debugging FF3.1: optimize?

John J Barton
I've looked in to bug 338224 and as far as I can tell you can't get
debug symbols without one of "debug" or "optimize". (MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS
has no effect unless one or the other is set). For Firebug work debug is
a non-starter, the startup time is way to long. So I guess I have to use
optimize.  So: is there any optimize settings that are roughly
equivalent to "just kidding I don't want any optimization"?

Thanks,
jjb

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

Frank Wein
John J Barton wrote:
> I've looked in to bug 338224 and as far as I can tell you can't get
> debug symbols without one of "debug" or "optimize". (MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS
> has no effect unless one or the other is set). For Firebug work debug is
> a non-starter, the startup time is way to long. So I guess I have to use
> optimize. So: is there any optimize settings that are roughly equivalent
> to "just kidding I don't want any optimization"?
>
> Thanks,
> jjb

Do you actually want ac_add_options --enable-debugger-info-modules ?
This enables symbols for the build.

Frank

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

John J Barton
Frank Wein wrote:

> John J Barton wrote:
>> I've looked in to bug 338224 and as far as I can tell you can't get
>> debug symbols without one of "debug" or "optimize". (MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS
>> has no effect unless one or the other is set). For Firebug work debug is
>> a non-starter, the startup time is way to long. So I guess I have to use
>> optimize. So: is there any optimize settings that are roughly equivalent
>> to "just kidding I don't want any optimization"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> jjb
>
> Do you actually want ac_add_options --enable-debugger-info-modules ?
> This enables symbols for the build.
>
> Frank

Yes, indeed. However this option has no effect unless you pick either
"debug" or "optimize".  Apparently --enable-debugger-info-modules is
closely related to MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS; I set them both on.

jjb

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

Frank Wein
John J. Barton wrote:

> Frank Wein wrote:
>> John J Barton wrote:
>>> I've looked in to bug 338224 and as far as I can tell you can't get
>>> debug symbols without one of "debug" or "optimize". (MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS
>>> has no effect unless one or the other is set). For Firebug work debug is
>>> a non-starter, the startup time is way to long. So I guess I have to use
>>> optimize. So: is there any optimize settings that are roughly equivalent
>>> to "just kidding I don't want any optimization"?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> jjb
>>
>> Do you actually want ac_add_options --enable-debugger-info-modules ?
>> This enables symbols for the build.
>>
>> Frank
>
> Yes, indeed. However this option has no effect unless you pick either
> "debug" or "optimize". Apparently --enable-debugger-info-modules is
> closely related to MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS; I set them both on.
>
> jjb

Well, the default on Firefox trunk with no options set is a normal
optimized build (-O2). So I cannot tell what's wrong with your build.
Maybe note that enable-debugger-info-modules does not enable symbols for
NSS/NSPR, for that you need to set MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS as far as I know.

Frank

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

Nick Thomas-3
If you're using windows, then you can configure Visual Studio to
retrieve symbols for nightly builds from the symbol server. See
   http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_the_Mozilla_symbol_server
for more info.

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

John J Barton
Nick Thomas wrote:
> If you're using windows, then you can configure Visual Studio to
> retrieve symbols for nightly builds from the symbol server. See
>   http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Using_the_Mozilla_symbol_server
> for more info.

Yes, thanks, I use that quite successfully with windbg (well if any
session with windbg can be considered a success).

But now I want to change the code and, perhaps a debugger will be handy.

John

Re: debugging FF3.1: optimize?

John J Barton
John J Barton wrote:
> I've looked in to bug 338224 and as far as I can tell you can't get
> debug symbols without one of "debug" or "optimize". (MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS
> has no effect unless one or the other is set). For Firebug work debug is
> a non-starter, the startup time is way to long. So I guess I have to use
> optimize.  So: is there any optimize settings that are roughly
> equivalent to "just kidding I don't want any optimization"?
>
> Thanks,
> jjb

I eventually got a build that starts fast but debugs well. I believe
that the secret is that
export MOZ_DEBUG_SYMBOLS=1
needs to be early in the .mozconfig file. See bug 338224 for details.

jjb