building Mozilla revisited

Dave Yeo-3
After being out of the loop for a few months I've reconnected and am
trying to build trunk. Lots of problems with Cairo. Can someone refresh
my memory which files need to be updated and which archive to get them from?
Dave

Re: building Mozilla revisited

Peter Weilbacher
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:40:24 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

> After being out of the loop for a few months I've reconnected and am
> trying to build trunk. Lots of problems with Cairo. Can someone refresh
> my memory which files need to be updated and which archive to get them from?

I "ported" the gccsetup web page to
   http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/OS/2_Build_Prerequisites
recently. Among other things that I updated it added is the
"mozfntcfgft" package that is needed to compile in-tree cairo and SVG
support. It also contains the OS/2 cairo files, but as you already have
newer versions of those...
--
Please      Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in        (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:40:24 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> After being out of the loop for a few months I've reconnected and am
>> trying to build trunk. Lots of problems with Cairo. Can someone refresh
>> my memory which files need to be updated and which archive to get them from?
>
> I "ported" the gccsetup web page to
>    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/OS/2_Build_Prerequisites
> recently. Among other things that I updated it added is the
> "mozfntcfgft" package that is needed to compile in-tree cairo and SVG
> support. It also contains the OS/2 cairo files, but as you already have
> newer versions of those...

Hi Peter, looks like you've been busy :) Couple of comments about your
mozfntcfgft package.
It fails here
Adapt and install freetype-config script...
sed -e s,@__PWD__@,`pwd`,g                 \
            -e s,@__FTLIBNAME__@,mozft, \
            freetype-config.in > bin/freetype-config
cannot create bin/freetype-config: No such file or directory
make: *** [bin/freetype-config] Error 2

which is fixed by creating a bin directory. This is most likely a
failure of zip/unzip not creating an empty directory. Perhaps put a
dummy file into bin.
Also the readme says to copy cairo-features.h.in to the mozilla tree.
This doesn't seem to exist in cairo 1.2.2 (configure generates
cairo-features.h now so you might want to add cairo-features.h to your
package or use recomend using Doodles one. I'll try testing after the
cvs pull and build finishes (I hope :))

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:13:47 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Hi Peter, looks like you've been busy :) Couple of comments about your
> mozfntcfgft package.
> It fails here
> Adapt and install freetype-config script...
> sed -e s,@__PWD__@,`pwd`,g                 \
>    -e s,@__FTLIBNAME__@,mozft, \
>    freetype-config.in > bin/freetype-config
> cannot create bin/freetype-config: No such file or directory
> make: *** [bin/freetype-config] Error 2
>
> which is fixed by creating a bin directory. This is most likely a
> failure of zip/unzip not creating an empty directory. Perhaps put a
> dummy file into bin.

Good idea, thanks.

> Also the readme says to copy cairo-features.h.in to the mozilla tree.
> This doesn't seem to exist in cairo 1.2.2

No, but it does in the Mozilla tree and in the package. To that you
basically just have to add the
   @OS2_SURFACE_FEATURE@
line.
--
Please      Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in        (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)
newsgroup
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: building Mozilla revisited

Peter Weilbacher
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:13:47 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:

> which is fixed by creating a bin directory. This is most likely a
> failure of zip/unzip not creating an empty directory. Perhaps put a
> dummy file into bin.

OK, the new, fixed version (not using -D to zip) is now on Hobbes (still
in imcoming).
--
Please      Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in        (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)
newsgroup
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: building Mozilla revisited

Andy Willis-2
Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:13:47 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> which is fixed by creating a bin directory. This is most likely a
>> failure of zip/unzip not creating an empty directory. Perhaps put a
>> dummy file into bin.
>
> OK, the new, fixed version (not using -D to zip) is now on Hobbes (still
> in imcoming).

Could someone download this and check it?  I downloaded it a couple of
times and it is has been corrupt each time.
Andy

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:33:02 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:

> Could someone download this and check it?  I downloaded it a couple of
> times and it is has been corrupt each time.

I don't understand that. Whenever I upload something to Hobbes (I use
ncftp) I download it once to check that it was good (using SeaMonkey)
and it always is. Then users start telling me that the package is
corrupt and when I try again it really is. What is going on with that
stupid server!? Any idea where else I could upload this package?
--
Please      Unofficial builds: http://weilbacher.org/Mozilla/builds.html
reply in        (reload the _frame_ for the current version of the page)
newsgroup
    Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

Re: building Mozilla revisited

Walter Meinl

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:33:02 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:
>
> > Could someone download this and check it?  I downloaded it a couple of
> > times and it is has been corrupt each time.
>
> I don't understand that. Whenever I upload something to Hobbes (I use
> ncftp) I download it once to check that it was good (using SeaMonkey)
> and it always is. Then users start telling me that the package is
> corrupt and when I try again it really is. What is going on with that
> stupid server!? Any idea where else I could upload this package?
> --
Just checked it out, don't know if you uploaded it again but here it
works flawlessly, mzftcfgft built out-of-the-box, thanks. Just building
FF trunk with SVG support.

Walter Meinl wrote:

> Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:33:02 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone download this and check it?  I downloaded it a couple of
>>> times and it is has been corrupt each time.
>> I don't understand that. Whenever I upload something to Hobbes (I use
>> ncftp) I download it once to check that it was good (using SeaMonkey)
>> and it always is. Then users start telling me that the package is
>> corrupt and when I try again it really is. What is going on with that
>> stupid server!? Any idea where else I could upload this package?
>> --
> Just checked it out, don't know if you uploaded it again but here it
> works flawlessly, mzftcfgft built out-of-the-box, thanks. Just building
> FF trunk with SVG support.

Now that is funny!  Looking at the incoming I don't see evidence of it
being uploaded again but now it works fine.  I have never had problems
with hobbes so I don't know what might have been happening.
Which version of ncftp?
If you haven't already, you might check out Paul Smedley's latest
release and see if it is related to ncftp.  http://smedley.info/os2ports/
I used to use ncftp quite a bit but don't recall now why I stopped.
Andy

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:22:28 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:

> Now that is funny!  Looking at the incoming I don't see evidence of it
> being uploaded again but now it works fine.  I have never had problems
> with hobbes so I don't know what might have been happening.

No, I did upload again (note the date). With plain IBM OS/2 ftp. Somehow
it seems that this upload was more durable. Next time I will do a trace
together with the upload.

> Which version of ncftp?

The old "2.4.2.OS2.beta V" that works everywhere else and is nice and
colorful. I remember that I tried newer versions but I could never
configure them to get the same colored interface.

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:22:28 UTC, Andy Willis wrote:
>
>> Now that is funny!  Looking at the incoming I don't see evidence of it
>> being uploaded again but now it works fine.  I have never had problems
>> with hobbes so I don't know what might have been happening.
>
> No, I did upload again (note the date). With plain IBM OS/2 ftp. Somehow
> it seems that this upload was more durable. Next time I will do a trace
> together with the upload.
>
>> Which version of ncftp?
>
> The old "2.4.2.OS2.beta V" that works everywhere else and is nice and
> colorful. I remember that I tried newer versions but I could never
> configure them to get the same colored interface.

I've had good luck with an even older version (v2.3.0 release 1) with
never a failed upload to Hobbes. Sometimes when feeling lazy (or before
I figured out passive mode to get around a router) I just drag'n'dropped
the file into Netscape 4.61 and it also always uploaded fine.
Be nice if ftp uploading worked with Mozilla
Dave
ps the old upload is sitting in delayed after someone renamed it to end
in corrupt

Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:13:47 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter, looks like you've been busy :) Couple of comments about your
>> mozfntcfgft package.
>> It fails here
>> Adapt and install freetype-config script...
>> sed -e s,@__PWD__@,`pwd`,g                 \
>>    -e s,@__FTLIBNAME__@,mozft, \
>>    freetype-config.in > bin/freetype-config
>> cannot create bin/freetype-config: No such file or directory
>> make: *** [bin/freetype-config] Error 2
>>
>> which is fixed by creating a bin directory. This is most likely a
>> failure of zip/unzip not creating an empty directory. Perhaps put a
>> dummy file into bin.
>
> Good idea, thanks.
>
>> Also the readme says to copy cairo-features.h.in to the mozilla tree.
>> This doesn't seem to exist in cairo 1.2.2
>
> No, but it does in the Mozilla tree and in the package. To that you
> basically just have to add the
>    @OS2_SURFACE_FEATURE@
> line.

Well doing more testing with your latest mozfntcfgft package and editing
my setmozenv.cmd to add %MOZFTCFGFT%/lib to %LIBRARY_PATH% (as well as
updating %C_INCLUDE% etc) my build fails here
weakld: cannot open library file 'i:\os2tk45\ipfc\mozft_s.a'.
emxomfld: weak prelinker failed. (rc=8)

I don't have any shared or static stuff set in .mozconfig
Dave

Re: building Mozilla revisited

Henry Sobotka
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Well doing more testing with your latest mozfntcfgft package and editing
> my setmozenv.cmd to add %MOZFTCFGFT%/lib to %LIBRARY_PATH% (as well as
> updating %C_INCLUDE% etc) my build fails here
> weakld: cannot open library file 'i:\os2tk45\ipfc\mozft_s.a'.
> emxomfld: weak prelinker failed. (rc=8)

i:\os2tk45\ipfc would be the value of the IPFC envar set in config.sys
by toolkit installation. You might want to check setmozenv.cmd to see
why it's ending up in LIBRARY_PATH.

h~

Henry Sobotka wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>
>> Well doing more testing with your latest mozfntcfgft package and
>> editing my setmozenv.cmd to add %MOZFTCFGFT%/lib to %LIBRARY_PATH% (as
>> well as updating %C_INCLUDE% etc) my build fails here
>> weakld: cannot open library file 'i:\os2tk45\ipfc\mozft_s.a'.
>> emxomfld: weak prelinker failed. (rc=8)
>
> i:\os2tk45\ipfc would be the value of the IPFC envar set in config.sys
> by toolkit installation. You might want to check setmozenv.cmd to see
> why it's ending up in LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> h~

Turns out I made a stupid typo in setting $MOZFTCFGFT and for some weird
reason GCC ended looking there. The only places IPFC are mentioned that
I can find are in config.sys and in the toolkit directory.
Also interesting that it was looking for a static a.out library.
Dave