debug XUL in a Thunderbird 3 extension with venkman

debug XUL in a Thunderbird 3 extension with venkman

mgleich-2
Hello,

I have now read a lot of pages and searched a long time. I have found
"Debugging a XULRunner Application" under "https://
developer.mozilla.org/en/Debugging_a_XULRunner_Application" but was
not able to get the venkman window with start_venkman().

I can start the venkman addin over Menu/Extras/JavaScript Debugger but
it don't display any thing of my extension.

I have inserted <script src="chrome://venkman/content/venkman-
overlay.js" /> inside the window tag of the the main xul file of my
extension. Additionally I have a new button inserted with:

<hbox class="box-padded">
    <button class="wizard-button" dlgtype="extra1" id="venkman"
label="venkman" oncommand="alert('hallo'); start_venkman();"/>
    <spacer flex="3"/>
    <button class="wizard-button" dlgtype="back" id="back"
label="&back.label;" disabled="true" oncommand="back();"/>
    <button class="wizard-button" dlgtype="next" id="forward"
label="&forward.label;" nextval="&forward.label;"
finishedval="&finish.label;" oncommand="next();"/>
    <separator orient="vertical"/>
    <button class="wizard-button" dlgtype="cancel" id="cancel"
label="&cancel.label;" oncommand="close();"/>
</hbox>

If I start my extension and click on the new button 'venkman' the
alert box appear but venkman don't start after.

I have unziped venkman under C:\Program Files\Communication\Mozilla
\Thunderbird\distribution\bundles\venkman.

Re: debug XUL in a Thunderbird 3 extension with venkman

Colby Russell
On 02/18/2010 01:53 PM, mgleich wrote:
> I can start the venkman addin over Menu/Extras/JavaScript Debugger but
> it don't display any thing of my extension.

Do you have any windows of your extension open? If so, you should be
able to find your files in the "Open Windows" tab or the "Loaded
Scripts" tab of Venkman. Or, you can use "Open Web Location" from the
File menu and just type in a chrome URI instead of a URL.

> I have inserted<script src="chrome://venkman/content/venkman-
> overlay.js" />  inside the window tag of the the main xul file of my
> extension. Additionally I have a new button inserted with...

You don't need to do any of this if you're debugging in a host
application that Venkman supports, like Thunderbird. See above.

--
Colby Russell

On 4 Mrz., 09:05, Colby Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/18/2010 01:53 PM, mgleich wrote:
>
> > I can start the venkman addin over Menu/Extras/JavaScript Debugger but
> > it don't display any thing of my extension.
>
> Do you have any windows of your extension open? If so, you should be
> able to find your files in the "Open Windows" tab or the "Loaded
> Scripts" tab of Venkman. Or, you can use "Open Web Location" from the
> File menu and just type in a chrome URI instead of a URL.
>
> > I have inserted<script src="chrome://venkman/content/venkman-
> > overlay.js" />  inside the window tag of the the main xul file of my
> > extension. Additionally I have a new button inserted with...
>
> You don't need to do any of this if you're debugging in a host
> application that Venkman supports, like Thunderbird. See above.
>
> --
> Colby Russell

Many thanks. I must shut off "Exclude browser files" then it was okay.