expanding/collapsing

j-51
and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell i
just installed thunderbird).

how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option, posting
error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be able to
see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.

thx

Re: expanding/collapsing

Leonidas Jones-2
j wrote:

> and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell i
> just installed thunderbird).
>
> how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
> new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
> be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option, posting
> error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be able to
> see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.
>

> thx

View>>Sort by, and check Threaded. Then View Threads, and select the
option you want. A reply to a thread should go to the original thread
that way, at least it does here.

By the way, there is a group on this server specifically dedicated to
Thunderbird questions:

Lee

Re: expanding/collapsing

Robert Blair-2
On 12/6/2007 11:18 AM, Leonidas Jones wrote:

> j wrote:
>> and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell i
>> just installed thunderbird).
>>
>> how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
>> new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
>> be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option, posting
>> error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be able to
>> see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.
>>

>> thx
>
> View>>Sort by, and check Threaded. Then View Threads, and select the
> option you want. A reply to a thread should go to the original thread
> that way, at least it does here.
>
> By the way, there is a group on this server specifically dedicated to
> Thunderbird questions:

> Lee

You might also set the preference variable mail.strict_threading to
True.  This provides for threading even if the subject changes.

To do this:

1.  On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools > Options].

2.  On the Options window, select [Advanced > General].

3.  On the General tab, select the Config Editor button.

4.  On the About:Config window, enter "threading" (without the quotes)
in the Filter input area.

5.  Right-click on the mail.strict_threading entry and select Toggle in
the pull-down context menu.

6.  Close the About:Config window with the X in the top-right corner.
Select the OK button on the Options window.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: expanding/collapsing

orange kid
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> j wrote:
>> and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell
>> i just installed thunderbird).
>>
>> how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
>> new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
>> be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option,
>> posting error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be
>> able to see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.
>>

>> thx
>
> View>>Sort by, and check Threaded. Then View Threads, and select the
> option you want. A reply to a thread should go to the original thread
> that way, at least it does here.
>
> By the way, there is a group on this server specifically dedicated to
> Thunderbird questions:

> Lee
thx.  ill add that one.  i figured this was just for any mozilla
question, it just so happens im setting up thunderbird at the moment.

Re: expanding/collapsing

Leonidas Jones-2
orange kid wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> j wrote:
/snip/

>> Lee
> thx.  ill add that one.  i figured this was just for any mozilla
> question, it just so happens im setting up thunderbird at the moment.

This groups is intended for general discussion about Mozilla related
issues.  In practice it has become the receptacle for any off topic
conversation.

Lee

Re: expanding/collapsing

orange kid
David E. Ross wrote:

> On 12/6/2007 11:18 AM, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> j wrote:
>>> and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell i
>>> just installed thunderbird).
>>>
>>> how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
>>> new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
>>> be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option, posting
>>> error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be able to
>>> see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.
>>>

>>> thx
>> View>>Sort by, and check Threaded. Then View Threads, and select the
>> option you want. A reply to a thread should go to the original thread
>> that way, at least it does here.
>>
>> By the way, there is a group on this server specifically dedicated to
>> Thunderbird questions:

>> Lee
>
> You might also set the preference variable mail.strict_threading to
> True.  This provides for threading even if the subject changes.
>
> To do this:
>
> 1.  On the Thunderbird menu bar, select [Tools > Options].
>
> 2.  On the Options window, select [Advanced > General].
>
> 3.  On the General tab, select the Config Editor button.
>
> 4.  On the About:Config window, enter "threading" (without the quotes)
> in the Filter input area.
>
> 5.  Right-click on the mail.strict_threading entry and select Toggle in
> the pull-down context menu.
>
> 6.  Close the About:Config window with the X in the top-right corner.
> Select the OK button on the Options window.

thanx.  i just did the "view" one since it was pretty easy.  I'm
assuming the "off topic" comment was a sardonic outlook on the supposed
decadence of this forum, but I'm going to assume its fine to post any
other thunderbird and/or firefox questions in this forum.

Re: expanding/collapsing

Leonidas Jones-2
orange kid wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 12/6/2007 11:18 AM, Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>> j wrote:
/snip/

> thanx.  i just did the "view" one since it was pretty easy.  I'm
> assuming the "off topic" comment was a sardonic outlook on the supposed
> decadence of this forum, but I'm going to assume its fine to post any
> other thunderbird and/or firefox questions in this forum.

You can post here.  My only thought was that you will likely get faster

Actually, I don't know that I would use the word decadence.  It is good
to have a group to place hte off topic material in.

Lee

Re: expanding/collapsing

orange kid
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> orange kid wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
> /snip/
>>>
>> thanx.  i just did the "view" one since it was pretty easy.  I'm
>> assuming the "off topic" comment was a sardonic outlook on the
>> supposed decadence of this forum, but I'm going to assume its fine to
>> post any other thunderbird and/or firefox questions in this forum.
>
> You can post here.  My only thought was that you will likely get faster
>
> Actually, I don't know that I would use the word decadence.  It is good
> to have a group to place hte off topic material in.
>
> Lee

duly noted

Re: expanding/collapsing

squaredancer
On 06.12.2007 19:01, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  j to generate
the following:? :

> and yet another question to be derisively sneered at (as you can tell i
> just installed thunderbird).
>
> how do I (or can i) make it so that replies to threads dont show as a
> new thread but attach themselves to the original thread which can then
> be collapsed or expanded.  Is this s view option, add-on option, posting
> error?  of course the answer to this is something I should be able to
> see right in front of my face but cant for some reason im sure.
>

> thx

when you have TB set up, look to the very right of the header-bars where
you see "Subject" "Sender" "Date" - there is a small square that has a
malformed cross in it!  See it??  Click on that and you get a dropdown
list of headers.... click on "Thread"  and another column will appear -
this is the thread expand and colapse column!
You can "click, hold and drag" the columns into any order you prefer!

reg

Re: expanding/collapsing

The Real Bev
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> orange kid wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
> /snip/
>>>
>> thanx.  i just did the "view" one since it was pretty easy.  I'm
>> assuming the "off topic" comment was a sardonic outlook on the supposed
>> decadence of this forum, but I'm going to assume its fine to post any
>> other thunderbird and/or firefox questions in this forum.
>
> You can post here.  My only thought was that you will likely get faster
>
> Actually, I don't know that I would use the word decadence.  It is good
> to have a group to place hte off topic material in.

Chocolate is decadence.  Rum-raisin ice cream is decadence, especially
with hot fudge sauce.  Words are fun.  Perhaps it's appropriate to look
upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.

Re: expanding/collapsing

Leonidas Jones-2
The Real Bev wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> orange kid wrote:

/snip/

> Chocolate is decadence.  Rum-raisin ice cream is decadence, especially
> with hot fudge sauce.  Words are fun.  Perhaps it's appropriate to look
> upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.

Watch yourself, Bev, you may get banned from here.  ;)

Lee

Re: expanding/collapsing

The Real Bev
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Chocolate is decadence.  Rum-raisin ice cream is decadence, especially
>> with hot fudge sauce.  Words are fun.  Perhaps it's appropriate to look
>> upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.
>
> Watch yourself, Bev, you may get banned from here.  ;)

I don't think anybody has been banned from here, has (s)he?  I was
warned when I posted inappropriately in the support groups, and I
obeyed.  As a Real Moderator myself, I think that off-topicality is fine
--  useless wrangling is something completely different.

Re: expanding/collapsing

Leonidas Jones-2
The Real Bev wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> Chocolate is decadence.  Rum-raisin ice cream is decadence,
>>> especially with hot fudge sauce.  Words are fun.  Perhaps it's
>>> appropriate to look upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring
>>> your own soapbox.
>>
>> Watch yourself, Bev, you may get banned from here.  ;)
>
> I don't think anybody has been banned from here, has (s)he?  I was
> warned when I posted inappropriately in the support groups, and I
> obeyed.  As a Real Moderator myself, I think that off-topicality is fine
> --  useless wrangling is something completely different.

 From this group no, it was intended as an ironic remark, based on the
other threads in this group. Sorry to bother you.

Lee

Re: expanding/collapsing

The Real Bev
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Watch yourself, Bev, you may get banned from here.  ;)
>>
>> I don't think anybody has been banned from here, has (s)he?  I was
>> warned when I posted inappropriately in the support groups, and I
>> obeyed.  As a Real Moderator myself, I think that off-topicality is fine
>> --  useless wrangling is something completely different.
>
> From this group no, it was intended as an ironic remark, based on the
> other threads in this group. Sorry to bother you.

Bother?  Huh?  Yeah, I knew how you meant it.  I'm sorry if I made you
think you stepped on my corns, nothing could be farther from the truth
and I'm glad you're back.

Actually, I'm about as sensitive as a toilet seat :-)  Let the wild
rumpus continue!

Re: expanding/collapsing

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
The Real Bev wrote:
> Perhaps it's appropriate to look
> upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.

I agree, but look what happened to me under my posting of
"Someone has the audacity to blog me!!!"  I was expressing
myself, and look what happened. I was critizised for doing
it.  I was called an idiot, a jerk, and a few other names I
won't mention.  It was also suggested by someone that I be
banned from the general group.  So, some Mozilla Free Speech
Area.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: expanding/collapsing

Billy Holmes
Quoting Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<[hidden email]>:

> I agree, but look what happened to me under my posting of
> "Someone has the audacity to blog me!!!"  I was expressing
> myself, and look what happened. I was critizised for doing

if you don't want people to disagree with you, then don't post
something they can disagree with.

It's a risk we all take.

I don't want you to NOT express yourself. However, if I don't agree
with your conclusions, please don't take it personally.

Re: expanding/collapsing

Robert Blair-2
On 12/6/2007 11:06 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Perhaps it's appropriate to look
>> upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.
>
> I agree, but look what happened to me under my posting of
> "Someone has the audacity to blog me!!!"  I was expressing
> myself, and look what happened. I was critizised for doing
> it.  I was called an idiot, a jerk, and a few other names I
> won't mention.  It was also suggested by someone that I be
> banned from the general group.  So, some Mozilla Free Speech
> Area.

Express yourself.  Make your point.  And then let it go.

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt.

Quoting "David E. Ross" <[hidden email]>:

> It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
> mouth and remove all doubt.

wow. I thought Mark Twain said that, but I can't find a definitive
answer on that. From what I can find, it's been attributed to various
other people/books throughout history.. even the bible. (proverbs 17:28)

Re: expanding/collapsing

The Real Bev
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Perhaps it's appropriate to look
>> upon m.g as the Mozilla Free Speech Area.  Bring your own soapbox.
>
> I agree, but look what happened to me under my posting of
> "Someone has the audacity to blog me!!!"  I was expressing
> myself, and look what happened. I was critizised for doing
> it.  I was called an idiot, a jerk, and a few other names I
> won't mention.  It was also suggested by someone that I be
> banned from the general group.  So, some Mozilla Free Speech
> Area.

"Free speech" means free for them as well as you.  You are free to
speak.  Others are free to call you an <insult of choice>. Come on,
Potty, man up!

Trust me, I know these things :-)

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
"One's chances of winning the lottery are not appreciably
improved by actually buying a ticket."

Re: expanding/collapsing

Terry R.
On 12/7/2007 8:03 AM On a whim, Billy Holmes pounded out on the keyboard

> Quoting "David E. Ross" <[hidden email]>:
>

>> It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your
>> mouth and remove all doubt.
>
> wow. I thought Mark Twain said that, but I can't find a definitive
> answer on that. From what I can find, it's been attributed to various
> other people/books throughout history.. even the bible. (proverbs 17:28)

Not "even", that's where it originated.  Still relevant today...

--
Terry R.