browser speeds

gwtc-4
and the winner is . . .: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

--
I bet you didn't know that only two people signed the American
Declaration of Independence on July 4th -- John Hancock and Charles
Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature
wasn't added until 5 years later. Perhaps he was a member of the
"Procrastinators Party!"

Re: browser speeds

Robert Blair-2
gwtc wrote:
> and the winner is . . .: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

In general, I have found the limiting factor in speed is the ability of
Web servers to deliver requested files.  In many cases, servers cannot
even deliver the 56 kbps that my dial-up modem can receive.  Also
affecting browser speeds are the firewalls and proxy servers that are
needed with "always on" connections.

Before I retired, I often noticed that downloads at work (T1 connection
through both a firewall and a proxy server) often took as long as at
home (dial-up).  While the firewall and proxy server contributed to some
throttling, the poor download speeds I saw were more likely affected by
the sending servers.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

Re: browser speeds

JoeS-3
gwtc wrote:
> and the winner is . . .: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Have you ever tried an build optimized for your CPU ?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=e5a129ae5dc6ee54819161bb228b9789
Also on the trunk builds a very large patch was just checked in that
fixes not speed so much, but the quality of DHTML rendering, which has
irked me for years.(NsiThreadmanager)
JoeS

Re: browser speeds

gwtc-4
JoeS wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>and the winner is . . .: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
>>

> Have you ever tried an build optimized for your CPU ?
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=e5a129ae5dc6ee54819161bb228b9789
> Also on the trunk builds a very large patch was just checked in that
> fixes not speed so much, but the quality of DHTML rendering, which has
> irked me for years.(NsiThreadmanager)
> JoeS
what????

--
I bet you didn't know that half of all North Americans live within 50
miles of their birthplace

Re: browser speeds

JoeS-3
gwtc wrote:

> JoeS wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:
>>
>>> and the winner is . . .: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
>>>

>> Have you ever tried an build optimized for your CPU ?
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=e5a129ae5dc6ee54819161bb228b9789
>>
>> Also on the trunk builds a very large patch was just checked in that
>> fixes not speed so much, but the quality of DHTML rendering, which has
>> irked me for years.(NsiThreadmanager)
>> JoeS
> what????

There are third party builders of Firefox and Thunderbird who compile
special builds that optimize performance. These run considerably faster
than 'stock' release builds.
Joe

Re: browser speeds

gwtc-4
JoeS wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>JoeS wrote:

>>>Have you ever tried an build optimized for your CPU ?
>>>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=e5a129ae5dc6ee54819161bb228b9789
>>>
>>>Also on the trunk builds a very large patch was just checked in that
>>>fixes not speed so much, but the quality of DHTML rendering, which has
>>>irked me for years.(NsiThreadmanager)
>>>JoeS
>>
>>what????
>>

> There are third party builders of Firefox and Thunderbird who compile
> special builds that optimize performance. These run considerably faster
> than 'stock' release builds.
> Joe
Oh!  OK!