general.useragent.locale on Fedora

Michal Stanke-2
Hi.

Tomáš has noticed here
<https://github.com/MikkCZ/pontoon-tools/issues/37#issuecomment-330837424>
that Fedora builds use "nonstandard" locale codes for
general.useragent.locale (cs-CZ) for Czech. Is it something expected, or
should we report it as a bug to bugzilla.redhat.com?
--
Michal Stanke

Re: general.useragent.locale on Fedora

Axel Hecht
Am 20.09.17 um 14:53 schrieb Michal Stanke:
> Hi.
>
> Tomáš has noticed here
> <https://github.com/MikkCZ/pontoon-tools/issues/37#issuecomment-330837424>
> that Fedora builds use "nonstandard" locale codes for
> general.useragent.locale (cs-CZ) for Czech. Is it something expected, or
> should we report it as a bug to bugzilla.redhat.com?

I think that's coming from matchOS being on on linux distros, and
bleeding their upstream locale codes into gecko.

I wonder if navigator.language is the safer API to use to guess the
users localization.

Axel

Re: general.useragent.locale on Fedora

Eduardo Trápani
> I think that's coming from matchOS being on on linux distros, and
> bleeding their upstream locale codes into gecko.

Who sets that default (matchOS on), some Linux distros or Firefox on
those distros?

I'd like to have it off, because it's a pain to activate a language pack
otherwise (that doesn't match the OS). You have to change
general.useragent.locale *and* intl.locale.matchOS.

Or maybe it's time to have our own basic "locale switcher" (like this[1]
one) in the browser. I think it is a basic functionality that should
handled natively.

[1]
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/simple-locale-switcher/?src=ss

Re: general.useragent.locale on Fedora

Michal Stanke-2
It turned our it was an upstream issue with this string
<https://transvision.mozfr.org/string/?entity=toolkit/chrome/global/intl.properties:general.useragent.locale&repo=central>.
I have fixed it for Czech to match the our locale code, but I see some
codes differ elsewhere. Shouldn't be this string always the same as the
locale code used by Mozilla (in Pontoon, repository name etc.)?

--
Michal Stanke