add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

Roberto Perotti
Hi,

i want to add spidermonkey to links 2.9 browser for add js capabilty

http://links.twibright.com/download/links-2.9.tar.gz

I'm intersted especially to dos version compiled with DJGPP because actually NO ONE DOS browser support javascript pages.

I'm a beginner with c / c++ , but i hope in support froma patient spidermonkey expert.

Many thanks in advance

Roberto iw2evk

Milan

Re: add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

Eric Shepherd
I, for one, think this would be an awesome thing to see.

Eric Shepherd
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 17, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Roberto Perotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i want to add spidermonkey to links 2.9 browser for add js capabilty
>
> http://links.twibright.com/download/links-2.9.tar.gz
>
> I'm intersted especially to dos version compiled with DJGPP because actually NO ONE DOS browser support javascript pages.
>
> I'm a beginner with c / c++ , but i hope in support froma patient spidermonkey expert.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Roberto iw2evk
>
> Milan

Re: add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

Jason Orendorff-2
Hi Roberto,

This would be truly awesome, but it's not a job for a C++ beginner. There
are two big challenges I can see from here:

1. Embedding a JS engine is not enough to run the scripts in web pages. You
would also have to implement the DOM. This is a massive undertaking.

2. Unlike most libraries, SpiderMonkey's API changes with each release.
It's hard for users to keep up with the pace of change.

If you still want to proceed, you can start by building your own
--enable-debug build of SpiderMonkey <
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/SpiderMonkey/Build_Documentation#Building_SpiderMonkey>
and tinkering with js/src/shell/js.cpp to see how JS and C++ code interact.

-j

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Roberto Perotti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want to add spidermonkey to links 2.9 browser for add js capabilty
>
> http://links.twibright.com/download/links-2.9.tar.gz

Re: add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

Eric Shepherd
This would, indeed, be an amazing and cool project with fairly significant benefits for a lot of users. But also, indeed, a very large and complex project, as Jason suggested.

It might be to your benefit to find other people interested in such a project and to form a team to work together to make it happen.

Eric Shepherd
Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 2:01 PM, Jason Orendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would be truly awesome, but it's not a job for a C++ beginner.

Re: add spidermonkey to links 2.9 (use djgpp compiler)

Wes Garland
It might be possible to implement enough of the DOM to be useful mostly in
JavaScript.  There are already starting points out there.

Wes

On 25 January 2015 at 11:55, Eric Shepherd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This would, indeed, be an amazing and cool project with fairly significant
> benefits for a lot of users. But also, indeed, a very large and complex
> project, as Jason suggested.
>
> It might be to your benefit to find other people interested in such a
> project and to form a team to work together to make it happen.
>
> Eric Shepherd
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Jan 21, 2015, at 2:01 PM, Jason Orendorff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This would be truly awesome, but it's not a job for a C++ beginner.

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.
+1 613 542 2787 x 102