finding a merge point in thunderbird

osgaldor
Hi:

I'm a little new to working with add on development.  I have a project I am designing in Thunderbird.  How do I find the list of components in the app to know where to merge my addon with the core?  I'm looking specifically for the filters dialog form, I want to build my add on as an extension of that form.  Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Re: finding a merge point in thunderbird

Andrew Sutherland-3
On 07/15/2012 08:18 PM, Osgaldor Storm wrote:
> I'm a little new to working with add on development.  I have a project I am designing in Thunderbird.  How do I find the list of components in the app to know where to merge my addon with the core?  I'm looking specifically for the filters dialog form, I want to build my add on as an extension of that form.  Thanks for helping out a newbie!

The easiest way to find windows to overlay and widgets within the
windows is to use the DOM inspector.  It will let you figure out what
XUL document a window comes from, see what javascript files are loaded
into that window, explore XBL bindings a little, etc.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM_Inspector

Andrew

On Monday, July 16, 2012 12:39:31 AM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 07/15/2012 08:18 PM, Osgaldor Storm wrote:
> > I'm a little new to working with add on development.  I have a project I am designing in Thunderbird.  How do I find the list of components in the app to know where to merge my addon with the core?  I'm looking specifically for the filters dialog form, I want to build my add on as an extension of that form.  Thanks for helping out a newbie!
>
> The easiest way to find windows to overlay and widgets within the
> windows is to use the DOM inspector.  It will let you figure out what
> XUL document a window comes from, see what javascript files are loaded
> into that window, explore XBL bindings a little, etc.
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM_Inspector
>
> Andrew

Thank you, Andrew.  That is most helpful!!!

Re: finding a merge point in thunderbird

Axel Grude-3
On 16/07/12 10:25, Osgaldor Storm wrote:

> On Monday, July 16, 2012 12:39:31 AM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 07/15/2012 08:18 PM, Osgaldor Storm wrote:
>> > I'm a little new to working with add on development.  I have a project I am designing in Thunderbird.  How do I find the list of components in the app to know where to merge my addon with the core?  I'm looking specifically for the filters dialog form, I want to build my add on as an extension of that form.  Thanks for helping out a newbie!
>>
>> The easiest way to find windows to overlay and widgets within the
>> windows is to use the DOM inspector.  It will let you figure out what
>> XUL document a window comes from, see what javascript files are loaded
>> into that window, explore XBL bindings a little, etc.
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM_Inspector
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Thank you, Andrew.  That is most helpful!!!

You can also look at my extension quickFilters to get a head-start :)

I have added a search box and navigation buttons there...

Axel