help needed for ff and tb localization

Basanta Shrestha
Dear list,

We have completed translation for firefox 1.5.0.1. Created langpack.xpi and it successfully gets
installed in ff 1.5.0.1. I also wish to localize tb 1.5.x. My first priority is to prepare a
langpack for both(ff and tb) that can be installed into the version of ff and tb that are in my
computer. Secondly, I also want this translation to go into mainstream so that the successive
version will have this translation ported automatically. I understand that I have to start working
with CVS and all... But that is a lot of work. ( We do not plan to localize extensions, security
etc.). I am wondering if  I must start working with CVS or is that a way to submit my langpack xpi
and and some one from mozilla.org can do the transfer of translation to CVS.

Also I cvs checkout l10n and locale for my language is not listed. What do i have to do to add my
localecode in CVS? I have already registered for firefox 1.5.0.1 localization. Is there a
compresive documentation that tells about starting localization for a specific version all the way
from registering and submitting locale-code( if required).

Please suggest. Any extra information is appreciated.

REgards
Basanta

Re: help needed for ff and tb localization

Axel Hecht
[hidden email] wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> We have completed translation for firefox 1.5.0.1. Created langpack.xpi and it successfully gets
> installed in ff 1.5.0.1. I also wish to localize tb 1.5.x. My first priority is to prepare a
> langpack for both(ff and tb) that can be installed into the version of ff and tb that are in my
> computer. Secondly, I also want this translation to go into mainstream so that the successive
> version will have this translation ported automatically. I understand that I have to start working
> with CVS and all... But that is a lot of work. ( We do not plan to localize extensions, security
> etc.). I am wondering if  I must start working with CVS or is that a way to submit my langpack xpi
> and and some one from mozilla.org can do the transfer of translation to CVS.

There seems to be a mismatch on expectations here. Localization of
Mozilla products is a long term process, not a "do one version and be
done". Even for one particular release, we expect that localizers are
available to help out with localizing updates to, for example, the start
page. Or have a community that they can get to help out here.

Security releases in general don't have l10n-impact changes, so doing
l10n here is a smaller effort, but we still expect some level of QA
resources to be contributed to those releases in the long run, and to
get the improvements on a localization incorporated to the next (major)
version.
Major version updates of course include changes to the UI that need to
be localized, and we're not looking forward to something that is up on
our plate now, which is to remove some localizations from the
thunderbird product pages as they're not maintained anymore. This may
impact Firefox, too.

> Also I cvs checkout l10n and locale for my language is not listed. What do i have to do to add my
> localecode in CVS? I have already registered for firefox 1.5.0.1 localization. Is there a
> compresive documentation that tells about starting localization for a specific version all the way
> from registering and submitting locale-code( if required).

Well, of course there is no code because we don't have any. I suggest
that you do some general background reading on CVS and revision control
systems in general, maybe just some wikipedia articles will do.
As for comprehensive documentation, I have been posting about the lack
of that here in the last few weeks and how I think we should improve
that, with mixed results. There is a document about locale codes though,
which isn't all that hard to find, IMHO, it's the first hit on google
for "mozilla locale code", http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Simple_locale_names

Axel

> Please suggest. Any extra information is appreciated.
>
> REgards
> Basanta

Re: help needed for ff and tb localization

Basanta Shrestha
Dear list,

> Thank you axel for your nice mail. I do realize that localization is a long term process. We have
recently released a whole linux distribution in our local language and we will sure be doing
localization for updates and all. Previously we have done mozilla suite localization including help
(we have included in our distro. only) but we couldn't get it uploaded into mainstream or CVS,
however, its langpack xpi is in my ftp server and Mr Kairo has promised to upload it into
mozilla.org sometime. since it was for 1.7 and its in his last priority. I still want it uploaded
since lot of work has been done there.

> So, I assure that localization updates  won't be problem once  the  process of  checking out and
updating of CVS is known. We always have  team of translators ready. I also do have fair knowledge
of CVS and all. I was only expecting that I find l10n/ne-NP in the l10n CVS which I didn't. and I
am a little confused on how I can have it put in the l10n repo like other language (eg. ar, pl) so
that I can just checkout different folder and upload/commit when I am done with translation.

> Not that, I have gone through documentations on the internet. but I would still like if some one
can list the process stepwise(in short) as I have to begin from scratch. All I want now is to start
off with firefox1.5.0.1 only.

> [...]
>>> from registering and submitting locale-code( if required).
>>

>> Well, of course there is no code because we don't have any. I suggest that you do some general
background reading on CVS and revision control systems in general, maybe just some wikipedia
articles will do.
>> As for comprehensive documentation, I have been posting about the lack of that here in the last
few weeks and how I think we should improve that, with mixed results. There is a document about
locale codes though, which isn't all that hard to find, IMHO, it's the first hit on google for
"mozilla locale code", http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Simple_locale_names

>> Axel
>>
>>> Please suggest. Any extra information is appreciated.
>>>
>>> REgards
>>> Basanta

Re: help needed for ff and tb localization

To follow up here, too, this is about the nepali localization and there
are already a few registration bugs filed, so the next step is to do
some team building and communication to actually find out who has what
on their disks, and how to go from there within the nepali team.

Axel