email address problem

darkenergy
Hi - I just joined this group, and a cursory look through the email
archives and bugzilla didn't reveal anything so thought I would join and
ask.. Sorry if this is a repeat question...

I am running bugzilla, updated to 3.02 and have a problem with it
sending email to one of our users. (Works fine for everyone else.) His
email address is a bit unusual, so perhaps the problem lies with it? It
is something like   [hidden email]  so the only thing
that is unusual is the dot located between the first and last name in
the leading part of his email address. I checked the admin settings for
email address valid formats - emailregexp (it is the default -
^[\w\.\+\-=]+@[\w\.\-]+\.[\w\-]+$) and from what I can tell it seems
that the leading dot should not be a problem.  I can send email to him
via the same email server using other email clients without problems.

If this is not a problem, then any ideas where/how to track down this
problem... Am running bugzilla under Linux/SuSE10.1 with Apache

Thanks for any and all suggestions..   Marc...

RE: email address problem

Tosh, Michael J
Check your sendmail log. /var/log/sendmail, possibly.  You could also
set the delivery type to 'test' in parameters. Then you can see the
emails in the data/mailer.testfile.

Re: email address problem

Marc Schumann
Marc,

2007/11/7, Marc Chamberlin <[hidden email]>:
> I am running bugzilla, updated to 3.02 and have a problem with it
> sending email to one of our users. (Works fine for everyone else.) His

the dot in the address doesn't hurt. I suspect the receiver's or
receiver's provider's spam filter settings.

   Regards
      Marc

Re: email address problem

darkenergy
Thanks Michael, Jeff for your replies and help. You got me looking in
the right direction. I was not using sendmail to handle bugzilla's email
, instead I had configured bugzilla to use our internal smtp server.
Turns out that was where the problem laid, this server was actually
requiring authorization and would not relay  email to anyone other than
users known to it. So that included everyone inside our company, but not
outside.

I was unable to figure out how to configure bugzilla so as to work with
an smtp server that requires a password to send email. Is  that
possible? So instead, I dug into sendmail and figured out how to use it.
Was a challenge as the email server we use is running on the same
machine as bugzilla. Normally sendmail wants to act as a full service
email server so having it run at the same time as another email server
is not really possible. Fortunately sendmail is capable of running as a
relay, working with an smtp server that requires authorization, does not
have to run as a daemon and can handle loopback email... so bottom line,
with a number of configuration changes,  I got it to work...

Not an easy task but doable... Would be a lot easier if bugzilla could
be configured to work directly with an smtp email server that requires
authorization...

    Marc...

Tosh, Michael J wrote:

> Check your sendmail log. /var/log/sendmail, possibly.  You could also
> set the delivery type to 'test' in parameters. Then you can see the
> emails in the data/mailer.testfile.

Re[2]: email address problem

Thorsten Schöning
Guten Tag Marc Chamberlin,
am Samstag, 10. November 2007 um 07:42 schrieben Sie:

> I was unable to figure out how to configure bugzilla so as to work with
> an smtp server that requires a password to send email. Is  that
> possible?

Not at the moment, as far es I know.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  [hidden email]
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT Potsdam GmbH, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 12480, Geschäftsführer Andreas Muchow

RE: Re[2]: email address problem

Tosh, Michael J
If you are using SMTP as your delivery method, you can send username and password elements to the argument array in Bugzilla/Mailer.pm.

See "man Email::Send::SMTP" for more info.