access mail message from rdf datasource

susisahne
Message

Hello,

I want to extract mail message information from rdf datasource "msgaccountmanager" and then display it with a xul template.  I already made it to navigate to the inbox and its subfolders. I even can get the number of messages in the folders but I don't know how to grab the single messages!

I surfed the internet for information of the structure of the rdf resource containing email accounts. I ended up with the hint to use the predicate http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#MessageChild to access a mail message. But how to go further?? How to retrieve subject, recipients, sender and so on?

I hope someone who is familiar with the mozilla content model can help me with this problem. Any hint appreciated.

Susisahne

Re: access mail message from rdf datasource

Neil-4
[hidden email] wrote:

>I want to extract mail message information from rdf datasource "msgaccountmanager" and then display it with a xul template.  I already made it to navigate to the inbox and its subfolders. I even can get the number of messages in the folders but I don't know how to grab the single messages!
>I surfed the internet for information of the structure of the rdf resource containing email accounts. I ended up with the hint to use the predicate http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#MessageChild to access a mail message. But how to go further?? How to retrieve subject, recipients, sender and so on?

Although during early development the mail message information was
initially provided using RDF this was retired in favour of a faster
solution. However I do not know my way around the current mail database
APIs.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: access mail message from rdf datasource

Gavin Doughtie
If I want to get the body (or, indeed, the complete raw source) of an
email message from my XUL/js code, is there an concise example in the
codebase somewhere?

Gavin Doughtie wrote:

> If I want to get the body (or, indeed, the complete raw source) of an
> email message from my XUL/js code, is there an concise example in the
> codebase somewhere?

I don't know of a concise JS example; the only useful one I know of is
the junk mail filter, but that's C++.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: access mail message from rdf datasource

Mustafa Akhun
Neil wrote:
> Although during early development the mail message information was
> initially provided using RDF this was retired in favour of a faster
> solution.

I didn't know this. That was an issue I was looking for an answer for
months. Do you know any other reason beside the "faster solution".

If Data and .msf files are faster and efficient than the RDFs, these
files can also be used to represent any dynamic content in trees instead
of RDFs. Is that proposition true?

Mustafa

Re: access mail message from rdf datasource

Neil-4
Trees support any dynamic content that can provide an nsITreeView
interface. However only the content and RDF data sources are provided by
default.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: access mail message from rdf datasource

Neil Deakin
Mustafa Akhun wrote:
> If Data and .msf files are faster and efficient than the RDFs, these
> files can also be used to represent any dynamic content in trees instead
> of RDFs. Is that proposition true?

No, it was the building of many DOM nodes that was slow. .msf files were
used before also. The tree widget was converted to support data that
came from an nsITreeView instead of DOM nodes. In this case, the mail
message list was modified to implement this interface directly and not
use templates.

/ Neil