computer history for you older gals and guys

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

Robert Blair-2
On 12/14/2007 8:38 AM, squaredancer wrote:
> I previously wrote [in part]:
>>  See my <http://www.rossde.com/retired.html>.
>>

> busted link to:  http://archive.cpsr.net/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ssn.faq.html
> on your page:  http://www.rossde.com/unemployed/unempl_recruitmistakes.html
>
> at "Give us your Social Security Number"

Thanks.  The material was still available but at a changed domain.  I
fixed it.

I generally check all links (to both external pages and my other
internal pages) when updating a page.  I found another external link
that wasn't 404 but no longer relevant.  Fortunately the relavent
information was still available at a related page.

Since the visible content did not change, I did not change the "Updated"
date.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

Gus Richter
Gus Richter wrote:

> We bought for the kids a "Pong" game in a box with two knobs which we
> connected to our TV (although us parents played it a lot as well) and
> then a "Coco" which started it all for me way back when.

Prior to that I was in the Graphic Arts Industry with computerized
phototypesetting manufacturers. In other words with dedicated computers
for a dedicated phototypetypesetting task. Phototypesetters (ranging
from 50 to 1000 newspaper lines per minute speed, either with a fixed
image, CRT or laser image raster projected onto photosensitive paper)
and keyboard stations generating the instructions for the task, via
punched ticker tape (6 level and 8 level), cassette, floppy disk (8" at
that time) or hard disk (awesomely , at that time, massive 50MB with
hospital filters) and numerous other peripherals to produce, at the high
end, a fully paginated full-size newspaper page. Fun times. Fond
memories. *sigh*

--
Gus

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

John McWilliams via TB
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 12/13/2007 5:03 PM, Terry R. wrote [in part]:

> A computer is obsolete when it can no longer perform the tasks for which
> it was obtained.

By that definition, no computer becomes obsolete! Of course, that means
forgoing software changes. I do understand what you mean, I believe.

--
John McWilliams

Netscape Champion

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

squaredancer
On 14.12.2007 20:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  David E. Ross
to generate the following:? :

> On 12/14/2007 8:38 AM, squaredancer wrote:
>
>> I previously wrote [in part]:
>>
>>>  See my <http://www.rossde.com/retired.html>.
>>>

>> busted link to:  http://archive.cpsr.net/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ssn.faq.html
>> on your page:  http://www.rossde.com/unemployed/unempl_recruitmistakes.html
>>
>> at "Give us your Social Security Number"
>>

> Thanks.  The material was still available but at a changed domain.  I
> fixed it.
>
> I generally check all links (to both external pages and my other
> internal pages) when updating a page.  I found another external link
> that wasn't 404 but no longer relevant.  Fortunately the relavent
> information was still available at a related page.
>
> Since the visible content did not change, I did not change the "Updated"
> date.

I saw that one as well and was going to post it, but thought you would
do a run-through when you fixed the other one!

reg

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> On 12/13/2007 4:06 PM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
> the keyboard
>
>> In other words about 9 month after I bought my PB 17" they came out
>> with the MacBook 17" (Intel machine).
>
> Did that make your PB obsolete? No.
>

>> and about 9 months after I bought my SE/30 Brand new from apple
>> (through an Apple dealer They came out with the 6100/7100/8100 series.
>> Then when I bought the 7100/6 in nine months They came out with first
>> the G3 then the g4 series.  By the time I get around to getting the
>> latest tower with the latest version of the xenon processor something
>> will come out 10 times stronger.
>>
>> You just can win. One thing though Windows PC's have it worse there
>> machines become obsolete about three months after hitting the market.
>
> Phillip, once again you down talk PC's without any facts.  Why would a
> PC become obsolete after 3 months?  I've been using this workstation for
> over 3 years. It's an AMD 2800+ and it runs everything fine.  FAR from
> obsolete.  I know a few people still running 266 MHz machines still on
> Win98. It does what they need done and they're happy.
>

>> At least with a Mac you can average about 7 years service out of them.
>>

> Right. Try running Leopard on a 7 year old Mac and let me know how that
> works for you.  I have one client with about 6 Mac's and the oldest ones
> are about 3 years and they run so slow even on (Jaguar?) it's not worth it.

Well look up when the G4-500 came out. I won't run Leopard. But does
fine with OSX.4.11 on a Firewire external drive. G$-500 should be
closing in on 6 or 7 years old and it will probably be Sept 2008 before
the next generation of the xenon chip will be out which will probably be
when I order one.

Re: computer history for you older gals and guys

JT SoCal
John McWilliams wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 12/13/2007 5:03 PM, Terry R. wrote [in part]:
>
>> A computer is obsolete when it can no longer perform the tasks for which
>> it was obtained.
>
> By that definition, no computer becomes obsolete! Of course, that means
> forgoing software changes. I do understand what you mean, I believe.

It would seem the ops passion is to upgrade and that would be his
choice.  As for old, obsolete, software that is for the user to
determine.  My machines date back before Apple, Radio Shake, Commadore,
etc. entered the business.  The old CPM days, then RS Mdl 1, III,
III/IV, 4P, etc.  The III/IV's I ran until the late 80's and they, and
the software, did what I wanted at the time.  The Internet & the need
for an outside job changed that.  Still, today, I do not run the, latest
and greatest, newer systems since I do not do graphics, games, etc.  My
oldest current machine, just taken off line recently, was an old P66
which did just fine with the software run on it.  The machine I use most
is also old by todays comments since it is an AMD 1.8g box but it also
does what I need.  When I move, and/or retire, I will be putting the old
III/IV & Mdl I back into service for recreation and make some hardware,
with the needed software, to let them talk with the other machines.  All
just for kicks to see if I can do it.  The point is that each of us have
our reasons for what we do.  Unless what we do harms others by way of
todays hacker definition or any other way where is the harm.  Life is to
short not to get some enjoyment out of it.

To each of you in this chain.  Just enjoy your systems and don't
complain about the way others enjoy theirs.  Enjoy 2008 because the next
decade is almost here along with even more changes in the technology we
all tend to use today.

Just my opinion and each of you have a right to yours.

James