You cannot downgrade Firefox 55 profiles

You cannot downgrade Firefox 55 profiles

caver1-5
"In short: If you want to switch to ESR, it may be a good time to do so
before the Firefox 55 release. You may alternatively create a backup of
the Firefox profile before you upgrade to Firefox 55, and restore it
after you install Firefox ESR on your system.

Mozilla notes that the organization changed the "on-disk format of
persistent storage in profiles" in Firefox 55, and that this change is
the reason why you cannot downgrade to an earlier version of Firefox
after you used the profile on Firefox 55 or newer."

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-cannot-downgrade-firefox-55-profiles/
--
Caver1

Re: You cannot downgrade Firefox 55 profiles

Mark12547
In article <[hidden email]>, caver1
@inthemud.org says...
> You may alternatively create a backup of
> the Firefox profile before you upgrade to Firefox 55, and restore it
> after you install Firefox ESR on your system.

One Bugzilla comment I read said that, if you install a pre-55 Firefox
and it uses the same profile used by a 55-or-later Firefox, you can
reset the profile (about:support, click on "Refresh Firefox...") and it
will build a new profile but will preserve the browsing history,
bookmarks, and a bunch of stuff listed in this article:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-
settings
Note: extensions and extension settings will be lost, as well as other
settings listed in the article.

Re: You cannot downgrade Firefox 55 profiles

Lucifer Morningstar
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 14:12:05 -0400, Caver1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

>"In short: If you want to switch to ESR, it may be a good time to do so
>before the Firefox 55 release. You may alternatively create a backup of
>the Firefox profile before you upgrade to Firefox 55, and restore it
>after you install Firefox ESR on your system.

What is ESR?

>Mozilla notes that the organization changed the "on-disk format of
>persistent storage in profiles" in Firefox 55, and that this change is
>the reason why you cannot downgrade to an earlier version of Firefox
>after you used the profile on Firefox 55 or newer."

Uninstall the current version and install an earlier version.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/