http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

OT: prefixes

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
>On 26 Sep 2019 at 0:51, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
>> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
[]

>> >I just checked my French dictionary. It confirms my thought that un
>> >milliard is
>> >one thousand million. Italian dictionary gives the same meaning for
>> >milliardo,
>> >and German dictionary the same for miilliarde. They all say that
>> >this English
>> >translation is British, with Americans using billion to mean the same thing.
>> >
>> >Jim
>> >
>> OK. But I think there _was_ a prefix for 10^4 (10,000). Racking my
>> memory - could it have been myria-?
>> --
>> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
>
>You're probably right, but I don't remember one. It seems logically consistent
>that there should be one, but of course that is not a reliable guide where
>languages are concerned.

I'm not sure I follow your logic that there should be one ...

>Jim

... but it seems, at second attempt, my rusty old memory did crank into
correctness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myria-

It seems there was also dimi- (or decimilli-), 10^-4; hebdo (H), 10^7;
micri, 10^-14; and double- and demi-, 2 and ½ respectively. (The French
devised the metric system; demi is French for half [and double - though
pronounced differently - means the same as in English].)

What's really worth knowing is for the most part unlearnable until you have
enough experience to even recognise it as knowledge, let alone as useful
knowledge. - Wolf K <[hidden email]>, in alt.windows7.general, 2017-4-30

Re: OT: prefixes

Jim Fisher
On 27 Sep 2019 at 3:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
> >On 26 Sep 2019 at 0:51, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> >
> >> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
> >> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
> []

> >> OK. But I think there _was_ a prefix for 10^4 (10,000). Racking my
> >> memory - could it have been myria-?
> >> --
> >> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
> >
> >You're probably right, but I don't remember one. It seems logically consistent
> >that there should be one, but of course that is not a reliable guide where
> >languages are concerned.
>
> I'm not sure I follow your logic that there should be one ...

On reflection, nor do I now. Not sure what I was thinking there.

> ... but it seems, at second attempt, my rusty old memory did crank into
> correctness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myria-
>
> It seems there was also dimi- (or decimilli-), 10^-4; hebdo (H), 10^7;
> micri, 10^-14; and double- and demi-, 2 and ½ respectively. (The French
> devised the metric system; demi is French for half [and double - though
> pronounced differently - means the same as in English].)
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Some of those I don't remember ever seeing before. Hebdo I have come across,
but had forgotten and never did remember what it meant. Double- and demi- are
familiar, both in this context and as French words. Good bit of memory work by
you on that.

Some people seem to be very dismissive of Wikipedia, but there's some very good
stuff there. I use it more than any search engine.

Jim

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Re: OT: prefixes

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
>On 27 Sep 2019 at 3:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> ... but it seems, at second attempt, my rusty old memory did crank into
>> correctness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myria-
>>
>> It seems there was also dimi- (or decimilli-), 10^-4; hebdo (H), 10^7;
>> micri, 10^-14; and double- and demi-, 2 and ½ respectively. (The French
>> devised the metric system; demi is French for half [and double - though
>> pronounced differently - means the same as in English].)
[]
>Some of those I don't remember ever seeing before. Hebdo I have come across,
>but had forgotten and never did remember what it meant. Double- and demi- are
>familiar, both in this context and as French words. Good bit of memory work by
>you on that.

Not me - they're mentioned in the above wiki article, as a novel (since
non-decimal) aspect of the metric system.

>Some people seem to be very dismissive of Wikipedia, but there's some
>very good
>stuff there. I use it more than any search engine.

I use it for things like that, when I expect there is an article; for
non-controversial things, enthusiasts love sharing what they know, just
for the joy of it. I have contributed quite a lot (and tweaked grammar,
spelling, punctuation etc. in several more). I usually drop them a
couple of quid, too, when I see one of their occasional appeals.

>Jim

John

Of course, this show - like every other cop show on earth - massively
overstates the prevalence of violent crime: last year, in the whole of the UK,
police fired their weapons just three times. And there were precisely zero
fatalities. - Vincent Graff in RT, 2014/11/8-14

Re: OT: prefixes

Jim Fisher
On 28 Sep 2019 at 1:56, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
> >On 27 Sep 2019 at 3:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []
> >> ... but it seems, at second attempt, my rusty old memory did crank into
> >> correctness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myria-
> >>
> >> It seems there was also dimi- (or decimilli-), 10^-4; hebdo (H), 10^7;
> >> micri, 10^-14; and double- and demi-, 2 and ½ respectively. (The French
> >> devised the metric system; demi is French for half [and double - though
> >> pronounced differently - means the same as in English].)
> []
> >Some of those I don't remember ever seeing before. Hebdo I have come across,
> >but had forgotten and never did remember what it meant. Double- and demi-
are
> >familiar, both in this context and as French words. Good bit of memory work
by
> >you on that.
>
> Not me - they're mentioned in the above wiki article, as a novel (since
> non-decimal) aspect of the metric system.

I was thinking of the word "Myria", which you remembered and then used to look
up the Wikipedia page.

> >Some people seem to be very dismissive of Wikipedia, but there's some
> >very good
> >stuff there. I use it more than any search engine.
>
> I use it for things like that, when I expect there is an article; for
> non-controversial things, enthusiasts love sharing what they know, just
> for the joy of it. I have contributed quite a lot (and tweaked grammar,
> spelling, punctuation etc. in several more). I usually drop them a
> couple of quid, too, when I see one of their occasional appeals.

I've contributed little bits to a couple of existing pages, but that's about
all (so far).

Jim