download actions

David Tholen
In the old Mozilla suite, I could manually add new entries to the
helper applications list, so that when somebody sent me a .pdf
file as an attachment, for example, I could have it launch
Acrobat reader when I double-clicked on the attachment.

Now with Thunderbird, in Tools --> Options --> Attachments,
there is this Download Actions section with a "View & Edit
Actions..." button, but there is no obvious way to add new
entries to the list.  It only allows you to remove or change
an entry.  While I was using the older Thunderbird 1.0
release, one entry eventually appeared in the list automatically,
but I have since upgraded to Thunderbird 1.5, and the list is
empty.

What do I have to do to get it to launch Acrobat reader when
I double click on a .pdf file?  The only choice Thunderbird
is currently giving me is to save the file to disk.  I don't
even have the option to open it, and browse for an application
to do so.

Re: download actions

Peter Weilbacher
David Tholen wrote:

> What do I have to do to get it to launch Acrobat reader when
> I double click on a .pdf file?  The only choice Thunderbird
> is currently giving me is to save the file to disk.  I don't
> even have the option to open it, and browse for an application
> to do so.

That's the main advantage of my PmW-Tb, because it uses Rich Walsh's WPS
magic. When you double click on a PDF there you can choose a WPS program
object (the one that is default WPS object for a certain file type or
file extension should be the default association from PmW-Tb, too).
--
Cheers, Peter.
                                               Please reply in newsgroup

Re: download actions

Mike Luther
Interesting difference seen here!

David Tholen wrote:

> In the old Mozilla suite, I could manually add new entries to the
> helper applications list, so that when somebody sent me a .pdf
> file as an attachment, for example, I could have it launch
> Acrobat reader when I double-clicked on the attachment.
>
> Now with Thunderbird, in Tools --> Options --> Attachments,
> there is this Download Actions section with a "View & Edit
> Actions..." button, but there is no obvious way to add new
> entries to the list.  It only allows you to remove or change
> an entry.  While I was using the older Thunderbird 1.0
> release, one entry eventually appeared in the list automatically,
> but I have since upgraded to Thunderbird 1.5, and the list is
> empty.
>
> What do I have to do to get it to launch Acrobat reader when
> I double click on a .pdf file?  The only choice Thunderbird
> is currently giving me is to save the file to disk.  I don't
> even have the option to open it, and browse for an application
> to do so.

In Peter's Seamonkey installer first much appreciated contribution, the
Browser configuration pane still has an answer.  Up on the top bar,
click 'Edit'.  Then click on 'Preferences'.  Click on 'Helper
Applications'.  At this point you can still add, edit and delete the
portfolio of helper applications that the browser here still follows for
the file names you wish to target.  You create a NEW helper application
from the master pane to do this.  Here is an example.

If, for example, you wish to open .PDF files with Acrobat 3, you can
specify a MIME type of 'Application/PDF'.  Next you describe it as
'Acrobat'.  Next you specify an extension of '.pdf'.  Next in the
section When A File Of This Type is Encountered, let's assume you have
the old Acrobat Reader installed in your C:\ drive.  You enter
'c:\acrobat3\reados2\acro.cmd', where that command file is , for
example, a small REXX script:

> /* ACRO.CMD Reads PDFs from MOZILLA */
> "c:"
> cd "c:\ACROBAT3\READOS2"
> acroread.exe "%1"
> say "Save file here? <Y>:"
> pull answer
> IF answer <> "Y"
> THEN
>   DO
>     DEL "%1"
>   END
> exit

The above has the added feature, that if you want to save the .PDF file
in the \TEMP directory, which is where this temporary action resides
when you do this, you can tell the toolsets to do that.  From that
point, you can do whatever you want, with, for example File Freedom, to
move the .PDF file wherever you want it stored.  Or .. if you don't
answer the question 'Y', the file simply goes away and back to the
browser you go.

Obviously one could use the later Ghostview to do the same thing.

Another useful example of this technique is the automatic substitution
of the ZOC TelNet mode client to work with TelNet BBS's,  ham radio
telnet DX clusters, OS/2 remote debugging operations on jammed desktops
from afar, if they are set up to do this.   Of course if you are going
to use the ZOC product, you must have installed it, grin!  Then, here is
how to do this.  Create a NEW helper application again.

Specify a MIME type of 'URL Telnet Protocol'.  Next you describe it as
'URL Telnet Protocol'.  No extension is specified - leave it blank.
assume you have the ZOC application installed in your C:\ drive.  Choose
to have the ZOC tool open this URL address.   You enter
'c:\zoc\zocit.cmd', where that command file is, for example, a small
plain COMMAND file you create in the ZOC directory:

> c:
> cd c:\zoc
> zoc.exe /telnet: %1

To visit a wonderful FidoNet TelNet BBS here in Region 19, you then
enter in your URL address, 'telnet://bbs.sursum-corda.com' in Seamonkey
and presto, you ZOC will hop right to it, and auto dial up Marc Lewis'
site.  Which ZOC can, for example, fully script automate your connection
data Marc requires.  Amazing .. Fido still exists and even TelNet ..
But if you wanted it phone dialup and ZOC was configured to handle this
'TelNet' connection as a POTS call, my guess is you'd even get that that
way.

   ;)

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther

Re: download actions

David Tholen
>> What do I have to do to get it to launch Acrobat reader when
>> I double click on a .pdf file?  The only choice Thunderbird
>> is currently giving me is to save the file to disk.  I don't
>> even have the option to open it, and browse for an application
>> to do so.

> That's the main advantage of my PmW-Tb, because it uses Rich Walsh's WPS
> magic. When you double click on a PDF there you can choose a WPS program
> object (the one that is default WPS object for a certain file type or
> file extension should be the default association from PmW-Tb, too).

Are you saying that there are two Thunderbirds for OS/2 out
there, with the same version numbers, but built by two
different contributors with different features?  I got mine
from www.mozilla.org/ports/os2.  Where can the other be found?

And because you called it an advantage, does that mean it's
not possible to manually configure helper applications in
the version of Thunderbird I have?  How are entries in the
Download Actions area supposed to get there in the first place?

Re: download actions

David Tholen
> Interesting difference seen here!

Difference between what, two builds of Thunderbird?

>> In the old Mozilla suite, I could manually add new entries to the
>> helper applications list, so that when somebody sent me a .pdf
>> file as an attachment, for example, I could have it launch
>> Acrobat reader when I double-clicked on the attachment.
>>
>> Now with Thunderbird, in Tools --> Options --> Attachments,
>> there is this Download Actions section with a "View & Edit
>> Actions..." button, but there is no obvious way to add new
>> entries to the list.  It only allows you to remove or change
>> an entry.  While I was using the older Thunderbird 1.0
>> release, one entry eventually appeared in the list automatically,
>> but I have since upgraded to Thunderbird 1.5, and the list is
>> empty.
>>
>> What do I have to do to get it to launch Acrobat reader when
>> I double click on a .pdf file?  The only choice Thunderbird
>> is currently giving me is to save the file to disk.  I don't
>> even have the option to open it, and browse for an application
>> to do so.

> In Peter's Seamonkey installer first much appreciated contribution, the
> Browser configuration pane still has an answer.  Up on the top bar,
> click 'Edit'.  Then click on 'Preferences'.  Click on 'Helper
> Applications'.  At this point you can still add, edit and delete the
> portfolio of helper applications that the browser here still follows for
> the file names you wish to target.  You create a NEW helper application
> from the master pane to do this.  Here is an example.

Are you saying that the only way to have the functionality is to
use Seamonkey?  I'm still puzzled as to how entries are supposed
to get into the Download Actions area of Thunderbird in the first
place.

Re: download actions

Steve Wendt
David Tholen wrote:

> Are you saying that there are two Thunderbirds for OS/2

There's the official build, and there is PmW-Tb, which contains some
additional enhancements (which may or may not be officially included in
some future version).

> Where can the other be found?

http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html

> And because you called it an advantage, does that mean it's
> not possible to manually configure helper applications in
> the version of Thunderbird I have?

Firefox and Thunderbird have been simplified (I call it dumbed down),
and that was one of the things removed.  Apparently, you can only
configure these things when you click on a file of that type.

Re: download actions

David Tholen
>> And because you called it an advantage, does that mean it's
>> not possible to manually configure helper applications in
>> the version of Thunderbird I have?

> Firefox and Thunderbird have been simplified (I call it dumbed down),
> and that was one of the things removed.  Apparently, you can only
> configure these things when you click on a file of that type.

The original question was how to get an entry into the Download
Actions list in the first place, and your response to my other
question about installing the XPI version of ipluginw.dll gave
me the idea to simply drop a PDF file on Firefox.  Sure enough,
the dialog on what to do with it popped up, and after I selected
Acroread as the application to use, I checked the Download Actions
list, and it was there.

So, your response in the other thread was doubly useful.  Thanks!

I just hope that I don't have to do this every time I replace
Firefox with a newer version.  That's one reason I don't upgrade
software very often.

Re: download actions

Steve Wendt
David Tholen wrote:

> I just hope that I don't have to do this every time I replace
> Firefox with a newer version.

That data is stored in your profile, so as long as your profile is
intact, it should continue to work.  ;)

Re: download actions

David Tholen
What's interesting is that it worked with a PDF file, but it
didn't work with an MP3 file.  That only allowed the option
to save the file, rather than to open it.  Bummer.

Re: download actions

David Tholen
>> What's interesting is that it worked with a PDF file, but it
>> didn't work with an MP3 file.  That only allowed the option
>> to save the file, rather than to open it.  Bummer.

> An MP3 from your disk?

Yes.

> If from remote the server might be sending a wrong MIME type.

Not applicable.  I discovered that I could get the PDF file
type into the Download Actions list by dropping it on Firefox
and then selecting the option to open it from the dialog that
popped up.  When I tried dropping an MP3 file on Firefox, it
only gave me the option to save to disk, not to open it.

Re: download actions

Ilya Zakharevich
David Tholen
<[hidden email]>], who wrote in article <[hidden email]>:

> >> What's interesting is that it worked with a PDF file, but it
> >> didn't work with an MP3 file.  That only allowed the option
> >> to save the file, rather than to open it.  Bummer.
>
> > An MP3 from your disk?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If from remote the server might be sending a wrong MIME type.
>
> Not applicable.  I discovered that I could get the PDF file
> type into the Download Actions list by dropping it on Firefox
> and then selecting the option to open it from the dialog that
> popped up.  When I tried dropping an MP3 file on Firefox, it
> only gave me the option to save to disk, not to open it.

My guess would be an absent mime-type.

Hope this helps,
Ilya