[ann] Custom Proguard JAR now required; Android SDK moved to toolchain tasks in automation

[ann] Custom Proguard JAR now required; Android SDK moved to toolchain tasks in automation

Nicholas Alexander
Hi folks,

I just landed a mess of code that makes the Fennec build require a custom Proguard JAR [1] (i.e., not one in the Android SDK) and that migrates the Android SDK fetching from tooltool to the new shiny toolchain tasks [2].  The Android Gradle dependency fetching will migrate soon too [3].

Assuming this sticks, *you will need to fetch this new Proguard JAR*.  You can do so with

|./mach artifact toolchain -v --from-build proguard-jar|

If that doesn't work, it may be that the JAR hasn't made it's way into the toolchain indexes yet.  Try

|env MOZ_SCM_LEVEL=1 ./mach artifact toolchain -v --from-build proguard-jar|

The Android SDK toolchain task means that you can bump http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozboot/mozboot/android-packages.txt in a try build and automatically get an updated SDK.

The Android Gradle dependency fetching task will soon mean that you can bump **/*.gradle and get updated Gradle dependencies in your Gradle build.

This is all in service of transitioning to Gradle in Fennec 58 [4].

Please let me and Max Liu, my partner in crime, know about fallout.  Let's hope it all sticks!

Yours,
Nick

Re: [ann] Custom Proguard JAR now required; Android SDK moved to toolchain tasks in automation

Nicholas Alexander
Hi all,

<snip>

Please let me and Max Liu, my partner in crime, know about fallout.  Let's hope it all sticks!

I made some errors with the installation process messaging [1] [2].  You'll want to run

|cd ~/.mozbuild && mach artifact toolchain --from-build proguard-jar|

(You might need the full path to |mach|.)

Many thanks to JanH for filing these tickets.

Nick