gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Dave Yeo-3
Anyone remember if this was ever automatically set? I can't find it in
10ESR or newer and I'm too lazy to make room to un-archive my FF4 tree.
The code is there to read the pref and we might as well add the pref at
some point
Dave

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

or-13
Dave Yeo wrote:
> Anyone remember if this was ever automatically set? I can't find it in
> 10ESR or newer and I'm too lazy to make room to un-archive my FF4 tree.
> The code is there to read the pref and we might as well add the pref at
> some point
> Dave

I see gfx.os2.font.hinting = 2 as default on my working FF 17.0.11,
upgraded straight from FF 10.12.

But I have another question: in Twitter and in Yahoo Mail, the menu and
item icons appear just as rectangles with four characters inside (I
assume they are hexadecimal - BTW, are these the so called glyph-boxes?)
I thought this would improve in going from 10.12 to 17, but it hasn't.

Is there an specific dll that would control this, of which I may have
the wrong version? I followed the installation requirements thoroughly.

Thank you and cheers,

Oscar Rondon

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Steve Wendt
On 7/24/2014 2:39 PM, or wrote:

> But I have another question: in Twitter and in Yahoo Mail, the menu and
> item icons appear just as rectangles with four characters inside (I
> assume they are hexadecimal - BTW, are these the so called glyph-boxes?)
> I thought this would improve in going from 10.12 to 17, but it hasn't.

That's due to webfonts not being implemented yet.

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Dave Yeo-3
or wrote:
> But I have another question: in Twitter and in Yahoo Mail, the menu and
> item icons appear just as rectangles with four characters inside (I
> assume they are hexadecimal - BTW, are these the so called glyph-boxes?)
> I thought this would improve in going from 10.12 to 17, but it hasn't.

As Steve said, they're the missing glyph-boxes usually where a web font
should be, often the web fonts are more like icons then letters and
you're not missing much, other times...
The earlier versions of 17 also showed the glyph boxes sometimes for LF
and TAB, which was irritating and what was fixed by dmik resyncing our
font code with everyone elses.
You will also get the glyph boxes if trying to display a character set
that you don't have a supporting font installed for. See
http://www.wikipedia.org/ (scroll down) for a good selection of
character sets including lots of glyph boxes for languages you might
have not even know existed. These can be fixed by installing the right font.
Dave

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Anyone remember if this was ever automatically set?

No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
works the same as if it's missing.

BTW: I never saw a need to configure that, since the value 2 gave
always the best result for me.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Anyone remember if this was ever automatically set?
>
> No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
> works the same as if it's missing.

Oh, this is an old thread. I see that you have created a mozilla-os2
issue with a diff for that more than a month ago:
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/74

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Alex Taylor
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:55:41 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Anyone remember if this was ever automatically set?
>
> No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
> works the same as if it's missing.

Actually I'm pretty sure value 2 is the same as missing, since setting to 1
always changes it (IMHO for the better) here...

> BTW: I never saw a need to configure that, since the value 2 gave
> always the best result for me.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Dave Yeo-3
Alex Taylor wrote:

>> >No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
>> >works the same as if it's missing.
> Actually I'm pretty sure value 2 is the same as missing, since setting to 1
> always changes it (IMHO for the better) here...

2 is the default and which is the best depends on individual preference
and the system. Here Mozilla displays its fonts quite differently on
Warp v4 vs eCS 2.1. Same hardware, different video driver and slightly
different fonts installed.
Dave

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Alex Taylor wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:55:41 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
>> works the same as if it's missing.
>
> Actually I'm pretty sure value 2 is the same as missing, since
> setting to 1 always changes it (IMHO for the better) here...

Strange. Here it behaves as 1 (new profile used, of course).

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Dave Yeo-3
Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

> Alex Taylor wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:55:41 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> No, gfx.os2.font.hinting is not set to a default value. The value 1
>>> works the same as if it's missing.
>>
>> Actually I'm pretty sure value 2 is the same as missing, since
>> setting to 1 always changes it (IMHO for the better) here...
>
> Strange. Here it behaves as 1 (new profile used, of course).

Reading the code, the default is FC_HINT_MEDIUM and we have
FC_HINT_NONE, FC_HINT_SLIGHT, FC_HINT_MEDIUM, FC_HINT_FULL.
Unless something has changed that I can't find doing a quick grep 2
should correlate to FC_HINT_MEDIUM.
I guess I could do a build with DEBUG_thebes_2 defined and see what is
being used, wish they hadn't gone to the humungous xul.dll as it was so
much easier to just rebuild a DLL.
Dave

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
>
>> Strange. Here it behaves as 1 (new profile used, of course).
>
> Reading the code, the default is FC_HINT_MEDIUM and we have
> FC_HINT_NONE, FC_HINT_SLIGHT, FC_HINT_MEDIUM, FC_HINT_FULL. Unless
> something has changed that I can't find doing a quick grep 2 should
> correlate to FC_HINT_MEDIUM.

You're right, of course.

I found my error: I have mixed up the values 1 and 2. I should have
checked that before posting. Moreover, the value 2 is set in a new
profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I prefer the value 1 because many lines of letters get too thin with
the default value 2, IMO. Examples:

My default email font is DejaVu Sans Mono, 14 pt. All letters appear
thicker with the value set to 1. On the SeaMonkey start page a small
Verdana font is used for the body text. Note the difference of the
diagonal lines of the letter 'k' in 'SeaMonkey'. It's almost
unreadable with the default value 2. (Changing the config requires a
reload to make the changes take effect.)

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

> I prefer the value 1 because many lines of letters get too thin with
> the default value 2, IMO. Examples:
>
> My default email font is DejaVu Sans Mono, 14 pt. All letters appear
> thicker with the value set to 1. On the SeaMonkey start page a small
> Verdana font is used for the body text. Note the difference of the
> diagonal lines of the letter 'k' in 'SeaMonkey'. It's almost
> unreadable with the default value 2. (Changing the config requires a
> reload to make the changes take effect.)

Link to the SeaMonkey start page:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.14/

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: gfx.os2.font.hintiing

Dariusz Piatkowski
On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:02:49 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
> > Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:
> >
> >> Strange. Here it behaves as 1 (new profile used, of course).
> >
> > Reading the code, the default is FC_HINT_MEDIUM and we have
> > FC_HINT_NONE, FC_HINT_SLIGHT, FC_HINT_MEDIUM, FC_HINT_FULL. Unless
> > something has changed that I can't find doing a quick grep 2 should
> > correlate to FC_HINT_MEDIUM.
>
> You're right, of course.
>
> I found my error: I have mixed up the values 1 and 2. I should have
> checked that before posting. Moreover, the value 2 is set in a new
> profile. Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> I prefer the value 1 because many lines of letters get too thin with
> the default value 2, IMO. Examples:

I have it set to 3 (three)...I figured if the CPU can support it then by all
means I want the smoothest looking fonts...using FF for Web-only though.