css diferences between FF and IE

CNBarnes
Please forgive me if this is not the correct group to ask this question.
If there is another place I should ask, please direct me there.

Let me start of by saying that I'm very new to using css.  So what I am
doing may be a stupid-user/newbie mistake.

On a website I'm am developing (http://bvchea.tamu.edu - a temporary
site), I have the page looking just the way I want it on Firefox (my
browser of choice).  But when I look at the page in IE, the line spacing
is dramatically different - iow, the space between the lines is taking
up ALOT more room.

So what am I doing wrong?

... style.css clipping ...
#sidebar {
        margin-top:     7px;
        width:          145px;
        height:         auto;
        float:          left;
        text-align:     left;
        font-family:    Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size:      .75em;
        line-height:    1.44em;
        padding:        0px;
        overflow:       hidden;
        text-decoration: none;
        background-color: #FFFFFF;
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
... style.css clipping ...

... index.html clipping ...
<hr width="90%" size="2" align="left">

<hr width="90%" size="2" align="left">

... index.html clipping ...

--?

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
[hidden email]                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Re: css diferences between FF and IE

RJack-10
Chris Barnes wrote:

> Please forgive me if this is not the correct group to ask this question.
> If there is another place I should ask, please direct me there.
>
> Let me start of by saying that I'm very new to using css.  So what I am
> doing may be a stupid-user/newbie mistake.
>
> On a website I'm am developing (http://bvchea.tamu.edu - a temporary
> site), I have the page looking just the way I want it on Firefox (my
> browser of choice).  But when I look at the page in IE, the line spacing
> is dramatically different - iow, the space between the lines is taking
> up ALOT more room.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?

Maybe you should have a server side script that checks what browser is trying
to access the site and then serve one that is right for it.

 //Aho

Re: css diferences between FF and IE

Robert Blair-2
"J.O. Aho" wrote:

> Chris Barnes wrote:
> > Please forgive me if this is not the correct group to ask this question.
> > If there is another place I should ask, please direct me there.
> >
> > Let me start of by saying that I'm very new to using css.  So what I am
> > doing may be a stupid-user/newbie mistake.
> >
> > On a website I'm am developing (http://bvchea.tamu.edu - a temporary
> > site), I have the page looking just the way I want it on Firefox (my
> > browser of choice).  But when I look at the page in IE, the line spacing
> > is dramatically different - iow, the space between the lines is taking
> > up ALOT more room.
> >
> > So what am I doing wrong?
>
> Maybe you should have a server side script that checks what browser is trying
> to access the site and then serve one that is right for it.

No, the page should instead be compliant with the W3C
specifications.  The cited page has an HTML 4.01 error and three
CSS errors.  Once those are fixed, any further problems likely
belong to the browser and not to the page.

--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards.  See <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/>.

Re: css diferences between FF and IE

Ed Mullen
Chris Barnes wrote:

> Please forgive me if this is not the correct group to ask this question.
> If there is another place I should ask, please direct me there.
>
> Let me start of by saying that I'm very new to using css.  So what I am
> doing may be a stupid-user/newbie mistake.
>
> On a website I'm am developing (http://bvchea.tamu.edu - a temporary
> site), I have the page looking just the way I want it on Firefox (my
> browser of choice).  But when I look at the page in IE, the line spacing
> is dramatically different - iow, the space between the lines is taking
> up ALOT more room.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?
>
> ... style.css clipping ...
> #sidebar {
>         margin-top:     7px;
>         width:          145px;
>         height:         auto;
>         float:          left;
>         text-align:     left;
>         font-family:    Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>         font-size:      .75em;
>         line-height:    1.44em;
>         padding:        0px;
>         overflow:       hidden;
>         text-decoration: none;
>         background-color: #FFFFFF;
>         background-repeat: no-repeat;
> }
> ... style.css clipping ...
>

> ... index.html clipping ...
> <hr width="90%" size="2" align="left">

> <hr width="90%" size="2" align="left">

> ... index.html clipping ...
>
> --�

> Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
> [hidden email]                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Looks identical in IE and Moz here.  Did you fix the page?

Also, please fix your non-standard signature delimiter -
http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html - thanks!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net