exposing touch zooming as a feature of the Web platform?

exposing touch zooming as a feature of the Web platform?

L. David Baron
One thing I think we ought to think about how to do is exposing
touch zooming as a feature of the Web platform.  In particular, we
currently have touch-based panning and zooming for the top-level
document, and have <meta viewport> syntax for pages to tweak its
behavior.  I think we also expose 'overflow' to allow touch-based
panning for subparts of a page, but don't expose anything to allow
touch-based zooming for subparts of a page.  I think we ought to
figure out how to do this so that pages can do in parts of the page
what they do at toplevel, and at the same time benefit from the same
async or off-main-thread mechanisms we use for panning and zooming.

(Or maybe I'm missing something and pages can do this already?)

-David

--
𝄞   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄢   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂

Re: exposing touch zooming as a feature of the Web platform?

Cameron McCormack-4
L. David Baron wrote:

> One thing I think we ought to think about how to do is exposing
> touch zooming as a feature of the Web platform.  In particular, we
> currently have touch-based panning and zooming for the top-level
> document, and have<meta viewport>  syntax for pages to tweak its
> behavior.  I think we also expose 'overflow' to allow touch-based
> panning for subparts of a page, but don't expose anything to allow
> touch-based zooming for subparts of a page.  I think we ought to
> figure out how to do this so that pages can do in parts of the page
> what they do at toplevel, and at the same time benefit from the same
> async or off-main-thread mechanisms we use for panning and zooming.

Being able to opt in to panning and zooming of an individual element
might be a good step towards a replacement for SVG's <svg zoomAndPan="">
functionality, which we never implemented.

Would the zooming functionality be exposed with a non-touch-based
interface as well?

On Monday 2013-10-28 10:00 +1100, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Would the zooming functionality be exposed with a non-touch-based
> interface as well?

I'm not sure.  I think that's one of the interesting questions to
answer.

-David