coffee

1234 ... 37

coffee

Ron Hunter
I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
British, so here is something interesting.

UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom here).

Re: coffee

rebro
Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
> British, so here is something interesting.
>
> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom here).

... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
real coffee. :-)

Re: coffee

Martin Edwards-3
On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:

> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>
>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>> here).
>
> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
> real coffee. :-)

Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: coffee

WaltS48
On 11/19/2013 11:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:
>> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

Opinion or you have facts to back up that claim?

I use a coffee maker every morning.

Re: coffee

rebro
Am 19.11.2013 17:16, schrieb Martin Edwards:

> On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:
>> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

Let me take up the cudgels for the avant-garde! :-)

Re: coffee

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 11/19/2013
8:39 AM:

> On 11/19/2013 11:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

>>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>>> real coffee. :-)
>>
>> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.
>
> Opinion or you have facts to back up that claim?
>
> I use a coffee maker every morning.

Agreed.

--
Sailfish

Re: coffee

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Martin Edwards wrote:

> rebro wrote:
>> schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>
> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

Maybe in your house. *Never* in my house! My wife and I brew one or two
full pots of real ground coffee every day... year round.  (U.S.)

I also hope you're not including Keurig-style coffee as "instant", as it
isn't.

--
   -bts

Re: coffee

Bob Henson-4

On 19/11/2013 4:16 PM, Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:
>> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

This one has a Gaggia espresso machine, and avoids instant coffee
whenever possible.

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you
stop laughing!!!
JAS

Re: coffee

JAS
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on
> 11/19/2013 8:39 AM:

>>> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.
>>
>> Opinion or you have facts to back up that claim?
>>
>> I use a coffee maker every morning.
>
> Agreed.

Agreed

--
   You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Re: coffee

Mike Easter-2
Martin Edwards wrote:
> rebro wrote:
>> Ron Hunter:

>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

That seems doubtful to me.

I grind the beans before brewing (drip) but I buy my beans in a 3# bag
'off the shelf' as opposed to freshly roasted.

Here are some coffee stats but they don't address this instant issue --
I think I would rather 'eat' instant coffee flakes (freeze dried I would
hope) than drink coffee made that way.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/coffee-drinking-statistics/

A .uk site says "Instant coffee accounts for 13% of all coffee drunk."

http://www.realcoffee.co.uk/coffee-encyclopedia/trivia/consumption-facts/

--
Mike Easter

Re: coffee

PhillipJones-2
rebro wrote:

> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>
>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>> here).
>
> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
> real coffee. :-)

Talking about coffee, brings back fond memories my grandmother (granny
Harris).
To make a living because was a widow, she ran a boarding house. she
besides renting out rooms, she served 3 meal a day to th boarders, and
anyone else that wanted to take a meal.

She had this 50 cup Dripalator Coffeemaker that stood on a Claw-foot
stand. (If you've been in a restaurant or Hamburger joint that been
around for 100 years, you may have seen one.) Any way, She always poured
in a new Bag of either Standard Bran Louisanne,   H & C (Harold & Carol)
or JFG coffee. All used Chicory as an ingredient. That what I learned to
Drink as coffee and 12 years old. The only thing is that she let it
reheat and re perk. By the end of the day it could get up and walk
around by itself or use it for Paint remover.

That was some good times. Back then.
--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: coffee

PhillipJones-2
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 11/19/2013
> 8:39 AM:

>>> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.
>>
>> Opinion or you have facts to back up that claim?
>>
>> I use a coffee maker every morning.
>
> Agreed.

I used a Mr Coffee Maker until I quit Coffee. A few years ago when I
discovered I had Diabetes.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: coffee

James Silverton-3
On 11/19/2013 11:16 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:
>> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

Can you quote any reference for that statement about "most people"? I
have some instant in the freezer but I only drink it when real coffee is
not available.

--

James Silverton ( NOT not.jim.silverton)

Re: coffee

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on
11/19/2013 12:41 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 11/19/2013
>> 8:39 AM:

>>> Opinion or you have facts to back up that claim?
>>>
>>> I use a coffee maker every morning.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
> I used a Mr Coffee Maker until I quit Coffee. A few years ago when I
> discovered I had Diabetes.

I used to drink, truly, 3 pots of coffee a day. I'm down to one cup a
day, anymore.

--
Sailfish

Re: coffee

LnrB-3
Martin Edwards wrote:

> On 19/11/2013 16:13, rebro wrote:
> > Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
> >> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
> >> British, so here is something interesting.
> >>
> >> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
> >> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
> >> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
> >> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
> >> here).
> >
> > ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
> > real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

I'm closely acquainted with about 300 people, all of whom drink *Real*
coffee at home or otherwise.  The only time they drink instant is when
it's the only alternative.

If my small circle of close acquaintances has any indication, it can't
be said that "Most people drink instant coffee at home."
(';')

Re: coffee

Jay Garcia
On 19.11.2013 10:16, Martin Edwards wrote:

>> Am 19.11.2013 16:14, schrieb Ron Hunter:
>>> I made a reference to waking up to smell the coffee, in reference to
>>> British, so here is something interesting.
>>>
>>> UK market for coffee was valued at £1,064 million in 2011 and is
>>> forecast to grow by at least 10% in the next two years.
>>> According to the article, 57% of the coffee consumed in the UK is a
>>> breakfast drink (or instead of a proper breakfast, as is the custom
>>> here).
>>
>> ... and apart from being black and hot it meanwhile even tastes like
>> real coffee. :-)
>

> Most people who drink coffee at home drink instant, so not really.

Not here they don't!!

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: coffee

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
PhillipJones wrote:

> I used a Mr Coffee Maker until I quit Coffee. A few years ago when I
> discovered I had Diabetes.

Why would you stop drinking coffee due to diabetes?  I've been a Type 2
for a dozen years, and I still drink my pot or more a day. There's no carbs
in coffee.

Unless you added spoonsful of sugar to it...

--
   -bts
   -Hot, bitter, and black

Re: coffee

Ron Hunter
On 11/19/2013 5:03 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>
>> I used a Mr Coffee Maker until I quit Coffee. A few years ago when I
>> discovered I had Diabetes.
>
> Why would you stop drinking coffee due to diabetes?  I've been a Type 2
> for a dozen years, and I still drink my pot or more a day. There's no carbs
> in coffee.
>
> Unless you added spoonsful of sugar to it...

But plenty of caffeine which many people seem to think affects their BG.
  I suspect it might if you drink too much of it.

Re: coffee

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> PhillipJones wrote:
>>> I used a Mr Coffee Maker until I quit Coffee. A few years ago when I
>>> discovered I had Diabetes.
>>
>> Why would you stop drinking coffee due to diabetes?  I've been a Type 2
>> for a dozen years, and I still drink my pot or more a day. There's no
>> carbs in coffee.
>>
>> Unless you added spoonsful of sugar to it...
>
> But plenty of caffeine which many people seem to think affects their BG.
>   I suspect it might if you drink too much of it.

Never once heard that. I assume your "BG" is Blood Glucose? Anyway, as I
said, it (caffeine) doesn't affect my readings at all.

--
   -bts

Re: coffee

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
> > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> >>
> >> Why would you stop drinking coffee due to diabetes?  I've been a
> >> Type 2 for a dozen years, and I still drink my pot or more a day.
> >> There's no carbs in coffee.
> >>
> >> Unless you added spoonsful of sugar to it...
> >
> > But plenty of caffeine which many people seem to think affects
> > their BG. I suspect it might if you drink too much of it.
>
> Never once heard that. I assume your "BG" is Blood Glucose? Anyway,
> as I said, it (caffeine) doesn't affect my readings at all.

A bit of googling indicates that caffeine itself increases insulin
resistance, but other ingredients in coffee and tea reduce it.

1234 ... 37