banned from newsgroup

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
329 messages Options
1 ... 14151617
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

Gervase Markham
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Question: why is MTMM not in th mozilla support hierarchy?

Because it's not for support. It's for testing.

Support is when people inside the project help people outside the
project achieve things with the project's software.

Testing is when people (inside or outside the project, but generally
inside) see if something is working.

Gerv
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
In reply to this post by Gervase Markham
On 08.12.2007 12:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Gervase
Markham to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>  
>> but.... Peter/Grant IS NOT part of the project, or???  His "rants and
>> raves" are his own personal opinion - even if we do (or do not, as the
>> case may be) agree with him / them!
>>    
>
> Reg, you're right. That sentence I wrote was ambiguous. Let me write it
> again, better this time:
>
> "I will, on behalf of the project, email Mr Gusaas and apologise for
> your terrible behaviour towards him in our newsgroups."
>
> I hope that makes it clearer :-)
>
> Gerv
>  

reads better - but, as you may have seen, Mr. Gusass is still there, so
his annoyance at the posts couldn't have been more that a token one,
possibly a "short circuit" reaction!

news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
In reply to this post by Larry Gusaas-4
Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 12/7/07 4:15 PM, Gus Richter wrote:
>> Gervase Markham wrote:
>>> I will email Mr Gusaas and apologise for your terrible behaviour on
>>> behalf of the project.
>>>
>>> Gerv
>> Are you that naive?
>> Look at his name and my sig.
>> A friend of yours incognito?
>>
>  
> Are you making some derogatory remark about my name? If so, you can
> stuff it up yours.

now look who's calling the kettle black.  You say you
received terrible response from the groups, and yet you turn
around and do it yourself.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
In reply to this post by Gervase Markham
Gervase Markham wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> but.... Peter/Grant IS NOT part of the project, or???  His "rants and
>> raves" are his own personal opinion - even if we do (or do not, as the
>> case may be) agree with him / them!
>
> Reg, you're right. That sentence I wrote was ambiguous. Let me write it
> again, better this time:
>
> "I will, on behalf of the project, email Mr Gusaas and apologise for
> your terrible behaviour towards him in our newsgroups."

No, because you're still making it sound like MY terrible
behariour.  He never did tell us who's behaviour it was
within the TB support groups.  It could have been mine, but
it could have been others.

Try:

"I will, on behalf of the project, email Mr Gusaas and
apologise for the terrible behaviour you received within the
Mozilla support groups"

Now, while you're at it, why don't you email everyone else
that has received terrible behaviour, too, from the support
and general groups.  Such as reg, Phil, Garth, myself, and a
few others.  We have all been abused from certain posters.
And its also from the same little group, which I won't name
here.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

jetjock
In reply to this post by Gervase Markham
Gervase Markham wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> Question: why is MTMM not in th mozilla support hierarchy?
>
>
> Because it's not for support. It's for testing.
>
> Support is when people inside the project help people outside the
> project achieve things with the project's software.
>
> Testing is when people (inside or outside the project, but generally
> inside) see if something is working.
>
> Gerv

Gerv,

  I had planned not to get involved in this discussion since I mostly
just lurk here to see the great things that can be done with Mozilla
products.  But your second sentence above struck such a note with me
that I had to respond, even though my opinion may not be worth much to
the "insiders".

  In my humble opinion you have, in one sentence, summed up
_*perfectly*_ exactly what the MTMM group currently is.  The original
intent of the group /may/ have been totally different, but the good
people that are now posting there have taken it upon themselves to
explore the multitude of things that can be done with Mozilla products,
and have shared their expertise with others that wanted to learn.  If
this isn't support, I guess I missed something along the way.  Granted,
they are also /testing/ their work at the same time, but are the two
things _really_ mutually exclusive of each other?

  Maybe the new group should be called MGMM and placed under the support
hierarchy?  But, as I said, I know little of the inner workings of these
things.  Just the opinion of someone who appreciates the excellent work
done by the regulars.

--

     >>>>>>>>>>jetjock<<<<<<<<<<
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
jetjock wrote:
>   In my humble opinion you have, in one sentence, summed up
> _*perfectly*_ exactly what the MTMM group currently is.  The original
> intent of the group /may/ have been totally different, but the good
> people that are now posting there have taken it upon themselves to
> explore the multitude of things that can be done with Mozilla products,
> and have shared their expertise with others that wanted to learn.  If
> this isn't support, I guess I missed something along the way.  Granted,
> they are also /testing/ their work at the same time, but are the two
> things _really_ mutually exclusive of each other?

exactly, and thats why I asked questions about how to do
things, then I tested it out and tried other things.  People
who comment and made suggestion.  Things were fun, and I
learned a lot from those experts there.  I don't think I
would have gotten the same response from the moz.support.*
groups.  Others would do something, and I'd asked how do I
do it, and they explained it.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 08.12.2007 08:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
generate the following:? :

> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> On 12/7/2007 1:39 PM On a whim, »Q« pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>    
>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo  
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:  
>>>  
>>>      
>>>> lets see.  People have been posting links to songs way
>>>> longer than I have for the last month or two.  
>>>>        
>>> Why?  
>>>      
>> You don't visit MTMM. Why are you even involved in this discussion?
>>    
>
> I was interested in knowing why it is people want or need to post links
> to songs there, so I asked.  AFAICT, there's a feeling that stopping
> that would kill a community somehow, and I hoped to get some feedback
> about why it's needed or wanted by that community.
>  

please take a look at my post to gerv (if you haven't already seen it):

news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]

I have tried to put what we do in MTMM in clear words... but even so, as
you will see in the follow-up by Chris - not clear enough, it seems!

reg

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

»Q«
squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08.12.2007 08:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
> generate the following:? :
> > "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 12/7/2007 1:39 PM On a whim, »Q« pounded out on the keyboard
> >>    
> >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo  
> >>> <[hidden email]> wrote:  
> >>>      
> >>>> lets see.  People have been posting links to songs way
> >>>> longer than I have for the last month or two.  
> >>>        
> >>> Why?  
> >>      
> >> You don't visit MTMM. Why are you even involved in this discussion?
> >
> > I was interested in knowing why it is people want or need to post
> > links to songs there, so I asked.  AFAICT, there's a feeling that
> > stopping that would kill a community somehow, and I hoped to get
> > some feedback about why it's needed or wanted by that community.
>
> please take a look at my post to gerv (if you haven't already seen
> it):
>
> news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]
>
> I have tried to put what we do in MTMM in clear words... but even so,
> as you will see in the follow-up by Chris - not clear enough, it
> seems!

I've re-read it.  I think it's a good rundown of valuable contributions
there, but it doesn't address the importance of using the group to
share files which have nothing to do with
testing/experimenting/supporting multimedia stuff.  I do understand
that kind of posting has been going on a long time there and in the
netscape predecessor and that folks there feel the community needs it,
but I haven't been able to make out why.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 10.12.2007 01:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> On 08.12.2007 08:32, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  »Q« to
>> generate the following:? :
>>    
>>> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>      
>>>> On 12/7/2007 1:39 PM On a whim, »Q« pounded out on the keyboard
>>>>    
>>>>        
>>>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo  
>>>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:  
>>>>>      
>>>>>          
>>>>>> lets see.  People have been posting links to songs way
>>>>>> longer than I have for the last month or two.  
>>>>>>            
>>>>>        
>>>>> Why?  
>>>>>          
>>>>      
>>>> You don't visit MTMM. Why are you even involved in this discussion?
>>>>        
>>> I was interested in knowing why it is people want or need to post
>>> links to songs there, so I asked.  AFAICT, there's a feeling that
>>> stopping that would kill a community somehow, and I hoped to get
>>> some feedback about why it's needed or wanted by that community.
>>>      
>> please take a look at my post to gerv (if you haven't already seen
>> it):
>>
>> news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]
>>
>> I have tried to put what we do in MTMM in clear words... but even so,
>> as you will see in the follow-up by Chris - not clear enough, it
>> seems!
>>    
>
> I've re-read it.  I think it's a good rundown of valuable contributions
> there, but it doesn't address the importance of using the group to
> share files which have nothing to do with
> testing/experimenting/supporting multimedia stuff.  I do understand
> that kind of posting has been going on a long time there and in the
> netscape predecessor and that folks there feel the community needs it,
> but I haven't been able to make out why.
>  


I suppose you could say that those "posts" are *accepted OT* within -
and by - that specific group.  The "regulars" have *no problem* with
those posts - but then again, the traffic in MTMM is/was low, and as I
pointed out, generally of no or little interest to the greater Mozilla
community! (Which does NOT mean that the testresults will not be
benificial, in the long run, to Moz)

Glad to see that you may be tending to think that "we" were in fact
doing something that might be (have been) usefull/creative within the
Moz Project! Thanks for your looking at my post again!

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
1 ... 14151617