banned from newsgroup

12345 ... 17

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 05.12.2007 03:35, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  JoeS to
generate the following:? :

> Gus Richter wrote:
>
>> Gervase Markham wrote:

>>> I assume that Chris means that he will cancel all further posts from
>>> you, which is equivalent to a ban.

>>> If I understand correctly, Chris is the moderator for
>>> mozilla.test.multimedia , which means that he has the final say about
>>> what gets posted there, just like any other moderator of a
>>> group/mailing list. This is separate from his role as part of the team
>>> looking after the support newsgroups, to which this policy refers.
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html

>>> Get off your high horse. If you want to make a public complaint, you
>>> can have a public smackdown.
>>>
>>> The message you are pointing to with such indignation is clearly,
>>> indubitably, totally and completely off-topic for the group to which
>>> it is posted. As, in fact, are all the other messages in the thread.
>>> So I have no idea what makes you think you can point at it and shout
>>> "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" As the moderator, Chris has every
>>> right to keep off-topic traffic out of the group. That's what
>>> moderators do.
>>>
>>> The Mozilla newsgroups are not anyone's personal playground or
>>> chatroom. Their primary use is for getting project-related work done.
>>> This particular group is for binary test posts, not for conversation
>>> of any kind. After the point was firmly made that there needed to be
>>> non-work groups available, mozilla.general was set aside for this. In
>>> all groups other than mozilla.general, off-topic chatter is
>>> discouraged. It may be discouraged using either social or technical
>>> pressure.
>>>
>>> (Of course, a person's standing in and usefulness to the project has a
>>> strong impact on how much leeway they get. That's right and proper.
>>> Mozilla is a meritocracy.)
>>>
>>> Gerv
>>>
>> *PLONK*
>>

> Well, so much for "building a community of multimedia testers"
> JoeS

and so much for you being asked to do the moderation of the group - a
task for which Ili-ass is not predestined, due to his absolute lack of
multimedia understanding!

reg

Re: banned from newsgroup

Billy Holmes
Quoting squaredancer <[hidden email]>:

> and so much for you being asked to do the moderation of the group - a
> task for which Ili-ass is not predestined, due to his absolute lack of
> multimedia understanding!

actually, I see no difference is posting a binary music file, or
directing you to a site via a link that shares music - it's still
music sharing, no?

Besides, the message was off-topic the moment it was sent - no binary
attachments.

Re: banned from newsgroup

Jay Garcia

Re: banned from newsgroup

Terry R.
On 12/5/2007 6:00 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

> On 05.12.2007 05:49, Gervase Markham wrote:

So, most of us considered it a "test", which is what Chris & Gerv said
it wasn't.

And did Chris follow what we were told about OT material?  It seems the
timeline was so short between "DON'T" and "BANNED" (44 minutes), there
could have hardly been a notification and reply via email warning of the
consequences of continued wrong behavior.

--
Terry R.

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 05.12.2007 15:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Billy Holmes
to generate the following:? :

> Quoting squaredancer <[hidden email]>:
>

>> and so much for you being asked to do the moderation of the group - a
>> task for which Ili-ass is not predestined, due to his absolute lack of
>> multimedia understanding!
>>

> actually, I see no difference is posting a binary music file, or
> directing you to a site via a link that shares music - it's still
> music sharing, no?
>
> Besides, the message was off-topic the moment it was sent - no binary
> attachments.

you don't understan nowt, do you??

1) gerv's post, as to what a "binary test post" is: (quote)
The group description, as you point out, is "For binary
test messages". Your message was not a binary message (it had no
attachment), so was offtopic already.

NOTE:  Your message was not a binary message (it had no
attachment)

2) Chris Ili-ass BANNED Peter for *posting a binary* - a post that (see
gerv) DIDN'T HAVE AN ATTACHMENT... oh dear! we are getting contradictive
here...

3) gerve "understands" that Ili-ass is MTMM moderator ?? sorry folks,
but he asked JoeS to take over that position - one decision that Ili-ass
made well, JoeS being capable of actually KNOWING what multi-media under
Gecko means!

3) again, gerv's posts: (quote)
The Mozilla newsgroups are not anyone's personal playground or chatroom.
  NOW - NOTE THIS  ONE!!
Their primary use is for *getting project-related work* done.

AND THIS ONE
Peter, *what is your business in mozilla.test.multimedia anyway* ?  If you
are testing the Mozilla family of newsgroup clients, where are the bugs
you've filed?

AND THIS ONE TOPS ALL OTHERS:
The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
Mozilla project.

so, dear friend and helper---
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ??  or do you actually WORK on the
Mozilla project?

Please note carefully, before you reply - the quoted comments are from
and by gerv.... in this thread.

reg

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 05.12.2007 16:34, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
generate the following:? :

> On 12/5/2007 6:00 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard
>

>> On 05.12.2007 05:49, Gervase Markham wrote:

more crucial is the discrepance between gerv and Ili-ass.... WHAT is a
binary??

gerv says it is a post WITH an attachment (which Peter's post lacked)
Chris banned Peter for posting a binary WITHOUT an attachment...

hmmmm! question "What is a binary post" !??

reg

Re: banned from newsgroup

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> On 12/4/2007 9:19 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
> the keyboard
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 04.12.2007 07:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter
>>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> let's all take Jay's offer and go back to secnews, where we all came
>>> from!
>>> We can leave Chris Illi-ass believing that he is, indeed, not an
>>> idiot!  He will be monopolically alone in that belief, but may rally
>>> some moose-type cronies to soothe his overinflated ego!
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> Wish I could but the latest versions of SeaMonkey, or Thunderbird
>> don't allow it. (Mac version). I've even tried to set SSL methods in
>> about Config and still won't allow it.
>>

> Phillip,
>
> Are you sure you tried this:
> In Advanced, Config Editor, enter md5 and in the resulting lines there
> are two 40 bit entries, dbl-click both to change from false to "true".
>
> I recently installed Netscape Messenger and that is all I had to do,
> other than check SSL & set it for port 563.

  I do have port set for 563

Re: banned from newsgroup

PhillipJones
Billy Holmes wrote:

> JoeS wrote:
>> Well, so much for "building a community of multimedia testers"
>>

> I swear, after being in the gentoo lists for so long and seeing how
> people treat each other, it amazes me how juvenile some people take
> criticism here. It's like a toddler that throws a tantrum when the
> parent tells them not to touch the cookie jar.
>
> You can't run around posting random crap in test.multimedia. It has a
> specific use, someone was reminded about it, they wanted to argue about
> it. They got plonked.

Look the original post was a Test post for Reg to see if he could hear.
The music was obviously copyrighted music, "linked from a Licensed site
allowed to play copyrighted music" Yet the person that banned the poster
accused him of posting copyrighted music directly. (not directly but it
was obvious what was meant.)

Anyway this is what the problem is about. While Peter is offbeat and an
little off-base occasionally, he is a reasonably good guy most of the
time. It was clear and obvious from all the users of the Multimedia test
group that Pete (or Grant) was obviously conducting a Test.

The Powers that be at Mozilla have never liked nor desired to have such
a Groups. Because the all detest HTML Mail. And they are trying
everything in their power to cause everybody to leave so they can shut
it down as a failed experiment.

Re: banned from newsgroup

Terry R.
On 12/5/2007 8:06 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 12/4/2007 9:19 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
>> the keyboard

>>> Wish I could but the latest versions of SeaMonkey, or Thunderbird
>>> don't allow it. (Mac version). I've even tried to set SSL methods in
>>> about Config and still won't allow it.
>>>
>> Phillip,
>>
>> Are you sure you tried this:
>> In Advanced, Config Editor, enter md5 and in the resulting lines there
>> are two 40 bit entries, dbl-click both to change from false to "true".
>>
>> I recently installed Netscape Messenger and that is all I had to do,
>> other than check SSL & set it for port 563.
>>
>   I do have port set for 563

Do you have SSL checked?  You have to complete ALL the suggestions.

--
Terry R.

Re: banned from newsgroup

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
Gervase Markham wrote:

> Peter, what is your business in mozilla.test.multimedia anyway? If you
> are testing the Mozilla family of newsgroup clients, where are the bugs
> you've filed? I've searched bugzilla.mozilla.org and can't find any,
> although I'm happy to be corrected as I may have used the wrong Bugzilla
> ID. Or is our binary posting support perfect?

I think you're a little off base here, Gerv.  The *TMM groups were
primarily used for the implementation of code that was probably never
going to be included in the core Moz products, that is, embedding
multimedia in mail and news.

Rinaldi
--
Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

Re: banned from newsgroup

Gervase Markham wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> <a very long message>.
>
> If you want me to listen to your point of view, you are going to have to
> put it more succinctly than that.

I was. I'm sorry that I'm not up to your standards.  But
then I guess everything in that posting went way over your head.

>> You're getting to be as horrible as Chris is now.  Is this the way
>> you treat people?  Is this the way you treat people within this
>> community?  It sure it.
>
> I treat people in the way they ask to be treated. You made a public fuss
> about this, and so I provided a straightforward and honest public
> response. If you'd emailed me privately, I would have responded
> privately. The choice was yours.
>
> I don't think my words were rude. They may not be what you want to hear,
> but they weren't rude.

I never said you were.  I was meaning that your explanations
are getting to be a horrible Chris

>> Come post within the Mozilla Newsgroups, and
>> this is the way you'll be treated.
>
> Peter, what is your business in mozilla.test.multimedia anyway? If you
> are testing the Mozilla family of newsgroup clients, where are the bugs
> you've filed? I've searched bugzilla.mozilla.org and can't find any,
> although I'm happy to be corrected as I may have used the wrong Bugzilla
> ID. Or is our binary posting support perfect?

are you just making all this up as you go along?  You must
be.  Where does it say that? I must have missed a page.

to test posting and reading binaries with Mozilla-based
clients."  Nope, can't be there

Lets see, how about this:
list and newsgroup is a place to test posting and reading
binaries with Mozilla-based clients."  Nope, can't be there
either.

Maybe its here:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#testing
"For binary test messages."  Nope, it's not there either.

Maybe here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/#newsgroups.
Nope, no mention of it there either.

About the Etiquette page:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html.  Nope, I'm
sorry, I can't find it there either.

So, you tell me.  Where does it say that the only ones who
can post there must be filing bug reports?  I guess that the
vast majority of people who post in that group, shouldn't be
there, because they're not contributing to filing bug
reports.  Furthermore, there are also a lot of Off-Topic
Trffice there, aswell.  So, why am I the only one singled
out and banned.  Maybe there should be others there too.

You're just making this up as you go along, aren't you?

> The group description, as you point out, is "For binary
> test messages". Your message was not a binary message (it had no
> attachment), so was offtopic already.

boy, sure lot of contradiction going on.  You say one thing,
Chris says something else, the info about the groups says
something entirely different.

>> Your response is just as I expected -- powers to be
>> supporting other powers to be.
>
> I think Chris, as moderator of the group, is entirely within his
> project-given authority to do what he did. I think that the messages
> concerned were undoubtedly off-topic. On a human level, I can see how
> your continued pushing of the boundaries in this area may have irritated
> him.
>
> The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
> Mozilla project. Genuine question (not rhetorical): what have you done
> for the project lately?

where does it say that?

I swear, you must be making all this up as you go along,
aren't you?  You're just making my laugh at each response
you give.  You know absolutely nothing, do you?

By your definition, then why are there support groups? The
support groups doesn't "contain people working on the
Mozilla project."  All it contains are other users helping
other users how to work a program.

You know absolutely nothing do you?  I think if you had your
own way, there wouldn't be support groups for end users.

According to your statement "what have you done for the
project lately?" I guess that me providing support in the
support groups doesn't count because I'm still not "working
on the Mozilla project."  Maybe you should ban all those
helpful volunteer supporters who are providing peer support,
but they're not filing but reports, or working on the
Mozilla project.

Why don't you get your facts straight about me first before
you post garbage.

> This is not to say that only people who are working on the project are
> welcome,

no, but you're making it out to be that way.  The only ones
posting here are "people working on the Mozilla project."

>  but it seems to me that those who are active contributors in
> the community get to make the rules.

So, I guess that because I provide help assistance in the
support groups, I can't contribute to making the rules,
because I'm not someone "working on the Mozilla project."
Thats another Powers to be supporting other powers to be
typical dumb-ass response.  You really don't care about the
users.  Why don't you just get rid of the support groups all
together.

What a cop out response you have given.  Chris has dug
himself and Mozilla into a pit, you know it, I know it, and
so does everyone else, and now you're trying to dig him out,
and to save his butt.  You're trying very hard to make him
and you come out smelling like a rose, but you're not doing
such a great job at it, are you?

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer wrote:

> AND THIS ONE TOPS ALL OTHERS:
> The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
> Mozilla project.
>
> so, dear friend and helper---
> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ??  or do you actually WORK on the
> Mozilla project?
>
> Please note carefully, before you reply - the quoted comments are from
> and by gerv.... in this thread.

so, by what he said, I'm not the only one that should be
banned.  All those other helps should get the axe too.

Like I said, he must be making all this up as he goes along.
  He knows crap all. They've dug themselves into a big hole,
and now they're back-tracking, trying ever so very hard to
get out.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 05.12.2007 19:06, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> AND THIS ONE TOPS ALL OTHERS:
>> The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
>> Mozilla project.
>>
>> so, dear friend and helper---
>> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ??  or do you actually WORK on the
>> Mozilla project?
>>
>> Please note carefully, before you reply - the quoted comments are from
>> and by gerv.... in this thread.
>>

> so, by what he said, I'm not the only one that should be
> banned.  All those other helps should get the axe too.
>
> Like I said, he must be making all this up as he goes along.
>   He knows crap all. They've dug themselves into a big hole,
> and now they're back-tracking, trying ever so very hard to
> get out.

yepp - so be it!

And by the way, Peter! Your "claim to fame" as the first poster to be
actually BANNED belongs to me... I was banned from MTMM auto posting
years ago for posting - wait for it - a binary attachment!  (and what's
more, I actually attached it *lol* )

JoeS put me back on the list, as my posts were all moderated by Ili-ass,
several of them going missing in the process. But - seeing as gerv
reckons that *ONLY* moz workers belong on the Groups, they will soon be
dead!

Hmmmm - I wonder if Ili-ass is a Moz employee??

reg

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer wrote:

> And by the way, Peter! Your "claim to fame" as the first poster to be
> actually BANNED belongs to me... I was banned from MTMM auto posting
> years ago for posting - wait for it - a binary attachment!  (and what's
> more, I actually attached it *lol* )

but, was it in a manner accessible to or observable by the
public?  Openly mentioned like mine was?

squaredancer wrote:

> 3) again, gerv's posts: (quote)
> The Mozilla newsgroups are not anyone's personal playground or chatroom.
>   NOW - NOTE THIS  ONE!!
> Their primary use is for *getting project-related work* done.
>
> AND THIS ONE
> Peter, *what is your business in mozilla.test.multimedia anyway* ?  If you
> are testing the Mozilla family of newsgroup clients, where are the bugs
> you've filed?
>
> AND THIS ONE TOPS ALL OTHERS:
> The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
> Mozilla project.
>
> so, dear friend and helper---
> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ??  or do you actually WORK on the
> Mozilla project?
>
> Please note carefully, before you reply - the quoted comments are from
> and by gerv.... in this thread.

maybe you'll like my new sig line

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: banned from newsgroup

squaredancer
On 05.12.2007 19:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>

>> And by the way, Peter! Your "claim to fame" as the first poster to be
>> actually BANNED belongs to me... I was banned from MTMM auto posting
>> years ago for posting - wait for it - a binary attachment!  (and what's
>> more, I actually attached it *lol* )
>>

> but, was it in a manner accessible to or observable by the
> public?  Openly mentioned like mine was?

hmmmm - tricky question - I'll have to ask chris....
to be honest, I can't remember the exact method, but I did have an eMail
from "that person" saved for quite a while, which I pushed to the groups
now and again... so it may well have been a "private" thing!

reg

Re: banned from newsgroup

Daniel-24
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> 3) again, gerv's posts: (quote)
>> The Mozilla newsgroups are not anyone's personal playground or chatroom.
>>   NOW - NOTE THIS  ONE!!
>> Their primary use is for *getting project-related work* done.
>>
>> AND THIS ONE
>> Peter, *what is your business in mozilla.test.multimedia anyway* ?  If
>> you
>> are testing the Mozilla family of newsgroup clients, where are the bugs
>> you've filed?
>>
>> AND THIS ONE TOPS ALL OTHERS:
>> The Mozilla newsgroups are for the community of people working on the
>> Mozilla project.
>>
>> so, dear friend and helper---
>> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ??  or do you actually WORK on the
>> Mozilla project?
>>
>> Please note carefully, before you reply - the quoted comments are from
>> and by gerv.... in this thread.
>
> maybe you'll like my new sig line

Oh, come on now, Peter, surely you are aware that sig files should only
be four to six lines long!! Nine line...what a scandle!!

(at least that used to be the limit...haven't seen it mentioned for a
while.)

Daniel

Re: banned from newsgroup

Christopher Jahn
squaredancer <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> On 05.12.2007 16:34, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
> Terry R. to generate the following:? :
>> On 12/5/2007 6:00 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the
>> keyboard
>>

>>> On 05.12.2007 05:49, Gervase Markham wrote:

My understanding it that the multimedia group is to test the HTML
composition and rendering abilities of Mozilla products, and beyond
ANY dispute, that is EXACTLY what Peter was doing.

Ilias was WAY off base - AGAIN.  And Gerv is jumping in to support
him without bothering to grasp the facts.

VERY disappointing behavior from Mozilla.org et al.

And a note for Ilias and Gerv; I am one who finds Peter to be a
pompous jackass, and here I am defending him.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

IF YOU SUPPORTED BUSH, A YELLOW RIBBON WON'T MAKE UP  FOR IT

Re: banned from newsgroup

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> The group description, as you point out, is "For binary
>> test messages". Your message was not a binary message (it had no
>> attachment), so was offtopic already.
>
> boy, sure lot of contradiction going on.  You say one thing,
> Chris says something else, the info about the groups says
> something entirely different.

Oh, I did find this:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html "Do not send
binary attachments"

Daniel wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> maybe you'll like my new sig line
> Oh, come on now, Peter, surely you are aware that sig files should only
> be four to six lines long!! Nine line...what a scandle!!
>
> (at least that used to be the limit...haven't seen it mentioned for a
> while.)
>
> Daniel

Oh, come on now, Daniel, surely you are aware of what my
next response will be: where does it say that on the
etiquette page?:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html.  Maybe we
need some guidelines on that, too.