coffee

1234567 ... 37

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 6:10 AM, Trane Francks wrote:

> On 11/21/13 5:20 PM +0900, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Maybe  it was an additive during WWII But H&C, Louisanne, & JFG are
>>> still sold in South in the USA and they still have Chicory as an
>>> ingredient. This is even after 60 years. Since I learned at an early age
>>> to drink Strong Coffee I was able to drink most even terrible Coffee be
>>> okay with it.
>>>
>> Very often things that seem like deprivations during a war become
>> 'comfort food' afterwards.  A couple of examples from each side of the
>> pond are 'bangers and mash', and Spam.  Spam in the most popular product
>> line of Hormel, especially in Hawaii, where they sell 1100 varieties!
>> Amazing!
>>
> Ron, I think you're going to have to come up with a link for 1100
> varieties. Hormel lists 21. I have a VERY hard time believing the
> veracity of your claim.

I did too, but apparently they are only sold in Hawaii, and I am not in
Hawaii to check this.  It seemed a bit extreme, but it is a popular item
there, so who knows.  I only eat one variety.  My wife tried out the
lite, and turkey varieties, and didn't like them.  The difference, for
what I read, is just the mix of spices in the meat.

Re: coffee

Bob Henson-4

On 21/11/2013 4:42 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 5:27 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

>>> Bob,
>>> I have eaten Spam for as long as I can recall, because it used to be
>>> cheap, and we were poor.  It is 'comfort food' for me, and I eat it
>>> several times a week, in moderation.  I have a couple of good recipes I
>>> like, using it, and my wife also enjoys it.  I consider a few cans of
>>> Spam 'standard' items for my pantry.  Never been to a cardiologist, but
>>> my doctor never seems to have any comment when he checks my heart, or
>>> lungs, or carotid artery, so I guess I am ok for being 71 next month.
>>>

>> I clock up 70 next month - so you're winning :-) You're also a better
>> bet than me, I had a heart attack last year - hence the ban on too many
>> fatty foods. Since "She Who Must Be Obeyed" still works, I'm chef these
>> days - so I have no excuses whatsoever if the diet is bad!
>>
> I guess the bangers are off the menu too.

Very limited, certainly, but I do indulge occasionally. Pity, because
sausages are a favourite of mine. So are Melton Mowbray Pork Pies and
Stilton Cheese - also very rationed these days.

http://www.porkpie.co.uk/

Anyway - I'm off to cook minted lamb patties now - they aren't too bad,
and as 'Er Indoors loves them they'll be good for a few Brownie Points!

> Getting old isn't for the
> squeamish, is it?

I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone except the alternative is worse
:-)

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Monday is a terrible way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 7:30 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2013 06:01, Trane Francks wrote:

Not much coffee, and lots of milk.  That's how you teach 6 year olds to
become coffee addicts.  Never liked milk, so putting it in coffee wasn't
going to get me to drink either one.  I think coffee tastes terrible.
Funny how different people like different things.  Anything bitter just
isn't something I want in my mouth.

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 7:32 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2013 06:10, Trane Francks wrote:

I am sure there are more ways than that to cook it.  The article did say
that all but 20 or so were strictly for the Hawaiian market.

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 10:55 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> On 21/11/2013 4:42 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> I clock up 70 next month - so you're winning :-) You're also a better
>>> bet than me, I had a heart attack last year - hence the ban on too many
>>> fatty foods. Since "She Who Must Be Obeyed" still works, I'm chef these
>>> days - so I have no excuses whatsoever if the diet is bad!
>>>
>> I guess the bangers are off the menu too.
>
> Very limited, certainly, but I do indulge occasionally. Pity, because
> sausages are a favourite of mine. So are Melton Mowbray Pork Pies and
> Stilton Cheese - also very rationed these days.
>
> http://www.porkpie.co.uk/
>
> Anyway - I'm off to cook minted lamb patties now - they aren't too bad,
> and as 'Er Indoors loves them they'll be good for a few Brownie Points!
>
>> Getting old isn't for the
>> squeamish, is it?
>>

> I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone except the alternative is worse
> :-)

I guess.  Not too many people manage to come back and talk about it, and
the few who do, usually have interesting tales.

Re: coffee

PhillipJones-2
Trane Francks wrote:

> On 11/20/13 3:26 AM +0900, Bob Henson wrote:

>>> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.
>>>

>> This one has a Gaggia espresso machine, and avoids instant coffee
>> whenever possible.
>>
> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just crap.

I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: coffee

WaltS48
On 11/21/2013 01:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> This one has a Gaggia espresso machine, and avoids instant coffee
>>> whenever possible.
>>>
>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just
>> crap.
>>
> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.

I have and it is not the same as brewed.

Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.

Anyone still use a percolater?

Re: coffee

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 11/21/2013
10:22 AM:

> On 11/21/2013 01:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just
>>> crap.
>>>
>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>
> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>
> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>
> Anyone still use a percolater?

Only when camping and I don't do that anymore.

--
Sailfish

Re: coffee

Bob Henson-4

On 21/11/2013 6:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> This one has a Gaggia espresso machine, and avoids instant coffee
>>> whenever possible.
>>>
>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just crap.
>>
> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.

Well done, that man. In the UK until recent years you couldn't get much
but instant - but as we were largely tea drinkers it didn't matter so
much. In recent years since we've started to travel the world we've
learnt to be more fussy.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Results are what you expect, and consequences are what you get.

Re: coffee

Bob Henson-4

On 21/11/2013 6:22 PM, WaltS wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 01:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just
>>> crap.
>>>
>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>

> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>
> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>
> Anyone still use a percolater?

Many (Most?) Italian families still use a percolator - the standard
little flat-sided stove top model they've used for years. My
daughter-in-law acquired the habit in Rome and still uses one all the time.

http://bit.ly/17v1KWw

It's nearly as good as espresso - and it isn't so fussy about the exact
particle grind size. The Italians usually use the standard arabica
beans, occasionally beefed up with a percentage of robusta. One of my
favourites, Gaggia Intenso, is typical of the blend.

I don't think many people use percolators in the UK now - but the new
electric sachet/pod type coffee brewers are getting very popular here.
They're nowhere near as good as a real espresso machine, but make quite
acceptable coffee. If we need a larger quantity (dinner party, say) we
use a big insulated cafetière - again handy because you don't need any
particular particle grind size.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like
a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
- Winston Churchill
JAS

Re: coffee

JAS
WaltS wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 01:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just
>>> crap.
>>>
>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>

> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>
> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>
> Anyone still use a percolater?
We still use our Corning Ware electric percolator.

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

JAS

Re: coffee

JAS
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2013 08:13, James Silverton wrote:

My Grandfather owned a Hamburger joint and bar in the 30's, my Mother
worked in the hamburger part [.05 cent hamburgers] and my Grandfather
would use as little coffee as possible and add chicory to make it dark
so he mad a little extra--I think she said beer draws were a nickle also.

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: coffee

Jay Garcia
On 21.11.2013 10:58, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 7:30 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 21.11.2013 06:01, Trane Francks wrote:

Coffee EXTRACT, Ron ... EXTRACT .. which is very much concentrated and
why you only use an oz or 1-1/2 oz per cup. It's not the quantities but
rather the ingrdient strength. Any one that has visited New Orleans and
been to Morning Call or Cafe Dumond knows what I'm talking about.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: coffee

PhillipJones-2
WaltS wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 01:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just
>>> crap.
>>>
>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>

> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>
> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>
> Anyone still use a percolater?

  Yes My Mother and Dad had one by GE.

A neighbor lady that was in her 80's at the time in her house she still
used a Wood Cook stove and she had the old timey Cowboy type Coffee Pot
where you threw the water and the Coffee Grounds  in it, and you boiled
it. Her favorite Coffee was H &C that had Chicory it. She kept in on the
hot stove all day.  By the end of the day the coffee was thick as paint.
Okay I have a Stumper for you . My parents had a Coffee Maker  the the
three pieces when Put together looked like an Hour glass The center
piece made out of Black Bakelite was where the coffee grounds went. the
two round bowls one you put water in, the second was empty set on top.
When the water was heated to a Rolling boil, you flipped the contraption
over and the hot water is now on top, and runs through coffee grounds.
The hot coffee then empties into the bottom bowl which you have on the
table or counter. After all the water runs through you remove everything
except to bowl that has the coffee.

On 22/11/2013 3:22 AM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:

>>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>>

>> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>>
>> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>>
>> Anyone still use a percolater?
>
>   Yes My Mother and Dad had one by GE.
>
> A neighbor lady that was in her 80's at the time in her house she still
> used a Wood Cook stove and she had the old timey Cowboy type Coffee Pot
> where you threw the water and the Coffee Grounds  in it, and you boiled
> it. Her favorite Coffee was H &C that had Chicory it. She kept in on the
> hot stove all day.  By the end of the day the coffee was thick as paint.
> Okay I have a Stumper for you . My parents had a Coffee Maker  the the
> three pieces when Put together looked like an Hour glass The center
> piece made out of Black Bakelite was where the coffee grounds went. the
> two round bowls one you put water in, the second was empty set on top.
> When the water was heated to a Rolling boil, you flipped the contraption
> over and the hot water is now on top, and runs through coffee grounds.
> The hot coffee then empties into the bottom bowl which you have on the
> table or counter. After all the water runs through you remove everything
> except to bowl that has the coffee.

That's a Cona coffee machine.

http://www.cona.co.uk/

Still made too.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 1:48 PM, JAS wrote:

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 21.11.2013 08:13, James Silverton wrote:

I recall when the whole town was up in arms because the local drive-in
raised the price of a hamburger to $.35 from $.30.  Grin.
Of course the minimum wage was $.50 an hour at the time!

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 8:58 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.11.2013 10:58, Ron Hunter wrote:

Not if, like me, they don't drink coffee.

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/21/2013 9:22 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> WaltS wrote:

>>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>>

>> I have and it is not the same as brewed.
>>
>> Anyone remember percolated coffee? What mom and dad used to drink.
>>
>> Anyone still use a percolater?
>
>   Yes My Mother and Dad had one by GE.
>
> A neighbor lady that was in her 80's at the time in her house she still
> used a Wood Cook stove and she had the old timey Cowboy type Coffee Pot
> where you threw the water and the Coffee Grounds  in it, and you boiled
> it. Her favorite Coffee was H &C that had Chicory it. She kept in on the
> hot stove all day.  By the end of the day the coffee was thick as paint.
> Okay I have a Stumper for you . My parents had a Coffee Maker  the the
> three pieces when Put together looked like an Hour glass The center
> piece made out of Black Bakelite was where the coffee grounds went. the
> two round bowls one you put water in, the second was empty set on top.
> When the water was heated to a Rolling boil, you flipped the contraption
> over and the hot water is now on top, and runs through coffee grounds.
> The hot coffee then empties into the bottom bowl which you have on the
> table or counter. After all the water runs through you remove everything
> except to bowl that has the coffee.

Pretty much how the old percolator coffee brewing system worked, but
without needing to invert anything.

Re: coffee

Daniel-257
Bob Henson wrote:

> On 21/11/2013 6:17 PM, PhillipJones wrote:
>> Trane Francks wrote:

>>> It's ALWAYS possible to avoid instant coffee. I'd rather go without. I
>>> haven't had a cup of instant in probably 30 or more years. It's just crap.
>>>
>> I'm 64 can't say I have ever used Instant Coffee.
>>
> Well done, that man. In the UK until recent years you couldn't get much
> but instant - but as we were largely tea drinkers it didn't matter so
> much. In recent years since we've started to travel the world we've
> learnt to be more fussy.

... or your standards dropped!! (ducks and runs away!!)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/25.0 SeaMonkey/2.22 Build identifier: 20131023190953
or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/25.0 SeaMonkey/2.22 Build identifier: 20131023190942

Re: coffee

Daniel-257
Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 10:55 AM, Bob Henson wrote:
>>

>> On 21/11/2013 4:42 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

<Snip>

>>> Getting old isn't for the
>>> squeamish, is it?
>>>

>> I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone except the alternative is worse
>> :-)
>>
> I guess.  Not too many people manage to come back and talk about it, and
> the few who do, usually have interesting tales.

Seen engraved into the woodwork of an old suburban train window-frame...

Death, the ultimate trip! That's why they save it for last.