http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Ant-21
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
:(
--
"In every enemy that is an ant, behold an elephant." --Turkish
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Rink
Op 22-9-2019 om 4:33 schreef Ant:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
> :(

Will the newsgroups stay?
I mean the newsgroups of news.mozilla.org ?

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

WaltS48-9
On 9/23/19 7:15 AM, Rink wrote:
> Op 22-9-2019 om 4:33 schreef Ant:
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
>> :(
>

> Will the newsgroups stay?
> I mean the newsgroups of news.mozilla.org ?

Why wouldn't they stay?

Kerz is shutting down mozillaZine which is not affiliated with Mozilla
in anyway.

"mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site.
We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love
them just the same."

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
If you aren't planning on actually trying any of the advice given here,

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

David E. Ross-3
On 9/21/2019 7:33 PM, Ant wrote:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
> :(

I frequently use <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries> in
order to make intellegent changes to my preferences.  Is it possible for
Mozilla to host that information?

In any case, I often see questions in the various news.mozilla.org
newsgroups answered with references to the Mozillazine knowledge base.
Is there an alternative resource?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Immigration authorities arrested 680 undocumented aliens in meat
processing facilities in Mississippi.  Employing someone who is not
legally in the U.S. is also illegal.  How many of the EMPLOYERS are
being criminally charged?  If none, why not?

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Richard Owlett-3
On 09/23/2019 09:52 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 9/21/2019 7:33 PM, Ant wrote:
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
>> :(
>>

> I frequently use <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries> in
> order to make intellegent changes to my preferences.  Is it possible for
> Mozilla to host that information?
>
> In any case, I often see questions in the various news.mozilla.org
> newsgroups answered with references to the Mozillazine knowledge base.
> Is there an alternative resource?

That page is available on the Wayback Machine
[https://archive.org/web/web.php]

I would assume other pages are available there also.

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ant graced us with on 9/21/2019
7:33 PM:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
> :(

If one were to look for a definitive milestone the marked the beginning
of its end, the death of XPCOM and XUL would stand out starkly.

--
Sailfish

On 9/23/2019 8:26 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 09/23/2019 09:52 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 9/21/2019 7:33 PM, Ant wrote:
>>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
>>> :(
>>>

>> I frequently use <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries> in
>> order to make intellegent changes to my preferences.  Is it possible for
>> Mozilla to host that information?
>>
>> In any case, I often see questions in the various news.mozilla.org
>> newsgroups answered with references to the Mozillazine knowledge base.
>> Is there an alternative resource?
>>

> That page is available on the Wayback Machine
> [https://archive.org/web/web.php]
>
> I would assume other pages are available there also.

As the information changes, the pages at the Internet Archive do not
change.  They are merely snapshots of the past.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Immigration authorities arrested 680 undocumented aliens in meat
processing facilities in Mississippi.  Employing someone who is not
legally in the U.S. is also illegal.  How many of the EMPLOYERS are
being criminally charged?  If none, why not?

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Mozilla - General mailing list
Ant wrote:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
> :(
The forum at Mozillazine was much better and useful than this Mozilla
Newsgroup. Sooner or later this one will follow those steps.

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 23/09/2019 12:15, Rink wrote:
> Op 22-9-2019 om 4:33 schreef Ant:
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3055133 from
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/d78v6q/apparently_mozillazineorg_will_be_lo_longer/
>> :(
>

> Will the newsgroups stay?
> I mean the newsgroups of news.mozilla.org ?

These newsgroups will stay for the time being but there is no guarantee
that they will indefinitely.

Most support is moving to forum based where people are required to
register before posting so spam and OT is reduced dramatically. these
forums rely on volunteer moderators and they can't be here 24/7 to
moderate them.   For example, there is an Indian chap who keeps posting
crap posts about women.  that guy has nothing else to do in life.  all
he does is post some crap and goes away for 24 hours.

By the way "mozillazine.org" has nothing to do with Mozilla Foundation;
They are completely separate.  mozillazine.org was owned by a private
individual.

--
With over 1,000,000 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

dillinger-2

fyi: https://www.thoughtco.com/bigger-than-a-trillion-1857463

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what dillinger graced us with on
9/23/2019 6:22 PM:
> On 9/24/19 2:39 AM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
>> With over 1,000,000 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
>> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
>
> fyi: https://www.thoughtco.com/bigger-than-a-trillion-1857463

and more yet
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/21/are-we-running-out-of-numbers-10015576/

--
Sailfish

On 9/23/2019 5:39 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> With over 1,000,000 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
> satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

So there are more Windows 10 devices than humans alive in the entire
world?  Of course, that makes me think the entire statement is bogus.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Immigration authorities arrested 680 undocumented aliens in meat
processing facilities in Mississippi.  Employing someone who is not
legally in the U.S. is also illegal.  How many of the EMPLOYERS are
being criminally charged?  If none, why not?

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, dillinger <[hidden email]>
writes:
>On 9/24/19 2:39 AM, 0 >> With over 1,000,000 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
>>satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

AFAIK, only "Good Guy" (who must have nymshifted here) pushes the above
view, which of course doesn't take account of the fact that most
purchasers have no choice. I hadn't noticed his (ab)use of numbers,
though.

>fyi: https://www.thoughtco.com/bigger-than-a-trillion-1857463

It's worth noting (the above does mention it, but only right at the end)
that in Britain up to sometime in the 1970s, a billion meant 10^12, not
10^9; 10^9 was either a thousand million or, occasionally, an "American
billion". [I _think_ a trillion was 10^18 rather than 10^12, as well,
but am not sure about that.]

I'm the oldest woman on primetime not baking cakes.
- Anne Robinson, RT 2015/8/15-21

On 9/23/19 7:00 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 9/23/2019 8:26 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>>>

>>> I frequently use <http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries> in
>>> order to make intellegent changes to my preferences.  Is it possible for
>>> Mozilla to host that information?
>>>
>>> In any case, I often see questions in the various news.mozilla.org
>>> newsgroups answered with references to the Mozillazine knowledge base.
>>> Is there an alternative resource?
>>>

>> That page is available on the Wayback Machine
>> [https://archive.org/web/web.php]
>>
>> I would assume other pages are available there also.
>>

> As the information changes, the pages at the Internet Archive do not
> change.  They are merely snapshots of the past.

Does it matter? Soon there will only be the past for Mozillazine.

On 9/24/19 11:22 AM, dillinger wrote:

> On 9/23/19 7:00 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> That page is available on the Wayback Machine
>>> [https://archive.org/web/web.php]
>>>
>>> I would assume other pages are available there also.
>>>

>> As the information changes, the pages at the Internet Archive do not
>> change.  They are merely snapshots of the past.
>>

> Does it matter? Soon there will only be the past for Mozillazine.

mozillaZine

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
If you aren't planning on actually trying any of the advice given here,
then why even bother asking questions???

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

Jim Fisher
On 24 Sep 2019 at 10:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, dillinger <[hidden email]>
> writes:
> >On 9/24/19 2:39 AM, 0 >> With over 1,000,000 million devices now running
> >Windows 10, customer
> >>satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
>
> AFAIK, only "Good Guy" (who must have nymshifted here) pushes the above
> view, which of course doesn't take account of the fact that most
> purchasers have no choice. I hadn't noticed his (ab)use of numbers,
> though.
> >
> >fyi: https://www.thoughtco.com/bigger-than-a-trillion-1857463
> >
> It's worth noting (the above does mention it, but only right at the end)
> that in Britain up to sometime in the 1970s, a billion meant 10^12, not
> 10^9; 10^9 was either a thousand million or, occasionally, an "American
> billion". [I _think_ a trillion was 10^18 rather than 10^12, as well,
> but am not sure about that.]

10^9 was (and as far as I'm concerned still is ) a milliard or, equally
acceptable, a thousand million. The prefix "bi-" means two, of course, and
"tri-" means three, and these are powers to raise a million, so yes, a trillion
is 10^18 as you say. Similarly, a quadrillion is 10^24.

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
>On 24 Sep 2019 at 10:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[]
>> It's worth noting (the above does mention it, but only right at the end)
>> that in Britain up to sometime in the 1970s, a billion meant 10^12, not
>> 10^9; 10^9 was either a thousand million or, occasionally, an "American
>> billion". [I _think_ a trillion was 10^18 rather than 10^12, as well,
>> but am not sure about that.]
>
>10^9 was (and as far as I'm concerned still is ) a milliard or, equally

I think in French or it might have been German, I came across a milliard
as being 10,000 (10^4).

I remember also the non-power-of-three prefixes: (milli- 10^-3,) centi-
10^-2, deci- 10^-1, deka 10, hecto 100 (kilo 10^3). Centi- is still in
fairly common use with metres, and - by the bottling industry only, I
think - with litres; deci- is rare; deka- I've never actually
encountered except in lists of prefixes; and hecto- is again not
infrequently used with litres (handy for [road] tankers) - and of course
(with elision) with ares, in fact commoner than ares on their own.

>acceptable, a thousand million. The prefix "bi-" means two, of course, and
>"tri-" means three, and these are powers to raise a million, so yes, a
>trillion
>is 10^18 as you say. Similarly, a quadrillion is 10^24.

I remember learning as a child "a million million is a billion; a
#illion billion is a trillion." But I can't remember what # was. (I
remember it being bi-, but that would make a trillion 10^24, so it was
probably mi-. Which matches your two and three, of course.)

>Jim Fisher

John

Actors are fairly modest...A lot of us have quite a lot to be modest about. -
Simon Greenall (voice of Aleksandr the "Simples!" Meerkat), RT 11-17 Dec 2010

On 24 Sep 2019 at 23:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
> >On 24 Sep 2019 at 10:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> []
> >> It's worth noting (the above does mention it, but only right at the end) that
> >> in Britain up to sometime in the 1970s, a billion meant 10^12, not 10^9; 10^9
> >> was either a thousand million or, occasionally, an "American billion". [I
> >> _think_ a trillion was 10^18 rather than 10^12, as well, but am not sure
> >> about that.]
> >
> >10^9 was (and as far as I'm concerned still is ) a milliard or, equally
>
> I think in French or it might have been German, I came across a milliard
> as being 10,000 (10^4).
>
> I remember also the non-power-of-three prefixes: (milli- 10^-3,) centi-
> 10^-2, deci- 10^-1, deka 10, hecto 100 (kilo 10^3). Centi- is still in
> fairly common use with metres, and - by the bottling industry only, I
> think - with litres; deci- is rare; deka- I've never actually
> encountered except in lists of prefixes; and hecto- is again not
> infrequently used with litres (handy for [road] tankers) - and of course
> (with elision) with ares, in fact commoner than ares on their own.
>
> >acceptable, a thousand million. The prefix "bi-" means two, of course, and
> >"tri-" means three, and these are powers to raise a million, so yes, a trillion
> >is 10^18 as you say. Similarly, a quadrillion is 10^24.
>
> I remember learning as a child "a million million is a billion; a
> #illion billion is a trillion." But I can't remember what # was. (I
> remember it being bi-, but that would make a trillion 10^24, so it was
> probably mi-. Which matches your two and three, of course.)
> >
> >Jim Fisher
> >

> John
> --

I just checked my French dictionary. It confirms my thought that un milliard is
one thousand million. Italian dictionary gives the same meaning for milliardo,
and German dictionary the same for miilliarde. They all say that this English
translation is British, with Americans using billion to mean the same thing.

Jim

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy
http://jimella.livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you

OT: prefixes (was: Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...)

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:

>On 24 Sep 2019 at 23:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
>> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
>> >On 24 Sep 2019 at 10:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> []
>> >
>> >10^9 was (and as far as I'm concerned still is ) a milliard or, equally
>>
>> I think in French or it might have been German, I came across a milliard
>> as being 10,000 (10^4).
>>
>> I remember also the non-power-of-three prefixes: (milli- 10^-3,) centi-
>> 10^-2, deci- 10^-1, deka 10, hecto 100 (kilo 10^3). Centi- is still in
>> fairly common use with metres, and - by the bottling industry only, I
>> think - with litres; deci- is rare; deka- I've never actually
>> encountered except in lists of prefixes; and hecto- is again not
>> infrequently used with litres (handy for [road] tankers) - and of course
>> (with elision) with ares, in fact commoner than ares on their own.
>>
>> >acceptable, a thousand million. The prefix "bi-" means two, of course, and
>> >"tri-" means three, and these are powers to raise a million, so yes,
>> >a trillion
>> >is 10^18 as you say. Similarly, a quadrillion is 10^24.
>>
>> I remember learning as a child "a million million is a billion; a
>> #illion billion is a trillion." But I can't remember what # was. (I
>> remember it being bi-, but that would make a trillion 10^24, so it was
>> probably mi-. Which matches your two and three, of course.)
>> >
>> >Jim Fisher
>> >

>> John
>> --
>
>I just checked my French dictionary. It confirms my thought that un
>milliard is
>one thousand million. Italian dictionary gives the same meaning for milliardo,
>and German dictionary the same for miilliarde. They all say that this English
>translation is British, with Americans using billion to mean the same thing.
>
>Jim

OK. But I think there _was_ a prefix for 10^4 (10,000). Racking my
memory - could it have been myria-?

science is not intended to be foolproof. Science is about crawling toward the
truth over time. - Scott Adams, 2015-2-2

Re: OT: prefixes (was: Re: http://forums.mozillazine.org is going to end soon after 21 years...)

Jim Fisher
On 26 Sep 2019 at 0:51, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Jim
> Fisher <[hidden email]> writes:
> >On 24 Sep 2019 at 23:46, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> >> []

> >> I think in French or it might have been German, I came across a milliard as
> >> being 10,000 (10^4).
> >>
> >> I remember also the non-power-of-three prefixes: (milli- 10^-3,) centi-
> >> 10^-2, deci- 10^-1, deka 10, hecto 100 (kilo 10^3). Centi- is still in
> >> fairly common use with metres, and - by the bottling industry only, I
> >> think - with litres; deci- is rare; deka- I've never actually
> >> encountered except in lists of prefixes; and hecto- is again not
> >> infrequently used with litres (handy for [road] tankers) - and of course
> >> (with elision) with ares, in fact commoner than ares on their own.

> >> I remember learning as a child "a million million is a billion; a
> >> #illion billion is a trillion." But I can't remember what # was. (I
> >> remember it being bi-, but that would make a trillion 10^24, so it was
> >> probably mi-. Which matches your two and three, of course.)

> >> John
> >> --
> >
> >I just checked my French dictionary. It confirms my thought that un
> >milliard is
> >one thousand million. Italian dictionary gives the same meaning for milliardo,
> >and German dictionary the same for miilliarde. They all say that this English
> >translation is British, with Americans using billion to mean the same thing.
> >
> >Jim
> >
> OK. But I think there _was_ a prefix for 10^4 (10,000). Racking my
> memory - could it have been myria-?
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

You're probably right, but I don't remember one. It seems logically consistent
that there should be one, but of course that is not a reliable guide where
languages are concerned.

Jim