XUL widgets extensions: invalid="true"

Alex Vincent
Recently I started a MozDev project, called XULWidgets, to host
extensions to the current XUL toolkit which I find useful.  One of the
biggest changes I've wanted to do is to mark inputs as invalid - that
is, when the contents of an input are just no good, indicate it to the
user.  I'd do so by setting an invalid="true" attribute on the input.

A few months ago, I had the idea of shading the background of a text
input red to indicate this.  I realized yesterday this doesn't do much
for color-blind people (and thus is an accessibility issue).

I'm wondering if anyone here has a better idea for indicating that an
input contains invalid data to the user.

Alex Vincent

Re: XUL widgets extensions: invalid="true"

Aaron Leventhal-3
Alex,

Thank you for using invalid="true". That will be easy for us to map in
the accessibility APIs. I think it would be good enough to simply check
for invalid on any XUL element. We should really be filing bugs to make
these widgets accessible, at least if they find their way into toolkit.

As for the visual appearance of invalid, what does XForms do -- it has
the same problem, right?

- Aaron

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Thank you for using invalid="true". That will be easy for us to map in
> the accessibility APIs. I think it would be good enough to simply check
> for invalid on any XUL element. We should really be filing bugs to make
> these widgets accessible, at least if they find their way into toolkit.

I'll accept accessibility bugs on xulwidgets.mozdev.org in the meantime :)

> As for the visual appearance of invalid, what does XForms do -- it has
> the same problem, right?

I did a quick lookaround on devmo, wikimo, and lxr.  I didn't see any
handling of invalidity in CSS terms.  That said, I haven't touched
XForms code, ever, so I honestly don't know.

Re: XUL widgets extensions: invalid="true"

Aaron Leventhal-3
Okay, XForms requires the author to style it themselves and provides no
fallback.

I recommend playing around with a red x, "no" sign (circle with line
through it) or stop sign in addition to using the red you already have
for the field. Whatever looks best and is most international.

- Aaron

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Okay, XForms requires the author to style it themselves and provides no
> fallback.
>
> I recommend playing around with a red x, "no" sign (circle with line
> through it) or stop sign in addition to using the red you already have
> for the field. Whatever looks best and is most international.
>
> - Aaron

Where would you put it for a multi-line textbox?  Upper right corner,
lower right corner, or under?