empty default value in drop down lists

Kleegrewe, Christian
Hi,

we are using bugzilla 4.4 in various projects as a ticket management system. Users can create requests for different products and components. Doing this The have to fill custom forms to provide the information needed to process the requests. Some of these forms contain custom fields implemented as drop down lists. These drop down lists are mandatory to fill out. Unformtunately we do not know how to define empty (or invalid) default values for the drop down lists so that users have to choose a correct entry. By now there is a valid default value which has the effect that users don't care for this field since tickets can be created without choosing a value here so that
90% of the tickets are created with the default values which is not desired.

Thanks for help,

Christian

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
Research and Technology Center
CT RTC BAM KMR-DE
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München, Deutschland
Tel.: +49 89 636-633785
Mobil: +49 152 54914768
mailto:[hidden email]

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Joe Kaeser, Vorsitzender; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Siegfried Russwurm, Ralf P. Thomas; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München, Deutschland; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

AW: empty default value in drop down lists

Kleegrewe, Christian
Hello Thorsten Schöning

Thanks for the quick answer. We have the --- option too but for some reason users can create tickets without changing from --- to a valid value although the drop down field is mandatory. On the other hand whenever I comment a bug I get an error in case that --- is selected in the box which tells me that I have to select a value in this box.

Thanks, Christian

am Freitag, 20. November 2015 um 16:53 schrieben Sie:

> These drop
> down lists are mandatory to fill out. Unformtunately we do not know
> how to define empty (or invalid) default values for the drop down
> lists so that users have to choose a correct entry.

My Bugzilla 5.0 provides a default value of "---" in such cases, which can't be deleted and is initially shown. Don't know if this was new with 5.0 or if you have changed some field valued or such, but you should be able to test this easily yourself on landfill:

http://landfill.bugzilla.org

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail: [hidden email]
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      http://www.AM-SoFT.de/

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln AG Hannover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: AW: empty default value in drop down lists

Gervase Markham
On 20/11/15 17:24, Kleegrewe, Christian wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer. We have the --- option too but for some
> reason users can create tickets without changing from --- to a valid
> value although the drop down field is mandatory. On the other hand

IIRC, the "---" value is not special; it's just a value, so it's a valid
value in any situation.

> whenever I comment a bug I get an error in case that --- is selected
> in the box which tells me that I have to select a value in this box.

I suspect this is a customization that your site has made; I'm fairly
sure Bugzilla doesn't do this by default.

If you want "---" not to be allowed on bug filing, the simplest thing is
to add form-checking JavaScript to the bug filing page. The next option
would be to create a small extension which handles the
bug_check_can_change_field hook and disallows setting the field to that
value entirely.

Gerv