catch-if syntax?

Dominic Cooney
I notice that the normative grammar* doesn't mention SeaMonkey's catch
(identifier if expr) syntax for filtering exceptions. Is that
deliberate?

Dominic

* http://www.ecmascript.org/es4/spec/grammar.pdf

Re: catch-if syntax?

Brendan Eich-2
On Sep 13, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Dominic Cooney wrote:

> I notice that the normative grammar* doesn't mention SeaMonkey's catch
> (identifier if expr) syntax for filtering exceptions. Is that
> deliberate?

Yes, that was a SpiderMonkey (not SeaMonkey, n.b.; it may also be
supported in Rhino) extension rejected during the ES3 era and not re-
submitted since.

ES4 does have type-annotated catch variables, which match based on
first "is" type relation, IIRC.

/be