Youtube support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Youtube support

Dave Saville-7
Watching a video just now and got a popup saying that my version of FF
was old and they were soon going to drop support. This was with not
quite the latest beta drop.
--
Regards
Dave Saville
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Saville schrieb:
> Watching a video just now and got a popup saying that my version of FF
> was old and they were soon going to drop support. This was with not
> quite the latest beta drop.
>
Just tried out with Seamonkey 2.14 and got a message saying some rubbish
about actual version. Clicking on no thanks and it works fine. So no
problem here. And if it was I would use PrefBar with faked UserAgent.

Do you use flash? I only use html5 even when playing with Windoze as I
boycott such crappy shit of software in general.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Dave Saville-7
Dave Saville wrote:
> Watching a video just now and got a popup saying that my version of FF
> was old and they were soon going to drop support. This was with not
> quite the latest beta drop.
>

It is old, latest ESR is 31.4.0 (in testing) and regular release is soon
to be 35. Google and various other sites have stated that they're only
going to support latest and latest-1 versions though in practice the ESR
versions are also supported. I believe YouTube is or will be moving to
VP9 which our Mozilla doesn't yet support.
Unluckily we're falling behind, bitwise has a lot on its plate and
limited time for Mozilla. How hard updating is going to be I don't know,
in theory the branches can be merged but I'm sure it'll be a lot of
work, especially now with all the OS/2 code removed. I looked into
trying but the main tree is too big fo rme to download, even over the
libraries wi-fi.
Perhaps Java and Flash should be sacrificed for the browser, they're
both going away slowly due to all the vulnerabilities and Chrome has
already dropped support for NP plugins.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Andreas Buchinger
On 01/11/15 04:19 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
> Dave Saville schrieb:
>> Watching a video just now and got a popup saying that my version of FF
>> was old and they were soon going to drop support. This was with not
>> quite the latest beta drop.
>>
> Just tried out with Seamonkey 2.14 and got a message saying some rubbish
> about actual version. Clicking on no thanks and it works fine. So no
> problem here. And if it was I would use PrefBar with faked UserAgent.

The problem comes when the browser doesn't support some functionality
demanded by the web site. For Youtube, VP9, libopus and H264 as well as
newer JavaScript are examples of things that will stop HTML5 video from
working no matter what your user agent is set to.

>
> Do you use flash? I only use html5 even when playing with Windoze as I
> boycott such crappy shit of software in general.

Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Andreas Schnellbacher-2
In reply to this post by Dave Saville-7
On 11.01.15 13:19, Andreas Buchinger wrote:

> Do you use flash? I only use html5 even when playing with Windoze as
> I boycott such crappy shit of software in general.

You probably mean the OS/2 port. Flash works well for supported OS. I
support the "shit" since Adobe had bought all the Macromedia stuff and
I don't like to support that firm, as far it is possible. In some
cases it's not. There exist many cases when there's no alternative.

Moreover, Flash is (sometimes unfortunately) so widely used that we
have to use it in some cases: Configuration software for professional
IT equipment comes sometimes with a component that requires a recent
Flash environment, while others require Java.

Compared to Java, Flash is years ahead regarding performance.
Therefore Flash was used more and more in the last years for
displaying active components. Flash videos could be replaced with HTML
5 files easily, but other stuff can't, while Java doesn't supply an
alternative.

The problem with Flash is that it allows a programmer to do
everything. That is surely required for configuring system components
and for superior visualization cases, e.g. of SCADA systems.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Steve Wendt
On 01/11/2015 04:41 PM, Andreas Schnellbacher wrote:

> You probably mean the OS/2 port. Flash works well for supported OS.

As long as we are nitpicking:

1) There is no OS/2 port, except for version 5.  There's only a wrapper
for running an old Win32 version.

2) Flash has to be constantly patched for security holes; granted, that
is part of good support.

3) Flash was discontinued on Android (all mobile platforms where it ever
existed, actually) and Linux.  Adobe has made it clear that they see
HTML5 as the future.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Youtube support

Andreas Buchinger
In reply to this post by Andreas Schnellbacher-2
Andreas Schnellbacher schrieb:
> On 11.01.15 13:19, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
>
>> Do you use flash? I only use html5 even when playing with Windoze as
>> I boycott such crappy shit of software in general.
>
> You probably mean the OS/2 port.

No, I mean even for my day time work on Windoze. Luckily I am in the
position to not use content which are delivered to me only through flash :-)

> Flash works well for supported OS.

Even on one of my mobile devices which claims full support for flash
(Blackberry), it does not work some times. Example, video streams from
Warpstock last year.

A proprietary software which needs constant security (whose security?)
updates. Nearly no one even knows what was changed in last version.
Nearly no one has a chance to know if it does help for which security
risk. A bloated software which hooks such a lot of computing resources
only to display a few pictures or a video. If I should guess I would say
this crappy shit of software is on of the widest accepted Trojan ever
written.

> ...
> The problem with Flash is that it allows a programmer to do
> everything. That is surely required for configuring system components
> and for superior visualization cases, e.g. of SCADA systems.
>

Sympathy and compassion to all people how can not avoid using flash. But
for configuring systems you surely would not need flash if the designer
of this system wasn't so stupid to decide this way. Hope you do not have
to configure systems important for health or public infrastructure.

Personally I think we should not dream anymore getting full flash
support on eCS - OS/2. Although some people made remarkable success to
run some flash on our platform we have to face the facts. Very soon our
platform can not provide the resources such monster apps like flash
demands I fear.

Enough off topic. Sorry for that.

Cheers,

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2