from mozilla.dev.platform Removing support for OS/2

Bob

On 8/7/13, 1:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> пятница, 2 августа 2013 г., 3:13:23 UTC+4 пользователь Gregory Szorc написал:
>
>> Are there any objections to this proposal?
>
> Hello everybody, I'm the person who's being actively working now on getting
> Mozilla build on OS/2 again with all the new IPC stuff in.
>
> As Peter said, at the present time we have no plans to push our patches but
> that's only because from my experience this process is very complex and we
> have very limited resources for working on that task (no surprise). So our
> idea is to get it all working again first, then create a smaller number of
> bigger (and logically consistent) patches and try to push them upstream —
> while still continuing development in our own repo so that we don't depend on
> how fast the patches are accepted etc. If anybody has a better idea, we are
> ready to consider it.
>
> What about switching the build system, it's not our primary task of course but
> it will be done sooner or later — this is all to have a more robust build
> environment and thus save some resources here too. An ideal solution for us in
> the future would be to put the build files of the new build system
> (Makefile.kmk, generally one per each subdir) upstream but I'm not sure if it
> will ever be accepted — this is another reason why we decided to stick to our
> own repo for the time being. In either case, removing OS/2 support from the
> existing makefiles - may be done (but better after we completely move away to
> kBuild).
>
> Regarding the main subject. There are many OS/2 parts that are still valid
> (e.g. the NSPR code) so if you will drop them we will have to reapply them
> back in our repo. And if we push it back later you will have to reapply them
> again. This doesn't make sense to me — if you are going to accept our patches
> at some later stage. If you are certainly not, then you may go on with that.
>
> I'm also ready to listen to any other ideas on how we can collaborate in this
> case.

I just realized I never replied to this thread!

Given:

a) the in-tree OS/2 port hasn't worked in over 2 years
b) the OS/2 port is using a "shadow" build system, independent of the official one
c) there appears to be little desire to use the official build system for an
OS/2 port at this time

It's my determination that OS/2 has little use in the Firefox *build system*.
(The OS/2 port may wish for some references to remain in C++.)

Bug 969757 currently has a patch to remove most remnants of OS/2 from the
*entire* tree. If you have any interest in preserving references to OS/2 in the
tree, now would be the time to speak up.

Gregory

Re: from mozilla.dev.platform Removing support for OS/2

Andy-330
On Sun, 9 Feb 2014 22:10:19 UTC, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/7/13, 1:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> > , 2  2013 ., 3:13:23 UTC+4  Gregory Szorc :
> >
> >> Are there any objections to this proposal?
> >
> > Hello everybody, I'm the person who's being actively working now on getting
> > Mozilla build on OS/2 again with all the new IPC stuff in.
> >
> > As Peter said, at the present time we have no plans to push our patches but
> > that's only because from my experience this process is very complex and we
> > have very limited resources for working on that task (no surprise). So our
> > idea is to get it all working again first, then create a smaller number of
> > bigger (and logically consistent) patches and try to push them upstream
> > while still continuing development in our own repo so that we don't depend on
> > how fast the patches are accepted etc. If anybody has a better idea, we are
> > ready to consider it.
> >
> > What about switching the build system, it's not our primary task of course but
> > it will be done sooner or later  this is all to have a more robust build
> > environment and thus save some resources here too. An ideal solution for us in
> > the future would be to put the build files of the new build system
> > (Makefile.kmk, generally one per each subdir) upstream but I'm not sure if it
> > will ever be accepted  this is another reason why we decided to stick to our
> > own repo for the time being. In either case, removing OS/2 support from the
> > existing makefiles - may be done (but better after we completely move away to
> > kBuild).
> >
> > Regarding the main subject. There are many OS/2 parts that are still valid
> > (e.g. the NSPR code) so if you will drop them we will have to reapply them
> > back in our repo. And if we push it back later you will have to reapply them
> > again. This doesn't make sense to me  if you are going to accept our patches
> > at some later stage. If you are certainly not, then you may go on with that.
> >
> > I'm also ready to listen to any other ideas on how we can collaborate in this
> > case.
>
> I just realized I never replied to this thread!
>
> Given:
>
> a) the in-tree OS/2 port hasn't worked in over 2 years
> b) the OS/2 port is using a "shadow" build system, independent of the official one
> c) there appears to be little desire to use the official build system for an
> OS/2 port at this time
>
> It's my determination that OS/2 has little use in the Firefox *build system*.
> (The OS/2 port may wish for some references to remain in C++.)
>
> Bug 969757 currently has a patch to remove most remnants of OS/2 from the
> *entire* tree. If you have any interest in preserving references to OS/2 in the
> tree, now would be the time to speak up.
>
> Gregory

I just updated the bug but I think it may be too late as they were in
quite a hurry to not wait for a response.
Andy

Re: from mozilla.dev.platform Removing support for OS/2

Cameron Kaiser-2
On 2/11/14 3:13 PM, Andy wrote:
> I just updated the bug but I think it may be too late as they were in
> quite a hurry to not wait for a response.

I think the best option will just be to keep the code that was backed
out and reintroduce it in your source. That's what we're doing for
PowerPC OS X.

Cameron Kaiser