Is this not a feasible solution?

Google Drive, Microsoft's OneDrive or Apple's iCloud (which you have
already used as I see it) is meant for private as well as public
consumption.  There are social websites as well but I won't go there!!

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: iCloud

Ron Hunter
On 3/6/2017 12:46 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>
> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?

She can share them directly to your computer if you, and she, can set up
Photostream, and actually get it to work.  Doesn't work for me.  She can
also email/text them to you.

Re: iCloud

David B.
On 06/03/2017 23:55, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 12:53 PM, David B. wrote:
>> On 06/03/2017 18:46, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
>>> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
>>> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
>>> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>
> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
> with other apples users?"  Carry on.

Correction accepted! :-)

>>> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
>>> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?
>>
>> Apple's iCloud is FANTASTIC!  :-D
>>
>> Photos taken on an iPhone are almost instantly viewable on my iPad and
>> iMac - it's like ....... magic!
>>
>> Recommendation?  Get an iDevice!  You'll love it! ;-)
>
> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>
> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.

Family photos ------>  Facebook!

Have you actually TRIED it?

I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!

FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(

--
David

Re: iCloud

The Real Bev
On 03/07/2017 02:04 AM, David B. wrote:

> On 06/03/2017 23:55, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
>> with other apples users?"  Carry on.
>
> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Apple's iCloud is FANTASTIC!  :-D
>>>
>>> Photos taken on an iPhone are almost instantly viewable on my iPad and
>>> iMac - it's like ....... magic!
>>>
>>> Recommendation?  Get an iDevice!  You'll love it! ;-)
>>
>> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>>
>> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.
>
> Family photos ------>  Facebook!
>
> Have you actually TRIED it?

What, facebook photos?  Or an iDevice?  I don't trust FB for any
long-term storage and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an iDevice.

> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>
> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(

Google photos suck badly.  They wrecked the Picasa website when they
converted it.  I've lost all respect for google.  I use what they offer,
but I wish I liked them like I did when they started.

I have google+ so I can use google phone/voice via wifi just in case I
ever need it.  As a substitute for whatever it's supposed to be a
substitute for, it's unpleasant.  Like googlegroups :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!

Re: iCloud

David B.
On 07/03/2017 19:01, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 03/07/2017 02:04 AM, David B. wrote:
>>>
>>> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
>>> with other apples users?"  Carry on.
>>
>> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>>>
>>> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.
>>
>> Family photos ------>  Facebook!
>>
>> Have you actually TRIED it?
>
> What, facebook photos?  Or an iDevice?  I don't trust FB for any
> long-term storage and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an iDevice.

I meant - have you tried Facebook? You'll never know the advantages
unless you *DO* try it!

Not everybody can afford to buy a Rolls Royce - I do understand that.

>> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
>> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
>> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>>
>> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(
>
> Google photos suck badly.  They wrecked the Picasa website when they
> converted it.  I've lost all respect for google.  I use what they offer,
> but I wish I liked them like I did when they started.

I know where you are coming from on this - but I *DO* still trust Google.

> I have google+ so I can use google phone/voice via wifi just in case I
> ever need it.  As a substitute for whatever it's supposed to be a
> substitute for, it's unpleasant.  Like googlegroups :-(

C'mon! Cheer up. Life's not THAT bad ;-)

--
David

Re: iCloud

Terry
On 3/7/2017 2:04 AM On a whim, David B. pounded out on the keyboard

> On 06/03/2017 23:55, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
>> with other apples users?"  Carry on.
>
> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Apple's iCloud is FANTASTIC!  :-D
>>>
>>> Photos taken on an iPhone are almost instantly viewable on my iPad and
>>> iMac - it's like ....... magic!
>>>
>>> Recommendation?  Get an iDevice!  You'll love it! ;-)
>> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>>
>> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.
>
> Family photos ------>   Facebook!
>
> Have you actually TRIED it?
>
> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>
> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(

At least one doesn't have to own an idevice and provide Apple your
credit card info with AppleID.  Closed architecture = closed minds.  You
can't even get someone to look at an Apple computer at the iStore
without an AppleID.

Google Photos/Drive is an excellent sharing mechanism.  And full quality
photos placed in GPhotos don't count against the default 15 gig per
user.  Nor do any documents or spreadsheets created using GDocs/GSheets.

Re: iCloud

Ron Hunter
On 3/7/2017 1:01 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 03/07/2017 02:04 AM, David B. wrote:
>>>
>>> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
>>> with other apples users?"  Carry on.
>>
>> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>>>
>>> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.
>>
>> Family photos ------>  Facebook!
>>
>> Have you actually TRIED it?
>
> What, facebook photos?  Or an iDevice?  I don't trust FB for any
> long-term storage and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy an iDevice.
>
>> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
>> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
>> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>>
>> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(
>
> Google photos suck badly.  They wrecked the Picasa website when they
> converted it.  I've lost all respect for google.  I use what they offer,
> but I wish I liked them like I did when they started.
>
> I have google+ so I can use google phone/voice via wifi just in case I
> ever need it.  As a substitute for whatever it's supposed to be a
> substitute for, it's unpleasant.  Like googlegroups :-(

I have an account at Google+. It is just a 'stub', with the minimal
necessary information so I can use it to log in on websites without
exposing information I don't want everyone to see.  Facebook is locked
down as tightly as I can manage, most importantly, the 'apps platform'
is turned off.

Re: iCloud

Ron Hunter
On 3/7/2017 3:51 PM, Terry wrote:

> On 3/7/2017 2:04 AM On a whim, David B. pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Bad construction.  Should be "...wants apple stuff to be shared ONLY
>>> with other apples users?"  Carry on.
>>
>> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Overkill for my needs by a factor of a thousand.  Well, maybe 500...
>>>
>>> Daughter said she'd put her photos on google+.  Maybe she'll even do it.
>>
>> Family photos ------>   Facebook!
>>
>> Have you actually TRIED it?
>>
>> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
>> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
>> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>>
>> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(
>>

> At least one doesn't have to own an idevice and provide Apple your
> credit card info with AppleID.  Closed architecture = closed minds.  You
> can't even get someone to look at an Apple computer at the iStore
> without an AppleID.
>
> Google Photos/Drive is an excellent sharing mechanism.  And full quality
> photos placed in GPhotos don't count against the default 15 gig per
> user.  Nor do any documents or spreadsheets created using GDocs/GSheets.

I can't imagine why people are reluctant to use Apple devices, yet allow
Microsoft to completely control their computers with Win10!  Microsoft
is all about monitizing everything.  Win10 is a data gathering
application posing as an OS for the purpose of extracting every iota of
information possible on the users, and converting that to profits.  And
just try to get something as simple as an insurance quote online without
a credit card number!
I have three iDevices, and have no problem with that.  No, they aren't
perfect, but they get done what I want them to do, and mostly they work
fine.  Never owned an Apple computer, and don't plan to.

Re: iCloud

Ray_Net
Ron Hunter wrote on 08-03-17 08:19:

> On 3/7/2017 3:51 PM, Terry wrote:

>>> Correction accepted! :-)

>>> Family photos ------>   Facebook!
>>>
>>> Have you actually TRIED it?
>>>
>>> I set it up for an elderly pal of mine who is now 93 years of age. He's
>>> fascinated that he can now communicate easily with his daughter in
>>> Sydney, Australia and with a granddaughter in Hong Kong!
>>>
>>> FWIW, I've not found Google+ to be the easiest facility to use. :-(
>>>

>> At least one doesn't have to own an idevice and provide Apple your
>> credit card info with AppleID.  Closed architecture = closed minds.  You
>> can't even get someone to look at an Apple computer at the iStore
>> without an AppleID.
>>
>> Google Photos/Drive is an excellent sharing mechanism.  And full quality
>> photos placed in GPhotos don't count against the default 15 gig per
>> user.  Nor do any documents or spreadsheets created using GDocs/GSheets.
>>
> I can't imagine why people are reluctant to use Apple devices, yet
> allow Microsoft to completely control their computers with Win10!
> Microsoft is all about monitizing everything.  Win10 is a data
> gathering application posing as an OS for the purpose of extracting
> every iota of information possible on the users, and converting that
> to profits.  And just try to get something as simple as an insurance
> quote online without a credit card number!
> I have three iDevices, and have no problem with that.  No, they aren't
> perfect, but they get done what I want them to do, and mostly they
> work fine.  Never owned an Apple computer, and don't plan to.

Could you exchange something (per exemple: files, photos, excel sheet,
etc...) between an iSOMETHING like iPhone and a Microsoft windows10 PC ?

Re: iCloud

Wolf K.
On 2017-03-08 03:29, Ray_Net wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote on 08-03-17 08:19:
>> On 3/7/2017 3:51 PM, Terry wrote:
>>> On 3/7/2017 2:04 AM On a whim, David B. pounded out on the keyboard

>>> At least one doesn't have to own an idevice and provide Apple your
>>> credit card info with AppleID.  Closed architecture = closed minds.  You
>>> can't even get someone to look at an Apple computer at the iStore
>>> without an AppleID.
>>>
>>> Google Photos/Drive is an excellent sharing mechanism.  And full quality
>>> photos placed in GPhotos don't count against the default 15 gig per
>>> user.  Nor do any documents or spreadsheets created using GDocs/GSheets.
>>>
>> I can't imagine why people are reluctant to use Apple devices, yet
>> allow Microsoft to completely control their computers with Win10!
>> Microsoft is all about monitizing everything.  Win10 is a data
>> gathering application posing as an OS for the purpose of extracting
>> every iota of information possible on the users, and converting that
>> to profits.  And just try to get something as simple as an insurance
>> quote online without a credit card number!
>> I have three iDevices, and have no problem with that.  No, they aren't
>> perfect, but they get done what I want them to do, and mostly they
>> work fine.  Never owned an Apple computer, and don't plan to.
>>
> Could you exchange something (per exemple: files, photos, excel sheet,
> etc...) between an iSOMETHING like iPhone and a Microsoft windows10 PC ?

a) Subscribe to a browser-based storage & exchange platform.
b) Use email.
c) Use Facebook.
d) Use a USB stick, aka sneaker-net.
e) Er... I'm sure there are other methods.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: iCloud

Ron Hunter
On 3/8/2017 2:29 AM, Ray_Net wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote on 08-03-17 08:19:
>> On 3/7/2017 3:51 PM, Terry wrote:
>>> On 3/7/2017 2:04 AM On a whim, David B. pounded out on the keyboard

>>> At least one doesn't have to own an idevice and provide Apple your
>>> credit card info with AppleID.  Closed architecture = closed minds.  You
>>> can't even get someone to look at an Apple computer at the iStore
>>> without an AppleID.
>>>
>>> Google Photos/Drive is an excellent sharing mechanism.  And full quality
>>> photos placed in GPhotos don't count against the default 15 gig per
>>> user.  Nor do any documents or spreadsheets created using GDocs/GSheets.
>>>
>> I can't imagine why people are reluctant to use Apple devices, yet
>> allow Microsoft to completely control their computers with Win10!
>> Microsoft is all about monitizing everything.  Win10 is a data
>> gathering application posing as an OS for the purpose of extracting
>> every iota of information possible on the users, and converting that
>> to profits.  And just try to get something as simple as an insurance
>> quote online without a credit card number!
>> I have three iDevices, and have no problem with that.  No, they aren't
>> perfect, but they get done what I want them to do, and mostly they
>> work fine.  Never owned an Apple computer, and don't plan to.
>>
> Could you exchange something (per exemple: files, photos, excel sheet,
> etc...) between an iSOMETHING like iPhone and a Microsoft windows10 PC ?
Sure, thorough Photostream, or simply plug the iPhone into the computer
with iTunes running.

Re: iCloud

The Real Bev
On 03/08/2017 06:13 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 3/8/2017 2:29 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote on 08-03-17 08:19:

>>> I can't imagine why people are reluctant to use Apple devices, yet
>>> allow Microsoft to completely control their computers with Win10!
>>> Microsoft is all about monitizing everything.  Win10 is a data
>>> gathering application posing as an OS for the purpose of extracting
>>> every iota of information possible on the users, and converting that
>>> to profits.  And just try to get something as simple as an insurance
>>> quote online without a credit card number!
>>> I have three iDevices, and have no problem with that.  No, they aren't
>>> perfect, but they get done what I want them to do, and mostly they
>>> work fine.  Never owned an Apple computer, and don't plan to.
>>>
>> Could you exchange something (per exemple: files, photos, excel sheet,
>> etc...) between an iSOMETHING like iPhone and a Microsoft windows10 PC ?
> Sure, thorough Photostream, or simply plug the iPhone into the computer
> with iTunes running.

Back to my original bitch.  I can't see my daughter's iCloud photos with
my linux computer.  Haven't tried with my android phone or win7.  I only
do REAL stuff with my linux computer.

--
Cheers, Bev
   VISE GRIPS (VYS'-gripz) [n]  A tool used to transfer intense

Re: iCloud

Sailfish-4
3/6/2017 10:46 AM:
> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>
> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?

Maybe using VirtualBox and creating a virgin Win7 VM and installing
iCloud for Windows on it?

--
Sailfish

Re: iCloud

The Real Bev
On 03/08/2017 11:13 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 3/6/2017 10:46 AM:
>> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
>> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
>> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
>> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>>
>> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
>> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?
>>
> Maybe using VirtualBox and creating a virgin Win7 VM and installing
> iCloud for Windows on it?

I'll think about that.  I deleted my OLD VB, freeing up a lot of space,
  and maybe I could put it on its own partition so I wouldn't have to
worry about the space it occupies.  I hate having backups take many hours.

--
Cheers, Bev
   "I won't allow the half of Americans who pay no taxes to bear the burden

Re: iCloud

Sailfish-4
3/8/2017 3:38 PM:

> On 03/08/2017 11:13 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> 3/6/2017 10:46 AM:
>>> Daughter posts her thousands of travel photos to iCloud in some
>>> automatic way and then arranges to have a link sent.  Unfortunately it
>>> demands that I use an iDevice to see her photos.  Is it possible that
>>> Apple wants ONLY apple stuff to be shared with other apple users?
>>>
>>> If there's some workaround, does anybody know what it is?  What can I
>>> tell her to do to make her photos visible to the rest of us?
>>>
>> Maybe using VirtualBox and creating a virgin Win7 VM and installing
>> iCloud for Windows on it?
>
> I'll think about that.  I deleted my OLD VB, freeing up a lot of space,
>  and maybe I could put it on its own partition so I wouldn't have to
> worry about the space it occupies.  I hate having backups take many hours.

My VB on Win7 takes up about 130+MB (not including drivers and VMs), as
near as I can tell. Is yours much more than that?

--
Sailfish

Re: iCloud

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 3/8/2017
4:02 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 3/8/2017 3:38 PM:
>> On 03/08/2017 11:13 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>>> 3/6/2017 10:46 AM:

>>> Maybe using VirtualBox and creating a virgin Win7 VM and installing
>>> iCloud for Windows on it?
>>
>> I'll think about that.  I deleted my OLD VB, freeing up a lot of
>> space,  and maybe I could put it on its own partition so I wouldn't
>> have to worry about the space it occupies.  I hate having backups take
>> many hours.
>>
> My VB on Win7 takes up about 130+MB (not including drivers and VMs), as
> near as I can tell. Is yours much more than that?

Correction: ~205MB ... I missed a few folders

--
Sailfish
1234 ... 12