bat files in XP

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my
bat files to work, and can't.

This is what I have so far:

@echo off
start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
-mail -P "Default User"
@exit

When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The
first one says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last
two says "windows cannot find 'C:\programs'.

If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3
command prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows
unable to find -mail'.

I've tried using:

start:

and that doesn't work.

So, can someone help me with this?

Thanks

Grant McP

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: bat files in XP

Philip Chee
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:29:40 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> So, can someone help me with this?

How about:

@echo off
"C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe"
"C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe"
"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail -P "Default
User"
@exit

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: bat files in XP

User-2
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files to
> work, and can't.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> @echo off
> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
> "Default User"
> @exit
>
> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one says
> "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows cannot
> find 'C:\programs'.
>
> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find -mail'.
>
> I've tried using:
>
> start:
>
> and that doesn't work.
>
> So, can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant McP

You need to put speech marks round any filename/path which includes
spaces, ie

@echo off
start "C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe"
start "C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe"
start "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail -P
"Default User"
@exit

Re: bat files in XP

Smiles-2
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files to
> work, and can't.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> @echo off
> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
> "Default User"
> @exit
>
> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one says
> "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows cannot
> find 'C:\programs'.
>
> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find -mail'.
>
> I've tried using:
>
> start:
>
> and that doesn't work.
>
> So, can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant McP

Peter just an insight into XP bat files are a dos program and you can
only pass a 8 dot three file address and you must live by dos rules.

the other two responses are correct
so 'Other Programs' and 'Program Files' are longer than 8 characters and
contain a space so to pass it to a bat file you must surround the
complete line with " quote marks

enjoy XP now Peter

thank you
Smiles

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/17/2008 6:25 AM, and on a whim, Smiles pounded
out on the keyboard:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files to
>> work, and can't.
>>
>> This is what I have so far:
>>
>> @echo off
>> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
>> "Default User"
>> @exit
>>
>> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one says
>> "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows cannot
>> find 'C:\programs'.
>>
>> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
>> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find -mail'.
>>
>> I've tried using:
>>
>> start:
>>
>> and that doesn't work.
>>
>> So, can someone help me with this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Grant McP
>>
> Peter just an insight into XP bat files are a dos program and you can
> only pass a 8 dot three file address and you must live by dos rules.

BAT files are called "Batch", meaning you can execute a group of
commands in a batch.  While NT based systems started to use the CMD
extension for the same thing, BAT is fully usable with all Windows
versions, as CMD is only compatible with NT/w2k/xp/...  They are not
"DOS programs" per se, but command execution programs.

You can use LFN's in XP using proper guidelines (encapsulating paths
with spaces with quotation marks as stated). There is no "DOS" in XP.
XP uses CMD.EXE for a "command prompt" which can do just about
everything DOS could do and more. Yes, there is a 16 bit "command.com"
for legacy apps that look for it, but CMD.EXE is 32 bit and should be
used.

--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/17/2008 1:29 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my
> bat files to work, and can't.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> @echo off
> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
> -mail -P "Default User"
> @exit
>
> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The
> first one says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last
> two says "windows cannot find 'C:\programs'.
>
> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3
> command prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows
> unable to find -mail'.
>
> I've tried using:
>
> start:
>
> and that doesn't work.
>
> So, can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant McP

Grant,

Instead of using the LFN path as above (that included spaces), you could
have substituted:
start c:\otherp~1\cookie~1\cookiem.exe
for
start "C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe"

Start is a command in itself, and then it executes the parameters, so
when you put start on 3 lines, it will open 3 windows, unless you use
the /B switch.  You may also have to use /wait, if one program requires
that another be loaded before proceeding.  At a command prompt, type
start /? and press Enter
to see more.

To see the 8.3 filenames, press the Windows key and R and type cmd and
press Enter.
Type dir /x
For a full list type dir /?

Here is a link for some tips:
http://malektips.com/windows_xp_and_dos_help_and_tips.html

One of my favorite utilities is "Command Prompt Here", one of the
Powertoys. You can get it and others here (cmdhere.exe):
It allows you to right click a folder in Explorer and select, "Open a
command prompt here".  Very nice.

Other favorites are TweakUI, Image Resizer.
--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

PhillipJones
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files to
> work, and can't.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> @echo off
> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
> "Default User"
> @exit
>
> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one says
> "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows cannot
> find 'C:\programs'.
>
> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find -mail'.
>
> I've tried using:
>
> start:
>
> and that doesn't work.
>
> So, can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant McP

Window old enough to use bat files you must use an underscore as:

 > @echo off
 > start C:\Other_Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
 > start C:\Program_Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
 > start C:\Program_Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
 > "Default User"
 > @exit

System old enough to use bat files doesn recognize a space which written
%20.

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:19 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files to
>> work, and can't.
>>
>> This is what I have so far:
>>
>> @echo off
>> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
>> "Default User"
>> @exit
>>
>> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one says
>> "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows cannot
>> find 'C:\programs'.
>>
>> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
>> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find -mail'.
>>
>> I've tried using:
>>
>> start:
>>
>> and that doesn't work.
>>
>> So, can someone help me with this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Grant McP
>>

> Window old enough to use bat files you must use an underscore as:

No Phillip, Windows NT/w2k/xp/etc will recognize the underscore as an
underscore.  That wouldn't work in DOS either as you have to use the 8.3
naming convention.

>  > @echo off
>  > start C:\Other_Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>  > start C:\Program_Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>  > start C:\Program_Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
>  > "Default User"
>  > @exit
>
> System old enough to use bat files doesn recognize a space which written
> %20.

Not true either.  In XP, opening a command prompt and typing
cd my%20documents

returns an error, but

cd "my documents"

changes the directory

--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my
> bat files to work, and can't.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> @echo off
> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
> -mail -P "Default User"
> @exit
>
> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The
> first one says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last
> two says "windows cannot find 'C:\programs'.
>
> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3
> command prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows
> unable to find -mail'.
>
> I've tried using:
>
> start:
>
> and that doesn't work.
>
> So, can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant McP

Thanks everyone for your help.  I've diddled with the
came up with that works:

@echo off
start c:\otherp~1\cookie~1\cookiem.exe
start c:\progra~1\spyblo~1\spyblocker.exe
start seamonkey.exe -mail -P "Default User"
@EXIT

I don't know what makes the SeaMonkey entry different [no
path], but it works anyways.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:58 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my
>> bat files to work, and can't.
>>
>> This is what I have so far:
>>
>> @echo off
>> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
>> -mail -P "Default User"
>> @exit
>>
>> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The
>> first one says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last
>> two says "windows cannot find 'C:\programs'.
>>
>> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3
>> command prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows
>> unable to find -mail'.
>>
>> I've tried using:
>>
>> start:
>>
>> and that doesn't work.
>>
>> So, can someone help me with this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Grant McP
>>

> Thanks everyone for your help.  I've diddled with the
> came up with that works:
>
> @echo off
> start c:\otherp~1\cookie~1\cookiem.exe
> start c:\progra~1\spyblo~1\spyblocker.exe
> start seamonkey.exe -mail -P "Default User"
> @EXIT
>
> I don't know what makes the SeaMonkey entry different [no
> path], but it works anyways.

If the path is added to the environment by the SM install, then you
wouldn't have to add it again.  That would allow you to launch SM at the
command prompt by just typing seamonkey.

Are you saying you couldn't get any of the lines to work using quotes?
Did you try the /B after start to make all of them execute in one window?

I guess the new suggestion is, just creating individual shortcuts and
placing them into the Startup folder.  I moved all my batch files when I
first went to w2k, but slowly started moving away from old methods of
doing things.

--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:58 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my
>>> bat files to work, and can't.
>>>
>>> This is what I have so far:
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>>> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>>> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
>>> -mail -P "Default User"
>>> @exit
>>>
>>> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The
>>> first one says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last
>>> two says "windows cannot find 'C:\programs'.
>>>
>>> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3
>>> command prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows
>>> unable to find -mail'.
>>>
>>> I've tried using:
>>>
>>> start:
>>>
>>> and that doesn't work.
>>>
>>> So, can someone help me with this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Grant McP
>>>

>> Thanks everyone for your help.  I've diddled with the
>> came up with that works:
>>
>> @echo off
>> start c:\otherp~1\cookie~1\cookiem.exe
>> start c:\progra~1\spyblo~1\spyblocker.exe
>> start seamonkey.exe -mail -P "Default User"
>> @EXIT
>>
>> I don't know what makes the SeaMonkey entry different [no
>> path], but it works anyways.
>>

> If the path is added to the environment by the SM install, then you
> wouldn't have to add it again.

its not there in the environment variable, and when I type
in path at the command prompt, its not there either

>  That would allow you to launch SM at the
> command prompt by just typing seamonkey.
>
> Are you saying you couldn't get any of the lines to work using quotes?

thats right.

> Did you try the /B after start to make all of them execute in one window?

no. I tried what I did above and only one window opened and
closed.

> I guess the new suggestion is, just creating individual shortcuts and
> placing them into the Startup folder.

I don't want these things to start when windows start.  I
have other things to do before I look at my mail.

>  I moved all my batch files when I
> first went to w2k, but slowly started moving away from old methods of
> doing things.

I like to do things that I'm used to.  I used win98 for a
little over 7 years.  When I got XP, the first thing I
noticed was I could switch back to windows classic.  That
gave me the look and feel of the old win98 UI.  There are a
few little differences, but I like what I have.

For example, in win98 I had an icon on my desktop that would
reboot the computer, instead of my clicking on Start, and
rebooting that way. I even had another one that would shut
the computer down.  Well, it took me a while, but I now have
the same things for XP.  I'm back to familiar ground :-)

Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:19 AM, and on a whim, Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> I've graduated to XP from win98, and I'm trying to get my bat files
>>> to work, and can't.
>>>
>>> This is what I have so far:
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> start C:\Other Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>>> start C:\Program Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>>> start C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
>>> "Default User"
>>> @exit
>>>
>>> When I run that, I get three command prompt windows.  The first one
>>> says "windows unable to find 'C:\other'.  The last two says "windows
>>> cannot find 'C:\programs'.
>>>
>>> If I put all the program and their path in quotes, I get 3 command
>>> prompt windows, and one message that says 'windows unable to find
>>> -mail'.
>>>
>>> I've tried using:
>>>
>>> start:
>>>
>>> and that doesn't work.
>>>
>>> So, can someone help me with this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Grant McP
>>>

>> Window old enough to use bat files you must use an underscore as:
>

> No Phillip, Windows NT/w2k/xp/etc will recognize the underscore as an
> underscore.  That wouldn't work in DOS either as you have to use the 8.3
> naming convention.
>

>>  > @echo off
>>  > start C:\Other_Programs\cookie manager\cookiem.exe
>>  > start C:\Program_Files\SpyBlocker Software\spyblocker.exe
>>  > start C:\Program_Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail -P
>>  > "Default User"
>>  > @exit
>>
>> System old enough to use bat files doesn recognize a space which
>> written %20.
>
> Not true either.  In XP, opening a command prompt and typing
> cd my%20documents
>
> returns an error, but
>
> cd "my documents"
>
> changes the directory

I've sent items to PC people and they couldn't open it unless the
underscore was in the name. So if the naming convention has changed in
PC's my apologies.

Re: bat files in XP

Alex K.-4
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:58 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
>> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Thanks everyone for your help.  I've diddled with the
>>> came up with that works:
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> start c:\otherp~1\cookie~1\cookiem.exe
>>> start c:\progra~1\spyblo~1\spyblocker.exe
>>> start seamonkey.exe -mail -P "Default User"
>>> @EXIT
>>>
>>> I don't know what makes the SeaMonkey entry different [no
>>> path], but it works anyways.
>>>
>> If the path is added to the environment by the SM install, then you
>> wouldn't have to add it again.
>
> its not there in the environment variable, and when I type
> in path at the command prompt, its not there either

If its like TB & FF, they add an entry into the registry, so that when
you enter firefox, firefox.exe, thunderbird, thunderbird.exe, or in your
case seamonkey or seamonkey.exe, the system already knows where to find
it, without making separate path entries.  For example, I have this
entry for FF:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\firefox.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" \"%1\""

That said, however, it does not apply in the context of a Command Prompt
window.  In that case, I get:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>firefox
'firefox' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

So, when you run a batch file, or use the Start -> Run box, the system
will look at the registry to see if it knows the location of the
executable.  But when you use a Command Prompt window, it apparently
does not, you must either have the path in your path variable, or
provide the full path on the command line.

Seems rather dumb to me, but, it is what it is.  At least, thats how its
working on this XP SP2 box.

--
Alex K.

Re: bat files in XP

Philip Chee
I keep reading the subject as "Bat flies in the belfry".

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org
[ ]A cats worst enemy is a closed door.
* TagZilla 0.066.6

Re: bat files in XP

Alex K. wrote:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was 1/17/2008 9:58 AM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
>>> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> If the path is added to the environment by the SM install, then you
>>> wouldn't have to add it again.
>> its not there in the environment variable, and when I type
>> in path at the command prompt, its not there either
>
> If its like TB & FF, they add an entry into the registry, so that when
> you enter firefox, firefox.exe, thunderbird, thunderbird.exe, or in your
> case seamonkey or seamonkey.exe, the system already knows where to find
> it, without making separate path entries.  For example, I have this
> entry for FF:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\firefox.exe\shell\open\command]
> @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" \"%1\""
>
> That said, however, it does not apply in the context of a Command Prompt
> window.  In that case, I get:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>firefox
> 'firefox' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> So, when you run a batch file, or use the Start -> Run box, the system
> will look at the registry to see if it knows the location of the
> executable.  But when you use a Command Prompt window, it apparently
> does not, you must either have the path in your path variable, or
> provide the full path on the command line.
>
> Seems rather dumb to me, but, it is what it is.  At least, thats how its
> working on this XP SP2 box.

OK, so, as I understand it, the first two programs aren't
listed in the registry, so thats why I have to have the full
path to them, while SM does and thats why I can get away
with just the word seamonkey.

I've looked all over the registry and I don't have a line
like you listed. Not for SM, FF, or even TB.  So I have no
idea where in the registry its coming from.  Oh well.
Everything is working now, and I've got my other bats
working, too.  Thanks.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/18/2008 2:56 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

> Alex K. wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> its not there in the environment variable, and when I type
>>> in path at the command prompt, its not there either
>> If its like TB & FF, they add an entry into the registry, so that when
>> you enter firefox, firefox.exe, thunderbird, thunderbird.exe, or in your
>> case seamonkey or seamonkey.exe, the system already knows where to find
>> it, without making separate path entries.  For example, I have this
>> entry for FF:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\firefox.exe\shell\open\command]
>> @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" \"%1\""
>>
>> That said, however, it does not apply in the context of a Command Prompt
>> window.  In that case, I get:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>firefox
>> 'firefox' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file.
>>
>> So, when you run a batch file, or use the Start -> Run box, the system
>> will look at the registry to see if it knows the location of the
>> executable.  But when you use a Command Prompt window, it apparently
>> does not, you must either have the path in your path variable, or
>> provide the full path on the command line.
>>
>> Seems rather dumb to me, but, it is what it is.  At least, thats how its
>> working on this XP SP2 box.
>>

> OK, so, as I understand it, the first two programs aren't
> listed in the registry, so thats why I have to have the full
> path to them, while SM does and thats why I can get away
> with just the word seamonkey.
>
> I've looked all over the registry and I don't have a line
> like you listed. Not for SM, FF, or even TB.  So I have no
> idea where in the registry its coming from.  Oh well.
> Everything is working now, and I've got my other bats
> working, too.  Thanks.

Alex is incorrect regarding running a batch file or the command prompt.
  A batch file will execute via the command prompt so both are exactly
the same. And the CLASSES section is not where the variables are located.

The reason you don't need to enter the path for SM because it has been
entered here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

and the reason you don't have to add the path and it executes at the
command prompt is because it is prefaced by "start" which will check the
App Paths in the registry. If you don't use "start", the App Paths are
not checked, only the Path is checked.

--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

Alex K.-4
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 1/18/2008 2:56 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Alex K. wrote:

>>> If its like TB & FF, they add an entry into the registry, so that when
>>> you enter firefox, firefox.exe, thunderbird, thunderbird.exe, or in your
>>> case seamonkey or seamonkey.exe, the system already knows where to find
>>> it, without making separate path entries.  For example, I have this
>>> entry for FF:
>>>
>>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\firefox.exe\shell\open\command]
>>> @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe\" \"%1\""
>>>
>>> That said, however, it does not apply in the context of a Command Prompt
>>> window.  In that case, I get:
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>firefox
>>> 'firefox' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>> operable program or batch file.
>>>
>>> So, when you run a batch file, or use the Start -> Run box, the system
>>> will look at the registry to see if it knows the location of the
>>> executable.  But when you use a Command Prompt window, it apparently
>>> does not, you must either have the path in your path variable, or
>>> provide the full path on the command line.
>>>
>>> Seems rather dumb to me, but, it is what it is.  At least, thats how its
>>> working on this XP SP2 box.
>>>
>> OK, so, as I understand it, the first two programs aren't
>> listed in the registry, so thats why I have to have the full
>> path to them, while SM does and thats why I can get away
>> with just the word seamonkey.
>>
>> I've looked all over the registry and I don't have a line
>> like you listed. Not for SM, FF, or even TB.  So I have no
>> idea where in the registry its coming from.  Oh well.
>> Everything is working now, and I've got my other bats
>> working, too.  Thanks.
>>

> Alex is incorrect regarding running a batch file or the command prompt.

Oops, Mea Culpa.

>   A batch file will execute via the command prompt so both are exactly
> the same. And the CLASSES section is not where the variables are located.

Sorry, saw "Applications" in the reg key, along with the path, and
*assumed* it was relevant.  Yeah, yeah, I know what they say, and I
guess just proved it, didn't I?  At least with regards to the "me" part.
 ;-)

> The reason you don't need to enter the path for SM because it has been
> entered here:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

Thanks for the correct location.  I knew it had to be somewhere, and
unfortunately, I jumped on the first one that seemed logical, to me, anyway.

> and the reason you don't have to add the path and it executes at the
> command prompt is because it is prefaced by "start" which will check the
> App Paths in the registry. If you don't use "start", the App Paths are
> not checked, only the Path is checked.

Ah, so *thats* the difference.

OK, I'm heading for the the corner now, with my pointy hat and writing pad.

<scribbling>
I will not make assumptions.
I will not make assumptions.
I will not make assumptions.
<pause>

Hey, how many times am I supposed to write this, anyway?

--
Alex K.

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/19/2008 3:06 AM, and on a whim, Alex K. pounded
out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 1/18/2008 2:56 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
>> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> OK, so, as I understand it, the first two programs aren't
>>> listed in the registry, so thats why I have to have the full
>>> path to them, while SM does and thats why I can get away
>>> with just the word seamonkey.
>>>
>>> I've looked all over the registry and I don't have a line
>>> like you listed. Not for SM, FF, or even TB.  So I have no
>>> idea where in the registry its coming from.  Oh well.
>>> Everything is working now, and I've got my other bats
>>> working, too.  Thanks.
>>>
>> Alex is incorrect regarding running a batch file or the command prompt.
>
> Oops, Mea Culpa.
>
>>   A batch file will execute via the command prompt so both are exactly
>> the same. And the CLASSES section is not where the variables are located.
>
> Sorry, saw "Applications" in the reg key, along with the path, and
> *assumed* it was relevant.  Yeah, yeah, I know what they say, and I
> guess just proved it, didn't I?  At least with regards to the "me" part.
>  ;-)
>
>> The reason you don't need to enter the path for SM because it has been
>> entered here:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
>
> Thanks for the correct location.  I knew it had to be somewhere, and
> unfortunately, I jumped on the first one that seemed logical, to me, anyway.
>
>> and the reason you don't have to add the path and it executes at the
>> command prompt is because it is prefaced by "start" which will check the
>> App Paths in the registry. If you don't use "start", the App Paths are
>> not checked, only the Path is checked.
>
> Ah, so *thats* the difference.
>
> OK, I'm heading for the the corner now, with my pointy hat and writing pad.
>
> <scribbling>
> I will not make assumptions.
> I will not make assumptions.
> I will not make assumptions.
> <pause>
>
> Hey, how many times am I supposed to write this, anyway?

You can stop now. ;-)  It's all about learning and hopefully this will
help others too.  It's not like we need info like this every day and
I've forgotten most of it.

--
Terry R.

Re: bat files in XP

squaredancer
On 19.01.2008 16:49, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
generate the following:? :

> The date and time was 1/19/2008 3:06 AM, and on a whim, Alex K. pounded
> out on the keyboard:
>

>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was 1/18/2008 2:56 PM, and on a whim, Peter Potamus
>>> the Purple Hippo pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Alex is incorrect regarding running a batch file or the command prompt.
>>>
>> Oops, Mea Culpa.
>>

>>>   A batch file will execute via the command prompt so both are exactly
>>> the same. And the CLASSES section is not where the variables are located.
>>>
>> Sorry, saw "Applications" in the reg key, along with the path, and
>> *assumed* it was relevant.  Yeah, yeah, I know what they say, and I
>> guess just proved it, didn't I?  At least with regards to the "me" part.
>>  ;-)
>>

>>> The reason you don't need to enter the path for SM because it has been
>>> entered here:
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
>>>
>> Thanks for the correct location.  I knew it had to be somewhere, and
>> unfortunately, I jumped on the first one that seemed logical, to me, anyway.
>>

>>> and the reason you don't have to add the path and it executes at the
>>> command prompt is because it is prefaced by "start" which will check the
>>> App Paths in the registry. If you don't use "start", the App Paths are
>>> not checked, only the Path is checked.
>>>
>> Ah, so *thats* the difference.
>>
>> OK, I'm heading for the the corner now, with my pointy hat and writing pad.
>>
>> <scribbling>
>> I will not make assumptions.
>> I will not make assumptions.
>> I will not make assumptions.
>> <pause>
>>
>> Hey, how many times am I supposed to write this, anyway?
>>

> You can stop now. ;-)  It's all about learning and hopefully this will
> help others too.  It's not like we need info like this every day and
> I've forgotten most of it.

ummmm - sorry, Terry..... what have you forgotten ??  :-[

reg (ducking and running fast)

Re: bat files in XP

Terry R.
The date and time was 1/19/2008 9:40 AM, and on a whim, squaredancer
pounded out on the keyboard:

"it" ;-)

--
Terry R.