application/pkcs7-mime not supported?

Jens Ansorg-2
hi,

I got an email containing an attachment that was digitally encrypted by
the sender (using a smart card device and some software on windows pc)

When I received the mail in Thunderbird I got asked for the security
device password and provided that. The certificate of the sender is on
my store.

Now, I see that the mail is about 37kb in size. But Thunderbird does not
show any sign of an attachment on this mail.

Only when using the "View source" command I can see that there is something.

The attachment source starts like

> --------------000802040800080204010006
>
> MIJpzwYJKoZIhvcNAQcDoIJpwDCCabwCAQAxggMkMIIBgQIBADBpMGIxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlpB
> MSUwIwYDVQQKExxUaGF3dGUgQ29uc3VsdGluZyAoUHR5KSBMdGQuMSwwKgYDVQQDEyNUaGF3

Why does this attachment not get recognized by Thunderbird/Mozilla?

thanks
Jens

Re: application/pkcs7-mime not supported?

Ace-2
Jens Ansorg wrote:

> hi,
>
> I got an email containing an attachment that was digitally encrypted by
> the sender (using a smart card device and some software on windows pc)
>
> When I received the mail in Thunderbird I got asked for the security
> device password and provided that. The certificate of the sender is on
> my store.
>
> Now, I see that the mail is about 37kb in size. But Thunderbird does not
> show any sign of an attachment on this mail.
>
> Only when using the "View source" command I can see that there is
> something.
>
> The attachment source starts like
>
>> --------------000802040800080204010006
>>
>> MIJpzwYJKoZIhvcNAQcDoIJpwDCCabwCAQAxggMkMIIBgQIBADBpMGIxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlpB
>> MSUwIwYDVQQKExxUaGF3dGUgQ29uc3VsdGluZyAoUHR5KSBMdGQuMSwwKgYDVQQDEyNUaGF3
>

> Why does this attachment not get recognized by Thunderbird/Mozilla?
>

> thanks
> Jens
What email app was the sender using?

Jens Ansorg wrote:

> hi,
>
> I got an email containing an attachment that was digitally encrypted by
> the sender (using a smart card device and some software on windows pc)
>
> When I received the mail in Thunderbird I got asked for the security
> device password and provided that. The certificate of the sender is on
> my store.
>
> Now, I see that the mail is about 37kb in size. But Thunderbird does not
> show any sign of an attachment on this mail.
>
> Only when using the "View source" command I can see that there is
> something.
>
> The attachment source starts like
>
>> --------------000802040800080204010006
>>
>> MIJpzwYJKoZIhvcNAQcDoIJpwDCCabwCAQAxggMkMIIBgQIBADBpMGIxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlpB
>> MSUwIwYDVQQKExxUaGF3dGUgQ29uc3VsdGluZyAoUHR5KSBMdGQuMSwwKgYDVQQDEyNUaGF3
>

> Why does this attachment not get recognized by Thunderbird/Mozilla?
>

> thanks
> Jens
Found this:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/firefoxhks/chapter/hack27.pdf

It seems to indicate that Firefox (and therefore I would hope TB as
well) supports x-pkcs-mime.

Ace wrote:

> What email app was the sender using?

some more data from the header of the email message (the body was empty,
only an attachment):

Ace wrote:

> It seems to indicate that Firefox (and therefore I would hope TB as
> well) supports x-pkcs-mime.

ok, but the senders Thunderbird-1.0.6 created a different mime as
content type:

application/pkcs7-mime

hm, I'll go and file a bug about this

Jens

Re: application/pkcs7-mime not supported?

gwtc
Jens Ansorg wrote:

> Ace wrote:
>
>> It seems to indicate that Firefox (and therefore I would hope TB as
>> well) supports x-pkcs-mime.
>

> ok, but the senders Thunderbird-1.0.6 created a different mime as
> content type:
>
> application/pkcs7-mime
>
> hm, I'll go and file a bug about this
>

> Jens
the mime types only work if there is a program defined on how to open
the pkcs file.  Nothing was mentioned, so I don't know how to open the
file.

Re: application/pkcs7-mime not supported?

i.speiser
> Now, I see that the mail is about 37kb in size. But Thunderbird does not
> show any sign of an attachment on this mail.
>
> Only when using the "View source" command I can see that there is something.
>
> The attachment source starts like
>
> > --------------000802040800080204010006

I've got the same problem (tested in Mozilla Suite and Thunderbird)
receiving digitally signed mails. Mozilla doesn't even recognize, there
is an anttachment even though it ist visible in the mail source.
I tried specifying the mime-type in the Preferences - but this seems to
have no effect.

My colleague can receive the same documents in Outlook without any
problems. As she doesn't have the ecryption-plugin for that special
signature, Outlook shows the attachment and allows saving the file. I'd
be very glad about an option in Mozialla enabling me to see the
attachment and save it to a file.

I.Speiser