firefox 1.5 SVG text problem on win98

place
could someone please confirm or refute this, so i can report
bug/investigate my setup.

on win98SE all the cairo bilds, beta1 beta2 and rc1, don't display
anything after the start of the first text in the svg.  Returning to
older gdi builds with no problem.

example below fails to produce text but does show shapes:

http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/paths1/paths1.xml

Re: firefox 1.5 SVG text problem on win98

Antoine Polatouche-3
simon wrote:

> could someone please confirm or refute this, so i can report
> bug/investigate my setup.
>
> on win98SE all the cairo bilds, beta1 beta2 and rc1, don't display
> anything after the start of the first text in the svg.  Returning to
> older gdi builds with no problem.
>
> example below fails to produce text but does show shapes:
>
> http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/paths1/paths1.xml

Same on Win2K ...

Re: firefox 1.5 SVG text problem on win98

Jonathan Watt-2
simon wrote:

> could someone please confirm or refute this, so i can report
> bug/investigate my setup.
>
> on win98SE all the cairo bilds, beta1 beta2 and rc1, don't display
> anything after the start of the first text in the svg.  Returning to
> older gdi builds with no problem.
>
> example below fails to produce text but does show shapes:
>
> http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/paths1/paths1.xml

Hi Simon,

That example uses <foreignObject> to embed HTML markup to show the text, and
<foreignObject> has been turned off for Firefox 1.5. In other words that example
is not expected to work.

I believe that even if the example was changed to use <text> it still wouldn't
work for you since cairo has problems with (can't?) drawing text on win9x. Once
it's released, we may provide an unofficial GDI+ version of Firefox 1.5 for
people on win9x who want to develop SVG in Firefox. You will still need to
download and install Microsofts GDI+ DLL in that case.

-Jonathan

Re: firefox 1.5 SVG text problem on win98

place
thanks. that looks like the real explanation, sorry about the example,
just bad luck i picked that one!  a bit surprised this is not mentioned
somewhere a bit more obviously, hope we're not getting into a situation
where anything negative is getting lowered visibility.

But how will having a gdi version help, i thought the benefit of cairo
was to streamline development, so will a gdi version lag behind/never
get new features.

BTW last time i looked, there were 12 copies of the gdi+ dll on my
machine, installed by different applications!  ( nice the way libraries
reduce code duplication isn't it.)

simon wrote:
> thanks. that looks like the real explanation, sorry about the example,
> just bad luck i picked that one!  a bit surprised this is not mentioned
> somewhere a bit more obviously, hope we're not getting into a situation
> where anything negative is getting lowered visibility.

Not deliberately. I can add something to the website somewhere (not sure where),
but it would be good to have more detailed info on what the problems are first.
If you have time to run over a bunch of SVG and come up with a good description
please let me know.

> But how will having a gdi version help, i thought the benefit of cairo
> was to streamline development, so will a gdi version lag behind/never
> get new features.

A GDI+ version will let people on win9x like yourself develop SVG for Firefox
1.5 and see how it will look for the 95%(+) of people on win > 98. True, in a
years time when Firefox 2.0 is released the GDI+ backend will be hopelessly out
of date and broken. But you don't need to care about that yet. If you're
developing SVG with an eye for Firefox, you're developing for Firefox 1.5, and
Firefox 1.5 with GDI+ will render almost the same as Firefox 1.5 with cairo.

> BTW last time i looked, there were 12 copies of the gdi+ dll on my
> machine, installed by different applications!  ( nice the way libraries
> reduce code duplication isn't it.)

Nice.