accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Mortman
Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0

I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
m.s.thunderbird.

How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

caver1-5
On 06/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>
> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
> m.s.thunderbird.
>
> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?

You will have to subscribe to news.mozilla.org to get the Moziila
Firefox/Thunderbird support groups in Thunderbird. After you subcribe to
news.mozilla.org,
Click on your news.mozilla.org listing in your folder pane. Then click
on Manage newsgroup subscriptions. Then in the box that shows up in Show
items that contain type in Firefox/Thunderbird and select mozilla
support Firefox/Thunderbird then click the subscribe button the okay.
They will then be listed under news.mozilla.org

--
Caver1

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

WaltS48-9
On 6/13/18 1:09 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 06/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
>> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>>
>> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
>> m.s.thunderbird.
>>
>> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
>>

> You will have to subscribe to news.mozilla.org to get the Moziila
> Firefox/Thunderbird support groups in Thunderbird. After you subcribe to
> news.mozilla.org,

They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re:accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Libor Striz
Mortman <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>
> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
> m.s.thunderbird.
>
> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?

Just to be sure ..
May it happen you are confused by the displaying shortcut scheme,
where m.s.*
stands for mozilla.support.* ?

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 6/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>
> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
> m.s.thunderbird.
>
> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?

Thank you to all who replied.

I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.

I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P

On 06/13/2018 01:21 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 6/13/18 1:09 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> On 06/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
>>> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>>>
>>> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
>>> m.s.thunderbird.
>>>
>>> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
>>>

>> You will have to subscribe to news.mozilla.org to get the Moziila
>> Firefox/Thunderbird support groups in Thunderbird. After you subcribe
>> to news.mozilla.org,
>

> They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.

I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I see
the same thing so?
--
Caver1

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Big Al-3
On 06/13/2018 01:39 PM, Mortman wrote:

> On 6/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
>> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>>
>> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
>> m.s.thunderbird.
>>
>> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
>>

> Thank you to all who replied.
>
> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
> were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>
> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P

The Thunderbird program itself (if you don't use it) can be set to
abbreviate those long newsgroup names, so it does with
mozilla.support.firefox but only abbreviates the first two parts, on the
screen.   So users have gotten into the habit of using the same terms.

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

PietB-2
Mortman wrote:
> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
> were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P

It was new age that invented the confusing abbreviations. :-)

-p

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Good Guy-2
On 13/06/2018 18:39, Mortman wrote:

> On 6/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
>> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>>
>> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
>> m.s.thunderbird.
>>
>> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
>>

> Thank you to all who replied.
>
> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and
> m.s.firefox were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>
> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P

Just noticed that nobody has told you how to correct this phenomenon in
Thunderbird so I suggest launch the Config Editor and search for this
string:

|mail.server.default.abbreviate Then right-Click on it and change it to
false and you'll get the full names. |

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

EnDeeGee
On 13-Jun-2018 15:36, PietB wrote:
> Mortman wrote:
>> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
>> were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P
>
> It was new age that invented the confusing abbreviations. :-)
>
> -p

I hate abbreviations, they can be very confusing.

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Balaco ocalaB
Em 13-06-2018 16:56, 😉 Good Guy 😉 escreveu:

> On 13/06/2018 18:39, Mortman wrote:
>> On 6/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
>>> Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
>>>
>>> I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
>>> m.s.thunderbird.
>>>
>>> How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
>>>

>> Thank you to all who replied.
>>
>> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and
>> m.s.firefox were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>>
>> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P
>>

> Just noticed that nobody has told you how to correct this phenomenon in
> Thunderbird so I suggest launch the Config Editor and search for this
> string:
>
> |mail.server.default.abbreviate Then right-Click on it and change it to
> false and you'll get the full names. |

For all boolean settings (which can only be true or false) in that
screen, double clicking it to change may be easier.

--
=
        quem você é?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

EnDeeGee <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> On 13-Jun-2018 15:36, PietB wrote:
>> Mortman wrote:
>>> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
>>> were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>>> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P
>>
>> It was new age that invented the confusing abbreviations. :-)
>>
>> -p
>>

> I hate abbreviations, they can be very confusing.

The abbreviations of words or terms are not the worst. Explanation
 atvthe first occurance or Acronym finder  usually fixes
 that.

Worse are abbreviations  of ideas, distorting their nature while
 looking OK.

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Re: accessing m.s.Firefox and m.s.Thunderbird

Daniel-2
Caver1 wrote on 14/06/18 04:32:

> On 06/13/2018 01:21 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> You will have to subscribe to news.mozilla.org to get the Moziila
>>> Firefox/Thunderbird support groups in Thunderbird. After you subcribe
>>> to news.mozilla.org,
>>
>> They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.
>
> I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
> X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
> number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
> So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
> Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I see
> the same thing so?

I'm thinking that the news.mozilla.org server is actually hosted on the
giganews.com server. .... but what would I know??
--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Daniel <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> Caver1 wrote on 14/06/18 04:32:

>>> They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.
>>
>> I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
>> X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
>> number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
>> So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
>> Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I see
>> the same thing so?
>
> I'm thinking that the news.mozilla.org server is actually hosted on the
> giganews.com server. .... but what would I know??

Rather in giganews.com domain.

News.mozilla.org CNAME news.mozilla.giganews.com
--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 6/14/18 4:47 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Caver1 wrote on 14/06/18 04:32:

>>> They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.
>>
>> I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
>> X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
>> number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
>> So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
>> Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I
>> see the same thing so?
>
> I'm thinking that the news.mozilla.org server is actually hosted on the
> giganews.com server. .... but what would I know??

<Mozilla newsgroups are sponsored by Giganews Newsgroups, to whom we are
very grateful.>

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/>

On 06/14/2018 04:47 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Caver1 wrote on 14/06/18 04:32:

>>> They posted to mozilla.general so most likely has the server setup.
>>
>> I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
>> X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
>> number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
>> So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
>> Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I
>> see the same thing so?
>
> I'm thinking that the news.mozilla.org server is actually hosted on the
> giganews.com server. .... but what would I know??

Yes That's what I'm know guess also. I thought, evidently wrongly, that
Mozilla hosted it's own.

--
Caver1

On 6/13/2018 1:39 PM, Mortman wrote:

> On 6/13/2018 12:46 PM, Mortman wrote:
> > Using Win 10, v. 1803; TB 52.8.0
> >
> > I have seen several references to the newsgroups?? m.s.firefox and
> > m.s.thunderbird.
> >
> > How can I add those to my current newsgroups on thunderbird?
> >

> Thank you to all who replied.
>
> I was under the impression that mozilla.support.firefox and m.s.firefox
> were two different groups. Ditto for Tbird.
>
> I guess old age is starting to get to me.:-P

Wow! I thank all those who participated in updating me as to the modern
world of abbreviations.

It reminded me of the old days when this was an active group with
participants always anxious to help eachother. It was so good to see
everyone jumping in trying to help.

I was happy to learn that m.s.mozilla groups will still be around for a
while. I've been a follower for a long time and I look forward to
lurking and participating for a long time to come.

Thanx guys.

WaltS48 wrote:
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/>

"If you think a new Mozilla discussion forum is needed, file a bug"
New newsgroups used to be created with a newgroup control message.
With Mozilla it's apparently a newbug control message. :-)

-p

On 14/06/2018 17:18, Mortman wrote:

> I've been a follower for a long time and I look forward to lurking and
> participating for a long time to come.

In that case you need to know that there are dedicated newsgroups for
Firefox and Thunderbird so you need to use them for technical questions
and answers and helping other Mozilla product users.

This particular newsgroup is for general discussions and it does attract
spammers from time to time.  the two dedicated newsgroups have a
moderator who is clamping down on people who drift away from the main
question.

Good luck.

Libor Striz wrote on 14/06/18 19:42:

> Daniel <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:
>> Caver1 wrote on 14/06/18 04:32:

>>> I thought so except if you look at the OPs header it states>
>>> X-Usenet-Provider http://www.giganews.com and Xref
>>> number.nntp.giganews.com:111986mozilla.general.
>>> So it made me question that he was posting from news.mozilla.general.
>>> Now that I'm looking at other posts to in the Mozilla news groups I see
>>> the same thing so?
>>
>> I'm thinking that the news.mozilla.org server is actually hosted on the
>> giganews.com server. .... but what would I know??
>
> Rather in giganews.com domain.
>
> News.mozilla.org CNAME news.mozilla.giganews.com

See!! What would I know?? ;-)