disable incremental GC

Ankur rungta
Hi,

I am currently integrating js1.8.5 with my framework.
In my environment the current thread which does most of the processing calls JS_GC also.
Can someone suggest how to disable incremental GC in js1.8.5 as when the GC is triggered
it is taking lot of time to return from the function.

Regards,
Ankur.

Re: disable incremental GC

Terrence Cole-3
On 08/24/2012 01:48 AM, Ankur rungta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently integrating js1.8.5 with my framework.
> In my environment the current thread which does most of the processing calls JS_GC also.
> Can someone suggest how to disable incremental GC in js1.8.5 as when the GC is triggered
> it is taking lot of time to return from the function.

SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 does not have incremental GC.

> Regards,
> Ankur.

Re: disable incremental GC

Wes Garland
On 24 August 2012 13:02, Terrence Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/24/2012 01:48 AM, Ankur rungta wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am currently integrating js1.8.5 with my framework.
> > In my environment the current thread which does most of the processing
> calls JS_GC also.
> > Can someone suggest how to disable incremental GC in js1.8.5 as when the
> GC is triggered
> > it is taking lot of time to return from the function.
>
> SpiderMonkey 1.8.5 does not have incremental GC.

An educated guess tells me that maybe calling GC regularly from another
thread might benefit Ankur, if all he does is wait for the engine to call
the GC when it finds it needs to allocate another big slap of heap.

(many small GCs are often better than one very long one)

Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development

RE: disable incremental GC

Ankur rungta
Dear Wes,

I am planning to call JS_MaybeGC in place of JS_GC so that I can run GC per compartment.
The number of bytes that I am setting while calling JS_Runtime is around 200MB

Because of that the amount of bytes after which JS_MaybeGC per compartment is called is very high.
Like if the runtime is created with 200MB

Then after about 70MB GC would be run for that compartment.
But as I have 6000 compartments so for each compartment to reach 70 MB will take lot of time and it may bring the system out of memory.

Is there any way through which we can set per compartment how can we set the maxgc after which GC is run for that compartment.
Otherwise I dont find any way currently to use GC per compartment.

Please can you help me to understand how to call GC per compartment when the number of compartment are huge like 6000 in which JS memory are almost equally distributed.

Regards,
Ankur.