XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

theodore.tegos
Hello,

I am the author of the Xpunge extension for Thunderbird. It's an extension that uses XUL and requires a restart.

My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders the user has set up. I do this using 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

This stopped working in Thunderbird 60. I went through https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_57 but the few things I changed did not solve the problem.

Any idea what has changed in TB60 and how to solve this?

Thanks,

-Theodore

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Jörg Knobloch
On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders the user has set up. I do this using 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.

In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Jörg.

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Jörg Knobloch
On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get
> auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders
> the user has set up. I do this using
> 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and
> 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

(Resending)

Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.

In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Jörg.

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Aceman
Yes, RDF itself is still alive temporarily in TB source tree, but the XUL templates feature is dead.
If you just need a list of accounts or folders, please use the JS implemented folder picker, <menupopup type="folder">, you'll find a lot of examples in TB source, see https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/search?q='type%3D%22folder%22'&redirect=false .

> Od: Jörg Knobloch <[hidden email]>
> Komu: [hidden email]
> Dátum: 13.08.2018 09:19
> Predmet: Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped
>
>On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
>> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders the user has set up. I do this using 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.
>
>Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
>template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
>60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.
>
>In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
>and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Jörg Knobloch-2
On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get
> auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders
> the user has set up. I do this using
> 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and
> 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

(Resending)

Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.

In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Jörg.

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Jörg Knobloch-2
On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get
> auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders
> the user has set up. I do this using
> 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and
> 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

(Resending)

Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.

In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Jörg.

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Jörg Knobloch-2
On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get
> auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders
> the user has set up. I do this using
> 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and
> 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.

(Resending, 2nd time)

Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.

In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Jörg.

===

Copying some text from the Bible to trick the SPAM filter. This is the
third time I'm trying to send this :-(

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the
earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep,
and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw
that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5
God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And
there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate
water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under
the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault
“sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place,
and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground
“land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it
was good.

11 Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants
and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to
their various kinds.” And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation:
plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit
with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to
separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark
sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault
of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two
great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to
govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault
of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the
night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was
good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let
birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God
created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which
the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds,
and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was
good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number
and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the
earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to
their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground,
and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God
made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according
to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground
according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so
that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,
over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the
creatures that move along the ground.”

27
So God created mankind in his own image,
     in the image of God he created them;
     male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in
number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and
the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the
ground.”

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of
the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will
be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the
birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the
ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green
plant for food.” And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was
evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 11:58:07 AM UTC+2, Aceman wrote:

> Yes, RDF itself is still alive temporarily in TB source tree, but the XUL templates feature is dead.
> If you just need a list of accounts or folders, please use the JS implemented folder picker, <menupopup type="folder">, you'll find a lot of examples in TB source, see https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/search?q='type%3D%22folder%22'&redirect=false .

> > Od: Jörg Knobloch <[hidden email]>
> > Komu: [hidden email]
> > Dátum: 13.08.2018 09:19
> > Predmet: Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped
> >
> >On 12/08/2018 17:00, [hidden email] wrote:
> >> My extension has a preferences dialog where a tree and a menulist get auto-populated from an rdf data source with the email accounts/folders the user has set up. I do this using 'datasources="rdf:msgaccountmanager rdf:mailnewsfolders"' and 'ref="msgaccounts:/"' properties on the tree and the menulist elements.
> >
> >Hmm, I'm not a XUL expert, but this looks dangerously like a XUL
> >template. XUL templates got removed from M-C in mozillaNN, where nn <
> >60. Sorry, that's not mentioned in the "add-ons 57" guide.
> >
> >In Thunderbird, it broke the various things, most prominently the IMAP
> >and NNTP/News subscribe dialog which we had to implement in some other way.

Thanks for the replies guys, they have been very helpful. I am working on fixing the preferences dialog, but I have a couple of questions already:

- What kind of "mode" should I choose (I have seen "filters", "filing" and "search", but no explanation), and how does it affect the menupopup contents?

- Can I do any filtering with the new way, as when using templates? For example exclude nntp accounts and accounts/folders that cannot be compacted?

- Does type="folder" apply only to menupopups? Is there any way I can recreate the tree element with the email accounts, which I was also doing with rdf and templates? Looks like this: http://www.theodoretegos.net/arxeia/tree-email-accounts.jpg

Thanks in advance,

-Theodore

Re: XUL extension in TB60: RDF generated tree and menulist stopped working in preferences dialog

Dave Yeo-3
Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> (Resending, 2nd time)

Hi Jörg, something seems broken at your end as your messages are showing
up fine here (on the newsgroup) and your reply has shown up 5 times so far
Dave

On 16/08/2018 02:54, Dave Yeo wrote:
> Hi Jörg, something seems broken at your end as your messages are
> showing up fine here (on the newsgroup) and your reply has shown up 5
> times so far

Actually, that's not the case. I sent this yesterday and it didn't get
delivered: